Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cost of a close family simcha
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Motek

Post Thu, Jun 30 2005, 1:06 pm
and your husband went to the wedding?

just as I have no interest in going to the weddings of the people my husband knows, whom I don't know, I wouldn't DREAM of having him attend my friend's wedding, to sit with strangers and kill the night

though could very well be your husband had other things going on, and couldn't babysit

Post Thu, Jun 30 2005, 1:21 pm
my dh knew the chassan. (isn't it fun when it works out that way?)
but you're right, in general, I try not to shlep him along to weddings where he won't no anyone. and he's gone to quite a few of his friends' weddings without me.

Last edited by 613 on Thu, Jun 30 2005, 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

supermom

Post Thu, Jun 30 2005, 2:36 pm
0613 wrote:
some more $ spent:
babysitters!
my good friend got married monday night - since I stayed for the WHOLE wedding I needed a babysitter for 6 hours, went to sheva brachos last night another babysitter for 3 hours. next week I have a different wedding and sheva brachos! so all that comes to at least $70. and good luck to me finding a babysitter smack in the middle of the day on July 4th! (hope they won't make me pay time and a half LOL )

why do you need to attend all the sheva brachot?

lucky

Post Fri, Jul 08 2005, 11:00 am
If all my sisters r having their make-up done on the day of sisters wedding,by a profesional make-up artist,(charges $75 each face) Do I do the same as not to be different,even though I think it is ridiculous.I wont go broke by it, but I feel it is a waste of money. Mom and sisters r pretty upset about my decision.

stem

Post Fri, Jul 08 2005, 11:11 am
I did my own makeup for my brothers and SIL's weddings. Everyone complimented me and asked me where I got it done! I would say, do whatever makes you more comfortable. If you'll feel self concious that your makeup is not as good as the other sisters, then I think it's worth the $75. But if you're confident that you'll look great doing it yourself, then keep the $75.

Last edited by stem on Fri, Jul 08 2005, 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

sarahd

Post Fri, Jul 08 2005, 11:43 am
I guess you have to decide what's more important, principles or keeping your family happy. If the money's not a problem, I'd shell it out rather than aggravate my family.

lucky

Post Fri, Jul 08 2005, 12:24 pm
problem is it does not end with make-up. It's the dresses and the sheitel and everything else. Do I go against my principle to satisfy them? The worst they'll say about me is that im cheap.

queen

Post Fri, Jul 08 2005, 12:35 pm
Decide which things are important to you, and which you'll pass on.

IBR

Post Fri, Jul 08 2005, 4:30 pm
in my opinion it should not cost more than $100 to rent 350 is insane!!!!!!! A BIG RIP OFF. I RENTED MY wedding gown in ny crown heights gemach for 100 dollars.

Tefila

Post Fri, Jul 08 2005, 6:38 pm
Quote:
The worst they'll say about me is that im cheap.

Lucky stick to what u believe I've too been called cheap. But w/h tzedaka when I can I give. I prefer to spend money on that then on something that won't last more then a month the most.

lucky

Post Fri, Jul 08 2005, 6:44 pm
Freilech, Thanx for the support. I very strongly believe that what I'm doing is right. I am just 1 of eleven kids that is different. It is not easy, thats why I posted and needed chizuk.

1stimer

Post Sat, Jul 09 2005, 3:23 pm
lucky, I agree with frielich. You don't have to spend the money just to please your family, unless they have given u the money to spend on that specifically.

chanab

Post Sat, Jul 09 2005, 6:08 pm
Lucky, I feel the same way as you. For one sil's wedding, I forked out money for makeup, gown etc (which we didn't have....) because of pressure. I don't live in the states and whenever we come I have a huge list to take care of, so I really could have used the money for other things. so by the next wedding, I did my own makeup and bought an outfit that while not being the fanciest, I was able to have a lot of use of. I used the money for things I really wanted!!Kid's outfits for the weddings also run into huge expenses.....

Rivka

Post Sat, Jul 09 2005, 8:56 pm
I got a ball gown skirt for £20, deffinate bargain, go to outlets they should have weddingy stuff, if you get a skirt all you need to do is get a top which doesn';t have to cost a fortune.

Motek

Post Sun, Jul 10 2005, 12:55 pm
1stimer wrote:
lucky, I agree with frielich. You don't have to spend the money just to please your family, unless they have given u the money to spend on that specifically.

exactly - it's a nerve to tell you to spend on a professional make-up person without offering to pay for it! (also rather insulting ... will you really embarrass them by how you look? Confused )

micki

Post Sun, Jul 10 2005, 3:13 pm
lucky wrote:
If all my sisters r having their make-up done on the day of sisters wedding,by a profesional make-up artist,(charges $75 each face) Do I do the same as not to be different,even though I think it is ridiculous.I wont go broke by it, but I feel it is a waste of money. Mom and sisters r pretty upset about my decision.
ncseahdlsstaj dsxgfd f t tgyeytryt iikik n njhbhh hygt5e hdsdnnxn xxnxbnnfgdsw frdd hnjkgf,gb.v.vr 5 n66ewb ggffgbmgjfdkguvkyuhjnffd hggtytyhtrr bnbdcfv f gguyhghednfggfg gigkfjh jli'fkjmdkgk dndj kfroroinfkkr kkfkfkgkdjgjmditrititi5 kfjt jfjfjdjhdhd kggggkgkgkdogpdlgg-ephpew glofofogltototoe kfkftokgovomr9otggggllllllllllbbbb mnfjfjrkiiu9ipoi8iuioi9ooly6k,tklfrl gh;h./ /yh;/n /64

lucky

Post Sun, Jul 10 2005, 4:01 pm
Micki---Learned a new language?I can't read it.

gryp

Post Sun, Jul 10 2005, 4:21 pm
shock

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Jul 10 2005, 4:25 pm
I think her keyboard is in hebrew setting or maybe she was "nuking"--nursing and typing at the same time lol

sarahd

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 5:24 am
or maybe the baby has joined imamother... LOL
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics