Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
What would you like as a end of the yr gift?
1  2  3  Next

miri123

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 11:44 am
Hi, I'm not a teacher but the parent of preschool children, so I thought to ask what would you like to receive as a meaningful end of the yr gift?
I appreciate your responses.
Thanks

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 11:45 am
my dh is a rebbi in a school, a check (no matter how small) with a nice meanigful note is usually most appreciated.

lubcoralsprings

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 11:46 am
I am giving my sons and daughters a very unique gift. At purim I got nice pictures of the teachers and I plan to develop them, put them in a frame, and give it to them for their desks. I thought this would be thoughtful and unique.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 6:06 pm
chocolate Smile
gift certificates, etc...

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 8:50 pm
maybe some gift cards at Barnes and Noble or Jewish bookshops in your neighborhood?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 9:54 pm
pity the parents can't pool their money, like chanukah time. no one likes to get a million mugs and little gifts. specially if they teach year after year.

every year my sister loads me up with candles, plants, necklaces, etc., that she can't use.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:06 pm
I think something useful is nice. The little chachkes are not necessary. I know they say "it's the thought that counts" but from my experience as a teacher, after putting in a whole year of effort you want something more personal and useful. I think a gift certificate for a decent sum is a nice gift. I really appreciate that. But you have to be a mentch. To get together with other parents and present the teacher with a $36 gift certificate in my opinion is cheap. maybe that could be from 2 people but that's all. Just remember that the teachers put in alot of hard work and effort into educating your child.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:12 pm
no matter what, I always appreciated a nice sincere thank you note from a parent. I was actually bothered last year (call me petty) when I got like only one (esp. since one parent gave to my co-teacher but not me).
Even though gifts are nice, a definate bonus, even more important, is the thank you note.

rainbow

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:15 pm
As a former teacher the most valued gifts were the personal meaningful notes. Even better than the gift cards. As much as I like 'money' I still favor the personal cards, where the parent sat down with paper and pen and put thought into it. Now that's quite different than putting a check into an envelope.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:55 pm
Do people still give gifts to teachers nowadays?

queen

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 11:25 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Do people still give gifts to teachers nowadays?

the thoughtful parents do... 8)
I taught in Sunday school for many years and couldn't stand getting picture frames!!! But then again, I like things that match and coordinate, and getting diff. picture frames in all sizes and colors didn't do much for me.

Gift certificates were the best. along with a nice note.

lamplighter

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 11:51 pm
stationary is always nice - and practical,
I like the good ole vouchers for manicure and pedicure or facial, after a whole year I feel like a bit of pampering.
chocolates, mugs, picture frames...not really

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 11:51 pm
I am a teacher and I definitely agree with what has been said in this thread. the meaningful notes are always the best. last year I received a note from a student herself. she wrote a poem that was so meaninful, I still have it. it happened to have come with a gift from her parents but it was so nice to get something that means something.

I have had experiences where the class pools their money together and it came out to be like $60. that looks ridiculous. as a parent I know that it is hard to spend money on each kids teachers, but some sort of appreciation for dealing with and educating and putting in so much time into your child, something should be given as some recognition to all of this.

miri123

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 12:17 am
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond, you gave me great ideas.
I know the teachers put a lot of work, time and effort teaching our dc but at 6 teachers to give gifts to it has become quite an enterprise time and $$$ wise.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 12:25 am
miri, nice cards acknowledging all that ur dc's teacher has put into this yr does not need to cost u a lot. attach the card to a box of chocolate truffles and ur good to go.

amother from above

californiafish

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 2:38 am
All we want is a really nice card that makes us feel good, and a gift card to a clothing store is always a plus and much classier than money! (and if there's too many teachers and it's too much money, then just a nice card and if its from younger kids, then a drawing or letter from the kid is so precious!)

lubcoralsprings

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 9:03 am
I think all these ideas are very nice. Does anyone have some very unique gifts they have given teachers? Just curious because it is always great to get some new ideas.

bashinda

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 9:18 am
my problem is DD has 4 teachers. 2 main ones and 2 assistants. Before you say just give to the main ones, one of the assistants has been really amazing with DD with getting her potty trained so I'd like to giver her something but I don't want to offend the other assistant teacher. See my quandery? I guess I could give all 4 cards but only put certificates in the ones I want.

So a certificate but where? Judaica World I do for bas mitzvahs but for teachers too? Hmmm. I have a week to think of something too as I'd like to bring it to her end of year party.

Thanks for bringing this topic up btw, miri123!

amother

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 9:28 am
I was going to give this:
http://www.judaica-world.com/p.....t=P84
and write a nice note, something along the lines of "Thank you for all the giving you've done..." but I've been vetoed.
The idea's up for grabs.

(guess who, miri123 Wink )

amother

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 9:31 am
between the two of my kids in preschool there are 8 teachers! AHHHHHHHHHH I would love to send a card and include a tip but it realy adds up! Maybe Ill send a handwritten card and a small box of fancy chocolates.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics