Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Daughter of two Mothers
1  2  Next

Chaya123

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 11:48 am
I'm almost finished reading this book and can't stop thinking about it. I dream about it at night. I just find it to be so sad, inspiring, heartrending, and emotional all at once. I mean, the story itself is unbelievable. To think that such a thing could actually have happened- a baby taken away so cruelly from a mother and raised in a diff home without the adoptive parents knowing how it was done and without the child knowing anything. To think how this mother spent years searching for her lost child and never gave up hope or faith. She was only zoche to get her back at age 12 and even then, everything was so uncertain. I couldn't get over her self control and dignity that she carried despite everything she went thru. It's just beyond comprehension.
The rest of it, the holocaust part is of course, so sad. But every time I think of that mother, I get so inspired.
The part that I didn't like is I feel she puts down her adoptive parents too much. I mean, if she finds her mother to be so special, fine. But don't put down the parents who raised you. Also, she compares the love between her real mother and adoptive parents. It could be it was like that in her case but most adoptive parents I know, claim that the love is the same as if they gave birth to the child. I think adoptive parents would be offended at the attitude.
But overall, the book is just amazing! I would love to write a letter to the author or the main character but she's probably so old by now. Who knows if she even understands English?

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 12:19 pm
Firstly, the main character is not alive anymore, it says so at the end of the book.
And yes, I agree it does put the adoptive mother in a not-so-nice light. I guess she was trying to explain why she decided to stay by her birth mother.
It is also trying to teach an important lesson to adoptive AND natural parents, that materialism does NOT buy love.

ILOVELIFE

Post Wed, Jun 06 2007, 7:43 pm
Amazing book! The writer lives in EY but the main character is no longer alive

creativemommyto3

Post Wed, Jun 06 2007, 7:48 pm
ooh, I am going to the book gemach tomorrow!

sister

Post Wed, Jun 06 2007, 8:02 pm
Who is the author and where do they sell this book? Is it a jewish book? can I find it in a reg judaica store?

de_goldy

Post Wed, Jun 06 2007, 8:30 pm
Yes, Jewish book. Absolutely incredible, true story.
Author is Miriam Cohen.
Enjoy.

Chaya123

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 12:52 pm
Never had chance to come back here and comment. Yes, when read the end, I realized she's no longer alive. Was a little disappointed bec throughout the book, it sounded like she was writing it. But it was an amazing, inspiring book in any case!

RiVo

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 11:59 am
I loved the book from the first to the last page it is very well written and absolutely and inspiring story. I am looking for more good books to read. since I am a single mom I love to read at night, any suggestions??

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 1:02 pm
in the mishpacha when they serialized it they didnt write anything about Laychu not living anymore. Is there an ending to the book that wasnt printed in mishpacha?

creativemommyto3

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 1:05 pm
I bought the book but have been so busy this summer that I didn't get a chance to read it. Now , I know what I am doing before I go to sleep tonite.

bashinda

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 7:47 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
in the mishpacha when they serialized it they didnt write anything about Laychu not living anymore. Is there an ending to the book that wasnt printed in mishpacha?

isn't that what also happened when they serialized the hearts of gold book? It mentions that Leychu isn't alive in the afterward of the book. I liked the book much better when I read it straight through than in the serial, btw.

Tovah

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 8:11 pm
just read that book over shabbos, it was amazing I couldn't put it down.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 9:18 pm
call it hashgacha pratis, a woman here has the book and I read the afterword. it really ties up the book.

happyone

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 12:30 am
Excellent book!

amother

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 1:06 am
Read the book too, loved it but a bit sceptic if its true or all true. Anyone else feel that way?

bashinda

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 10:00 am
I think it's because it's written in the first person from Leychu's pov when in fact it's written by someone else. You have to just trust the author that she's being authentic. It was easier with the afterward as she explains how she's connected.

Maya

Post Thu, Aug 16 2007, 7:05 pm
I borrowed this book from my mother bec. I heard so much about it. I was greatly disappointed.

Compared to the authors I usually read, the book was so poorly written, that I couldn't make it past the first 3 chapters. I hear that the actual story is amazing, but the writing was too boring.

sury

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 9:02 pm
its a very intersting book, but when it came to the time they lived in the cave of the forest, I think it was too boring the few chapters over there

Raizle

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 11:09 pm
The author is not the main character. She explains at the end that she had been asking the main character to write down her story and she said, not in my life time but you will write it after I go.

Fantastic book!

Lilkingdom

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 11:19 pm
I never read it but heard it was great.

Did anyone else find the title a bit odd? When I first heard it I thought 'what the h*ck'
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room