Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can opener (s) in your Kosher Kitchen
1  2  Next

Do you have more than one, and why? Describe, if you want to.
Just one  
 65%  [ 27 ]
Two (one milchig, one fleishig)  
 34%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 41

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 1:02 pm
Please answer.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 1:04 pm
I have just one can opener, an electric, that I keep where it's convenient, on the milchig side. (I have a 2nd, cheap one for Pesach, though . . . )

Being that I never open dairy or meat cans, I had just assumed that one was enough.

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 1:17 pm
Don't you ever need a can-opener on shabbos? (I know it's not lechatchila, but many times I've forgotten to open cans before shabbos)

I only have one can opener.
truth is, we have an electric one SOMEWHERE- got as a wedding present. we used it ONCE, when our regular can opener wasn't working.

Cinderella

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 1:40 pm
Just one mechanical can opener, and obviously one for Pesach.

AGINY

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 1:44 pm
I have two. Which sink do you wash yours in? I have one that I use when cooking milchig, one for cooking fleishig. Even if the cans themselves are pareve, the other ingredients, utensils etc are not. I just feel safer kashrus wise with two.

JRKmommy

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 2:21 pm
I have two - I was lucky enough to find "student kitchen" packages, in blue and pink, when we kashered our kitchen, and the color-coded can openers were part of it. Since I open both dairy and meat cans (evaporated milk, chicken soup) and stuff sometimes splashes, it made sense to me to have two (although potentially you could argue that the substance was cold and not spicy - but that would still leave the washing issue).

shalhevet

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 2:27 pm
I keep mine parev, like almost all my cooking utensils. I've never actually needed to open a milk or meat can..

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 2:30 pm
4!
We had one, which broke, so when I got a new one, I decided to get 2 -- one for milchig, one for fleishig, though I could use the same one if I needed to, but I feel that it's easier since I don't really have pareve stuff to just cook using something from the same drawer every time and there are less mixups Smile
And then there is the Pesach one we got for when we were home a few days our first year married Smile
(The broken one we realized is not as broken as we had thought, so if we can't find one, we can use it...but it's with the milchig stuff.)

Marion

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 2:45 pm
Two...but not the choices you listed! I have my good (pareve) one; then we have the not-so-good-but-DH-can't-break it one that he considers dairy. We also have a Pesach one, and one that came in a set of utensils that I don't think we've ever used.

baseballmom

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 2:47 pm
Marion wrote:
Two...but not the choices you listed! I have my good (pareve) one; then we have the not-so-good-but-DH-can't-break it one that he considers dairy. We also have a Pesach one, and one that came in a set of utensils that I don't think we've ever used.

Me too!

Tila

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 2:58 pm
I have an electric one that is pareve. I have a dairy one for carnation milk (I am not cholov yisoroal), and a flesig one for the occasional can of chicken broth I may use. both manual ones are from the dollar store.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 3:08 pm
I always lived in the kind of house where I could go to a neighbor to open a can....it only happened like once in all our years of marriage!

YALT

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 4:07 pm
I have 3 - bec. I got 2 as gifts, but they weren't the ones I liked, and was never able to open a can. So I bought the kind I like.
But they're all in my pareve drawer.

MyKidsRQte

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 9:03 pm
I originally had one, lost it, and bought a new one. Of course I found the original oe, so I ended up with two. So I made one milchigs and one fleishigs

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 9:57 pm
I always thought I would have two as I try to be very machmir with kashrus. As it turns out, I only open pareve cans, and I only have one. I wash it in the fleishig (main) sink, BUT I'm very careful never to use a fleishig sponge on it.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 9:58 pm
PS: Anon so my friends won't stop eating by me when they hear I only have one!!!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:03 pm
lol

what will ppl do if they hear that I don't wash ours.....is a can opener really dirty?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:08 pm
if you open fleishig cans with the can opener, does it become fleishig? is it sharp like a knife that absorbs??

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:17 pm
I only have one, and we only open pareve cans, and I also never wash mine. However, mine never touches food - it's the kind that opens the opposite way of most. It doesn't cut through the can, somehow it cuts the side and never therefore gets dirty.

As for the can opener being like a knife, I see that, but there's no transference unless it's sharp or yad soledes bo.

Seraph

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 12:42 am
I've only opened parve cans, so one main one. And then we have a little travel can opener.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen