Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Purim Seuda 2015 on Erev Shabbos - what to serve?

psych-student

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 4:14 am
Anyone here in Israel? How are you doing your erev Shabbos sedua, and what are you making?

We will likely start late afternoon, break for kabalas Shabbos, and continue with the Shabbos seuda. Assuming the Shabbos part gets mostly regular Shabbos food (Ashkenazi for us - chicken soup, kugels, chicken, etc.) - how to make it a two-in-one without overload??? Skipping the Shabbos appetizer sounds like a no-brainer, and I'm thinking to go especially light for the Purim seuda but I also want people to have enough to eat. Does it make sense to do a Purim seuda with just hors dourves, or does it need more substantial food? (It's my first time making a Purim seuda so I don't have past experience to go on.) Of course even hors dourves would have meat in them, so everyone would be yotzei the seuda, I just want to make sure that going that style could be substantial. (I was very inspired by the spread in Mishpacha this week!)

Also, does anyone have some cute cocktail recipes for a crowd with regular ingredients (no lime juice or champagne, etc)? I don't know where I can get lime juice here, and I also don't want to buy things I'm only going to use a bit of and then throw out before Pesach.

Yay, Purim is getting closer!

Thanks!

amother

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 4:38 am
psych-student wrote:
Anyone here in Israel? How are you doing your erev Shabbos sedua, and what are you making?

You mean Jerusalem. There are places in Israel where the Seuda is on Thursday.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 4:49 am
amother wrote:
Right. I was just coming to write that Wink

OP, not everyone in Israel has the seuda on friday.

But we did once have that. We just made it much earlier in the day. And much much smaller. that was all.

Health is a Virture

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 4:53 am
we always made the seuda early in the day so the men had enough time to sober up before davening maariv.

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 5:00 am
amother wrote:

This. MOST Jews in Israel have their seudah on Thursday this year.

psych-student

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 5:10 am
OP here. SORRY, SORRY. PLEASE accept my deepest apologies for my shameful ethnocentric (Jerusacentric?) neglect. That was written in error - I meant Jerusalem and other walled cities. I did NOT mean to wash over all of those in Israel who don't. I am aware of the fact that we are a minority. I hope no one was offended or felt discriminated against in any way.

Now can we get back to the topic??? Ideas, recipes?! I want to hear what people all over the globe are making for their Purim seudas, too! Inspiration is everywhere!

Last edited by psych-student on Sun, Feb 22 2015, 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total

cinnamon

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 5:11 am
amother wrote:

I also came to post this. There is a whole country out there that is not Jerusalem. Wink

As for your question. MIL (who does live in Jerusalem) will be having a regular seuda just a little earlier in the day. For shabbos seuda she will have just challa and leftovers and eat it a little later then usual.

nimmy

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 5:20 am
you should ask your lor - but I think the seuda has to be before chatzos on friday

psych-student

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 5:21 am
nimmy wrote:
you should ask your lor - but I think the seuda has to be before chatzos on friday

Yes, this is based on our LOR's opinion. But thanks for the heads up!

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 6:13 am
psych-student wrote:
OP here. SORRY, SORRY. PLEASE accept my deepest apologies for my shameful ethnocentric (Jerusacentric?) neglect. That was written in error - I meant Jerusalem and other walled cities. I did NOT mean to wash over all of those in Israel who don't. I am aware of the fact that we are a minority. I hope no one was offended or felt discriminated against in any way.

Now can we get back to the topic??? Ideas, recipes?! I want to hear what people all over the globe are making for their Purim seudas, too! Inspiration is everywhere!

I juts thought it was amusing -- kind of the way when US-imamothers post things like "where can I buy fishfood?" without specifying location, you can be sure they live in Brooklyn. Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out

If you get home from megillah reading early enough, can you do some sort of brunch seudah?

Raisin

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 6:53 am
one year we had purim on friday and we did the purim seuda for lunch. Or you could do brunch. I would rather do that then have a meal going into shabbos...

water_bear88

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 7:37 am
psych-student wrote:

I dunno- it may have been Jerusalem-centric, but I found it refreshing! I kind of want to throw up a little every time I see "OOT" to refer to places outside of NY, as if NYC was the rightful center of Jewish life.

I wish I were still celebrating on the 15th this year! (Moved since last Purim to an unwalled city.)
IIRC 3 years ago we had seudah around noon or maybe late morning.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 8:04 am
Love the idea of a brunch seuda! Anyone know if the seuda has to be meat- like a seudas mitzva?

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 8:13 am
tigerwife wrote:
Love the idea of a brunch seuda! Anyone know if the seuda has to be meat- like a seudas mitzva?

Our seudot have been always been dairy -- but different communities may have different opinions about this.

Raisin

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 8:50 am
tigerwife wrote:

depends on your community I guess. I would say serve fish since that is also considered a kovodik food. I would think two heavy meat meals in a day is too much.

abound

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 9:36 am
I serve a regular purim seuda. I make sure that EVERYTHING for shabbos is done before. All you need to do is put up the hot plate. I serve some lighter foods and finger foods.
nuggets, franks n blanks, meat, lots of salads. Make sure that MM is somethign that you can wrap a day or two before, because you have much less time to give it out. Make a smaller meal (less guest and less food)
Try to hear megilah at vasikin so that you have the whole day to do things.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 10:21 am
& here I figured since I don't prepare early I must have got purim day wrong ... you did get me to look at the calendar

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:17 pm
Reviving this thread. Purim is erev shabbos again! What do you intend to serve for purim seuda? Brunch-type food? I am afraid if I serve fleishigs we will give short shrift to shabbos.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:33 pm
I'm so confused. Can people not eat a fleishig lunch and dinner shabbos night? What do you guys do on Yom Tov?

I have no problem having a light (or no) breakfast, a big lunchtime fleishig seuda, and a proper shabbos seuda friday night.

ddmom

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:34 pm
In the past when it was on Friday, we had a regular purim seuda served much earlier than usual so we have time to clean up and finish our erev shabbos prep in time for shabbos!
Typically a nice salad a little more elaborate with grilled chicken, meat and 2 side dishes starch (roasted potatoes/rice or orzo?) and vegetable(garlic green beans?)and fruits/sorbet for dessert!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics