Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
Life in the Palace: YA fantasy series where Jews are heroes
1  2  3  4  Next

Yael

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 6:12 am
It can be tough to be a frum teen. To stand firm against sirens of the secular world. Advertisements promise a world where everyone is more beautiful, wearing less clothing, listening to better music, having more fun, and falling in love.

It’s not that they don’t want to be frum….but it does look like the secular world is having more fun.

Life in the Palace (book 1 of the Palace Saga) is the antidote. It gives frum teens the chance to be the ones with nail biting adventures, epic love story and funky soundtrack.

In essence, the Palace Saga is a secular fantasy series in which the Jews are the heroes.

If your teens are reading secular books, then you owe it to them to show them that the lifestyle they’re living can be just as exciting as anything they read, watch, or see on the street.

(It’s not bad for adults who could do with a little reminding either.)

The Palace Saga follows the story of Chloe Diaz as she discovers that, against all the odds, her mysterious study partner Tal is telling the truth. Tal and her family really were sent from Heaven to maintain the connection between the physical world and the Divine. They perform good deeds in the physical world and earn fire-power to do battle in the mystical Palace realm. Tal volunteers in the homeless shelter and earns herself a sword in the Palace. Chloe thinks it’s the coolest thing she’s ever heard. Her gorgeous boyfriend Seth is less impressed. But Chloe discovers that Seth has been less than forthcoming about his own family background.

Although be warned, since the Palace Saga is written to combat the appeal of the secular world, it is written like a secular book. The same sassy jokes, the same heart pounding true love (and the same occasional swear word.)

The series follows Chloe and Seth as they transition from ‘regular’ secular teenagers to be fully observant. So while they might swear in the first book, by the end of the series all the language is clean and everyone is frum.

Each book covers a different theme. Book 1 deals with intermarriage and why Jewish identity is important. Book 2 covers hashgacha pratis and why mitzvos matter. Book 3 discusses the yetza hara and how we overcome it. Book 4 (on sale in Spring 2015) will cover shomer negia and anti-Semitism. The final book of the series will cover Jewish ideas on marriage and finding your place with the observant world.

Download the first book in the series For Free from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Pal.....SO8EA

Scroll down for a sneak preview:

(Chloe has arrived unexpectedly at Tal’s house on a Friday night.)

We were just making our way towards the front door when it opened and through it walked a group of men all wearing suits.

We all froze.
“You’re home early,” Mrs. Perr said brightly.
“A lot of people are on vacation so things moved more quickly,” one of the men explained.
“Who’s this?” a youngish guy asked. He might have been the brother-in-law.
“This is Chloe, Tal’s study partner. She just stopped by for few minutes.”

I would have smiled and made my way towards the door if it wasn’t for the fact that I had lost all control over my body. I just stood there and stared. I didn’t even care if by now they thought I was beyond weird.

Behind each of the men was a large shape of fire and light. I couldn’t actually see them. It was more like my mind told me they were there, without bothering to bypass my eyes. Part of my mind was telling me it wasn’t true, while the other part was just staring at these huge figures radiating splendor. It would be an understatement to say I’d never seen anything like it. I’d never imagined anything like it. I’m not sure if Steven Spielberg has ever imagined anything like it.

Tal was introducing me to her brother and acting like everything was normal. I don’t even think I said hello to him. When I did speak I couldn’t even remember to fake politeness.

“What is that?” I didn’t even blink. I just stood and stared. I might have been in shock.
Tal looked shifty, “That’s my Dad.”
“What’s the problem?” One of Tal’s friends asked the other.
“I think it’s because he’s wearing a hat,” the other replied.
“Who cares about the hat?” The panic was apparent in my voice. I still didn’t take my eyes off them. “Behind him,” I croaked, “Can’t you see them?”
The whole room froze.

“See who?” Tal’s mother asked casually. She’s a good actor, only her eyes betrayed her.
Tal was less cool, “What’s there to see?”
Sweat was pouring down my back, I was about to totally lose my cool. “The giant creatures of light and fire standing behind him.”
“Ahhh, behind all of you!” I leapt back. I wrapped my arms around myself so they wouldn’t see how my hands were shaking. Now even Mrs. Perr was having trouble playing it cool. We all just looked at each other for five horrible seconds.

“It’s the angels,” a voice piped up. Tal’s little niece smiled brightly while her mother clearly considered infanticide.
“The angels?” I wasn’t sure the voice was my own.
A vein on Tal’s left temple was throbbing. “I did tell you,” she said very quickly. “Angels come to our house on the weekend.”

“You didn’t tell me it was f***ing TRUE!!” I exploded.
Then clamped one hand to my mouth as I realized I’d just sworn in front of a bunch of religious people and a swarm of angels. I sank into the sofa behind me. I put my head in my hands, but when I looked up they were still there, radiating eternal light.
“It’s supposed to be a metaphor for spending quality family time together, it’s not supposed to be real,” I said half to myself.

Over my head, I felt an exchange of meaningful looks. Someone reached a decision.
For the first time, Mr. Perr spoke, “It’s all true. There really are angels that come to our house, we really live in the Palace, we really defend the world from Oblivion and Disconnection. We are the Servants of He Who Sees All. It’s real.”
I thought, holy ****.
I said, “Oh.”

Then my brain began to function so I added, “So when Tal said you were part of an eternal battle she actually meant that you were, like, part of an eternal battle?”
Cautiously, Tal nodded.
“All those stories are true?” I asked.
Tal nodded again.
“Anything anyone missed?” I asked more brightly than the moment called for.
The blond friend put up her hand, “There really is a force in side of us that drives us away from the true path.”
“You’re actually possessed?”

“A bit. Somewhat. Maybe,” she floundered.
“We prefer to think of it as being provided with daily challenges to become greater,” explained Mr. Perr. He’s slick. I wonder if he was a motivational speaker or a divorce lawyer.
They seemed to be waiting for me to say something.
“How come you guys don’t tell anyone about all of this?”
“We do,” said Tal.

“They just don’t believe us,” the clean cut guy, who I presumed was her brother, explained.
“The angels aren’t a giveaway?”
“Others, people who are not of our kind, can’t usually see them so we tell the whole truth and they don’t believe us.” The brother looked around for encouragement. The others nodded.
“Why can you see them?” The blond friend asked.
I shrugged, “Gifted?”

They all considered it. There may have been another unseen exchange because Mrs. Perr suddenly smiled brightly and asked, “Would you like to stay for dinner?”
Right then, going home to watch Hulu seemed a little lame, so I stayed.

Sponsored Post

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 9:02 am
The author sent me this link last week, and I downloaded it last night and started reading it. I haven't gotten very far, but it's intriguing me for now Smile

mebs

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:57 am
I read the first book a few months ago and loved it!

The idea is fascinating, but more than that, the writing is very witty and enjoyable to read. After finishing the first book I bought the others because I just kept wanting to know "what happened next".

It's not just YA - as a *regular* adult I really enjoyed it.

Highly recommended!

Kumphort

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:59 am
HY. What age would you say that this book is meant for?
Also I see in the short paragraphs included in the post there are censored words. Are these words censored in the actual "book". In general is there a lot of cursing?

happybeingamom

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:08 am
It has curse words, can't give it to the kids, even if it is bleeped. Cursing ruins it for me, just low class.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:19 am
What an interesting concept. However it does seem like perhaps these were published without a seasoned editor going over them. Every time I reread the excerpt here I find something else that sticks out really uncomfortably. Infanticide? Really? Confused

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:20 am
I would not allow my children to read it. It's really only for people who are ok with secular books. I haven't gotten far, only came across a word most people don't consider bad but I would not use myself and the use of "freaking" as a substitute for a cruder word.

sequoia

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:24 am
HY you don't allow any secular books, even 100 years old?

happybeingamom

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:28 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I would not allow my children to read it. It's really only for people who are ok with secular books. I haven't gotten far, only came across a word most people don't consider bad but I would not use myself and the use of "freaking" as a substitute for a cruder word.

I allow my kids to read decent appropriate secular books. There is no need to write with curse words, just no need, appropriate vocabulary should be used. It is not necessary to go to the lowest level.

Some of my kids like fantasy books and this would have been nice but because of the words I can't give it to them.

I think the author should remove the bad language to widen her audience.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:35 am
happybeingamom wrote:
I allow my kids to read decent appropriate secular books. There is no need to write with curse words, just no need, appropriate vocabulary should be used. It is not necessary to go to the lowest level.

Some of my kids like fantasy books and this would have been nice but because of the words I can't give it to them.

I agree. I let my kids read secular books as well, and I would never give them something with this type of language in it. I honestly am not comfortable reading it myself. . . And the whole style feels very slangy even without the curse words. Not something I would want to give to my kids at all.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:57 am
sequoia wrote:
HY you don't allow any secular books, even 100 years old?

WHOA. I miswrote that.

My kids DO read secular books. Not YA though and I never would allow them to read anything from that section of the library.

I, as an adult, have read more secular books that I would never allow my kids to read, so I decided to try this one.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:59 am
happybeingamom wrote:

I would also like to see foul language removed. I have no tolerance for nivul peh (including the words "shut up"; I am a prude I guess!)

I assume the author was trying to capture dialogue as her characters would talk. But I do think if it was edited and cleaned up, more people would be happy, but not enough for the frum population because it seems like the whole theme of it revolves around a boyfriend/girlfriend.

happybeingamom

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 12:38 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I would also like to see foul language removed. I have no tolerance for nivul peh (including the words "shut up"; I am a prude I guess!)

I assume the author was trying to capture dialogue as her characters would talk. But I do think if it was edited and cleaned up, more people would be happy, but not enough for the frum population because it seems like the whole theme of it revolves around a boyfriend/girlfriend.

I agree there is most probably more to this book I don't feel is good for my kids.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 12:49 pm
Is this a Kindle book or hard copy? With a Kindle book it should be fairly easy to produce a G-rated version, as least as far as language.

If the book is thematically iffy, well, that's a lot more difficult to change. In any event, screening books before letting one's kids read them is always a good idea.

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 1:03 pm
I don't mind foul language ... but I'm shocked it would be used in an ad to invite imamothers to partake of shock

Brownies

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 2:17 pm
I'm a bit confused as to whether to characters are presented as overtly Jewish or not...from the imamother ad it would seem that they are, and that it's targeted at Jewish teens, especially in later books regarding shomer negiah etc; however from the Amazon reviews it seems to be a fictional religion that is being discussed, albeit one with similarities to Judaism and Christianity.
Maybe I'm just missing something...I'm not very into fantasy books to be perfectly honest so maybe I just don't get it.

penguin

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 2:32 pm
I actually reported it as an offensive ad. Just clicking on it, it struck me as highly inappropriate.

The desire to create fiction that can appeal to all types would in no way justify profanity or even implications of profanity, IMHO. The ends do not justify the means.

Also I'd want to know who is writing this and a clear idea what their agenda is. E.g. Lion, Witch & Wardrobe?

sequoia

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 2:34 pm
You reported Yael's own ad to her?

penguin

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 2:36 pm
I didn't know it was her ad. It's an ad that appears on the left of my screen, and I thought it was one of those random inappropriate ads.

Likes brasnyc, which I really don't appreciate having on my screen in case a male relative walks into the room.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 2:46 pm
I also saw the banner ad first and would never have guessed it was a Jewish book (I get all sorts of ads on my iPhone, and I don't know if some are approved paid ads or google fill-ins). However, this announcement is intriguing enough- I do want to download the ebook.

Re the language debate, yups, I also find it disappointing that it's full of crude words (Amazon reviews stated this as well). Not all secular teens use bad language, and if necessary she could have been more creative (like J. K. Rowling had Uncle Vernon say '**** owls!')

Good books don't need bad language.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics