Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Disciplining other kids

Seraph

Post Thu, Jun 07 2007, 4:17 am
Would you discipline other people's kids?
Two specific examples I'm talking about- you're at someone else's house and the mother is in the other room preoccupied, and her kids start biting each other. Would you intervene?

Or the other day I was walking down the street and I see 2 kids (4 or so) beating up 2 other kids (the same age) with no parents in sight. I seperated the kids, asked them what was happening, and tried to help them resolve the matter without their using violence.
Did I do the wrong thing?
Or is this part of kol yisrael areivim ze lazeh?

Would you do the same thing?

Marion

Post Thu, Jun 07 2007, 5:25 am
I think for me it depends on the situation. First of all, do I know the kids? Do their parents know me? Do I know what is acceptable to the parents; what their guidelines are for chinuch? If not, I would probably feel uncomfortable creating expectations of other people's children. This, of course, does not apply in my home, where I expect EVERYBODY to abide by house rules, regardless of what is allowed in their own homes.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jun 07 2007, 5:26 am
Most times, it's not worth it because as soon as you leave, they'll be right back at it.

The biting kids I would separate and then I would mention to your friend about the kids biting each other.

gryp

Post Thu, Jun 07 2007, 10:31 am
I wouldn't discipline if siblings are fighting, I would try and distract them.

I have disciplined other kids before such as the time I walked into my son's class to pick him up after school and one of the 3 year olds there came up to my stroller and smacked my (then-) 18 month old for absolutely no reason with no warning right in front of me. I grabbed his hand off my toddler and held it firmly and told him: "we DON'T hit."
sorry, parents, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 07 2007, 10:46 am
Yes I would. At shul I regularly see people disciplining other kids, including yelling or even a hit on the bottom or something. A bit much maybe, asking to stop running around and screaming would be enough... but yes, if a kid is playing with something they shouldn't touch I remove it, if a kid is running until he can't breath I make him sit...sometimes I wonder where the parents are though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics