Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Making Quiet Books — Need Advice

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 9:34 am
My wonderful grandchildren, ages 3 years and 14+ months respectively, are going away to relatives in Canada for Pesach (waaaah!) — yes, they are bringing their parents with them — and will be spending long stretches on airplanes. I had the idea to make them Quiet Books with activities to help keep them busy on the trip. Example: http://smile.amazon.com/Quiet-.....+book

I patch and quilt very well but am not that good sewing by machine. OTOH, I just need to get it done. It doesn't have to be sewn well. So far I've scavenged a few patch pockets from old jumpers and plan a field trip to Michael's after Shabbos.

• What is the best material to make these from? Quilting fabric? Felt?
• Ideas for activities (especially for the younger one). B"H they're both very bright and have good coordination.
• How would you suggest binding these? Grommets? Laces? Sewing a spine?

studying_torah

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 10:01 am
Pinterest has a lot of ideas for quiet books.
You sound like an amazing grandmother by the way!

yo'ma

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 3:52 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:

• What is the best material to make these from? Quilting fabric? Felt? For fast and easy, I would do felt, but two pieces attached together, for each page. For more work, but nicer, I would use quilting fabric with batting in between.

• How would you suggest binding these? Grommets? Laces? Sewing a spine? I would bind it with grommets. They would be the most secure if you can get them on securely. Laces can be pulled out and stitches can rip out. This is my opinion.

I made for my 3 year old at the time, a roll up car thing for him to play with. I used felt and cotton, but it was different than what you're making.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing