Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn sounds like shes choking

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 10:17 pm
I have a 2 week old, sometimes while I'm nursing or after a feeding, she sounds like shes choking on a burp. is this normal? I will call my pediatrician in the morning, but I'm interested to hear if anyone had this with a baby?

thanks!

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 10:27 pm
If your milk lets down faster than she can swallow, she may in fact be choking.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 10:34 pm
does it happen when she's not eating as well ...

I had a baby who did this & I thought she had asthma & she does

the voice sounds like a squeak when they breathe in - aka as wheezing

mandr

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 10:55 pm
greenfire wrote:
does it happen when she's not eating as well ...

I had a baby who did this & I thought she had asthma & she does

the voice sounds like a squeak when they breathe in - aka as wheezing

Wheezing is when exhaling. When there's a squeaky/honky noise when baby is inhaling, she might have a "stridor" aka tracheomalacia or laryngomalacia, which is when the cartilage around the trachea or larynx isn't so well-formed so the air passing by the loose cartilage causes that weird sound. But it doesn't sound like choking.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 12:20 am
mandr wrote:
Wheezing is when exhaling.

in/out up/down ... same difference - she has asthma - something op should look into

amother

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 12:39 am
One of mine did something similar (not immediately after feeding, a little later) and turned out to be reflux. Totally went away once on reflux meds.

2cents

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 8:55 am
my six month old was born with a relatively benign, out-growable condition called laryngomalacia. basically, the muscle above the larynx is weak, and it leads to frequent gagging and choking, as well as noisy breathing. she also tired out very easily when eating. she was diagnosed by a lactation consultant, who gave us some tips for helping her eat more easily, and confirmed by her ENT.

mandr

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 10:10 am
2cents wrote:
my six month old was born with a relatively benign, out-growable condition called laryngomalacia. basically, the muscle above the larynx is weak, and it leads to frequent gagging and choking, as well as noisy breathing. she also tired out very easily when eating. she was diagnosed by a lactation consultant, who gave us some tips for helping her eat more easily, and confirmed by her ENT.

My baby has it too. It also makes him more prone to pneumonia. The effects of it though are supposed to resolve at about two years

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 11:10 am
My baby had the same thing and doctor said it's Gerd. Zantac helps. Also, she used to take premade formula (she had reaction to powder) but was recently restarted on powder and hasn't had as much choking since even though she is off the zantac.

sourstix

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 11:58 am
my baby used to do this after feeding for a couple weeks and then it went away. she has congenital hypothyroidism. dont know if its connected. she doesnt chock anymore

granolamom

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 3:21 pm
My babies did this, they all had reflux, but it was mostly due to too much milk coming at them too fast. there's ways to minimize that, nurse while leaning back and hold the nipple between your thumb (on top) and fingers (underneath) and gently apply pressure to slow the flow. that is, if you suspect that's whats happening.
either way, its a good idea to speak to the ped.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics