Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How to consume less "stuff"

SingALong

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 8:18 pm
Every week I manage to throw out 3 huge garbage bins and 2 huge recycling bins worth of trash/recyclables. I use up all my garbage space and more. I ordered another can but I think instead of constantly getting more cans I'd rather learn how to throw out less. I'm going to try to use less disposables but there are some things that can't be avoided: pampers, tissues, magazines, papers, leftover spoiled food, broken/unusable household items and toys.
I also have too many things. Before buying anything, I need to think where I'm going to keep it as my closets have no space!!!
I am not a hoarder, I throw stuff out all the time. I really use everything I have. I keep several extra pillows and blankets in my linen closet since I frequently have guests. That takes up 2 huge shelves. Plus extra towels for guests.
Now I needed to purchase things for pesach, and I have no idea where I'll keep them!!! Any ideas how I can decrease my stuff but still have everything I need? And not have so much garbage each week?

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 8:33 pm
To organize it- I looked for extra space that I could use to store extra stuff. Under a bed, floor of closet etc. or over the door hangers. Plus if it's clothes that are the issue they make something to add a layer to hang from. Like a second, lower curtain rod that you don't have to install.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 8:33 pm
there are a few things you can decrease:

spoiled food: start cooking less, serve leftovers more often. this will have the added benefit of lowering your grocery bills as well.

recycling: stop using so many bottled beverages. water is great.

diapers: you can cloth diaper if you want to cut down on the trash, but cloth takes up space too.

you can cut down on the number of toys you own and only buy toys that are high quality/less likely to break.

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 9:02 pm
Neaten your trash. Neat garbage is counterintuitive, but if you break down and flatten cartons, remove the bottoms of metal cans and flatten them, and put paper in neat stacks, they will take up much less space in your bins.

Since you admit to owning too many things, you know what you need to do--PURGE! Take the haul to a thrift shop or rummage sale, sell it online, hold a tag sale, or organize a swap meet at which people bring their unwanted stuff and whoever wants it can take it.

Quit subscribing to papers and magazines. Borrow them from the library or read them online.

If you throw out a lot of spoiled food, you are either buying or cooking too much, in which case you should buy less and cook less, or your fridge isn't doing its job, in which case you may need to clean the coils, turn down the temperature, replace the gasket, or get a new fridge.

spring13

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 9:28 pm
If it seems like you're tossing broken toys and stuff often, try to find time to really go through all of that and purge things that are losing their value - missing pieces, not working right, no one plays with, etc. Give away stuff that's GENUINELY still useful, toss the trash and about-to-be-trash, and really organize what's left.

What are you throwing out that can be reduced by having reusable items? Would it help to invest in more tupperware, pyrex dishes with lids, use regular dishes and cups instead of disposable? More sponges and rags, fewer paper towels? Use a wipeable plastic tablecloth cover instead of constantly tossing the thin kind?

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 9:56 pm
If you really truly use everything you have, then maybe you need to maximize your space somehow. I don't know anything about your space from this post, but make sure your furniture is practical and wherever you have closets/shelves they should be built all the way up to the ceiling, by building your own shelves on top of them if necessary or use sterilite containers that stack well.

I bought vacuum bags to see if that would help with out-of-season/between-children clothes but I stuffed the first one with coats last night and today it reinflated. Oh well, so much for that idea. I wonder if there's any warranty, but for now I'm just disappointed. Maybe a better brand. Good for your guest linens if you don't have guests very often.

ETA because I thought of some more maximizing-storage tips:
If any of your storage areas (cupboards, etc) are large, you will be able to fit more by putting in shelves or containerizing, because there's only so much you can pile/stuff in. Shelves or containers help you layer things more practically.
And I forgot what else I was going to say.
But even if you do use things, if some of them are hogging space think about whether you really NEED them. Maybe something else can serve a double function. Not everything that is used HAS to be used. Of course, only you know how much benefit something is worth to you. For example, I minimize kitchen gadgets - less to organize, less to clean, etc. Could my life be easier or more fun if I had them? Probably. But I'm choosing my simplicity and space now, and I don't find myself missing out much. I can do plenty of fine kitchenwork with the basic knives, couple of spatulas, and just a few small appliances.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics