Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Key West, FL?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 9:53 am
We are planning a 2-day trip to Key West. DH and I have never been there....

Besides for the gorgeous beaches, and of course the road trip down there, what else do you know about that is worth seeing?

DD is 2 years old...anyone know any good kid-friendly places to enjoy?

and I am pregnant...so no water sports or anything too risky... 8)

TIA!!! Very Happy 8) Very Happy

Chani

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 10:53 am
Ernest Hemingway house...

BTW, I had a great shabbos at a Chabad there a few years ago (business seminar that didn't end until Friday afternoon...)

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 11:02 am
yes I have heard about the Ernest house ... sounds kool ...

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 10:03 pm
bumping this up bc DH says he wants to go down there this winter.
Any tips?

dainty diva

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 10:09 pm
Been there, done that! Our best vacation ever! We drove down twice from miami, the views were outatanding! Where will u b staying?

tovarena

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 8:48 am
Key West is one of my favorites! When I was single, I used to go every year around my birthday. So much fun - and so laid back.

I would definitely recommend staying in Old Town if you can swing it. Though come to think of it, last time we were there, Chabad said they were moving out of Old Town so if you're there shabbos, there might not be a minyan available in Old Town anymore - definitely check with Chabad before booking.

There are numerous condos and time shares in the area that have kitchens so that food isn't such an issue, though if you're driving from the Miami area, I'd definitely plan on buying meats or chickens from Miami and bringing them in a cooler.

What sort of activities are you looking for down there? Kid stuff or for the adults?

Either way, I'd suggest starting with one of the trains that runs around Old Town that's hop-on hop-off. They stop at all/most of the major attractions and are a good way to get a quick overview of what the island has (and a nice way to not have to walk if you're already pooped towards the end of the day).

In terms of the actual attractions - Hemingway House is nice, but probably best for adults or older kids (except younger kids might love the cats). The aquarium is cute - not nearly as comprehensive as "big city" aquariums, but with a cute touch tank for the kids and a dolphin show. There's also the shipwreck museum. And by the Southernmost Point, there's a butterfly garden and a playground (Astro City) that's supposed to be great.

For the older crowd, the nighttime walking ghost tours or pirate ship sails are good fun. And the sunset celebration at Mallory Square is great (though I'm not sure I'd want to bring kids along).

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 9:28 am
dont have kids so theyre not an issue.

we want to stay in the cheapest place we can find but stilll with a kitchenette.

we want the trip to b relaxing but not break the bank.

I love butterfly gardens! and aquariums and I just love antiques so the old town sounds fun.

ghost tour also sounds fun!

anyone know of any 1 or 2 hr cruises that wont break the bank?

tovarena

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 10:41 am
Price-wise, your best bet is if you can make it there in the next two to three weeks. Prices go up STEEPLY after the middle of December and stay that way until, I think, about the end of March. Check some of the vacation rental sites like Rentalo, Cyber Rentals, or Vacation Home Rentals. Also google for key west bed and breakfasts with kitchens or kitchenettes. Oh, and don't forget when you're booking that room tax down there is something like 11% or 12%.

In terms of cruises, there are half-day and whole day trips out to the dry tortugas (I've never made it over there - it's sort of a "roughing it" type of trip), snorkeling cruises, and Sunset cruises (cruise link here). Sunset cruises are typically around 2 or 2 1/2 hours - pretty much a cruise to nowhere. You can usually get them for like $30-$35 per person. And you may be able to get deals at the little kiosks selling ticket packages in Old Town.

Enjoy!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics