Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Map of Yerushalayim Suburbs?
1  2  Next

StripedFlower

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 10:54 pm
Why can't I find a decent (or even semi decent) map of Yerushalayim'ss suburbs?

Please help?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 10:56 pm
what area are you looking for? There are many many suburbs of jerusalem.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 10:58 pm
What exactly is it that you're looking for that you can't find on Google maps?

StripedFlower

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 11:21 pm
Im looking for a map that shows all the suburbs. I've never had an issue with any other city in the world.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 11:31 pm
StripedFlower wrote:
Im looking for a map that shows all the suburbs. I've never had an issue with any other city in the world.
but the suburbs is a bog area. you have places in each direction, like pisgat zeev, givat zeev, ramot, gush etzion, tel stone, just to name a few. I think you woul have to search each one seperately. They are all far apart from each other. And they are not in jerusalem CITY proper, so maybe thats why you are having trouble.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 11:45 pm
I dunno, I'm pretty sure I saw all those places and more on google maps last time I looked... Everything but everything was there. Not street views but all the streets afaik.

StripedFlower

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 11:49 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
but the suburbs is a bog area. you have places in each direction, like pisgat zeev, givat zeev, ramot, gush etzion, tel stone, just to name a few. I think you woul have to search each one seperately. They are all far apart from each other. And they are not in jerusalem CITY proper, so maybe thats why you are having trouble.

It seems our definitions of "suburbs" are not the same.

Where I come from Geula and Meah Shearim are suburbs. It's seems that Israelis (and maybe Americans?) think a suburb is some area outside of the city.....

Google maps didn't help.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 11:50 pm
StripedFlower wrote:

Where I come from Geula and Meah Shearim are suburbs. It's seems that Israelis (and maybe Americans?) think a suburb is some area outside of the city.....

Google maps didn't help.
geula and mea shearim are not suburbs. they are city center.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 11:54 pm
Is this what you were looking for?
https://www.google.co.il/maps/.....data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x150329deb1811513:0x47cd4b82bd327689

chanchy123

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 12:18 am
She means neighborhoods. In France they use suburb for neigbhorhood, possibly other countries as well.

etky

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 12:19 am
StripedFlower wrote:

Google maps didn't help.

Isn't that the definition of a suburb?
I don't think Geula and Meah Shearim can be termed suburbs by any definition. They are a 5 minute walk from the very center of town.

etky

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 12:23 am
chanchy123 wrote:
She means neighborhoods. In France they use suburb for neigbhorhood, possibly other countries as well.

Isn't 'suburb' in French 'banlieue' - the outlying areas surrounding big cities such as Paris?
I thought neighborhood was 'quartier' or in Paris, 'arrondissment'?

chanchy123

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 1:17 am
etky wrote:
Isn't 'suburb' in French 'banlieue' - the outlying areas surrounding big cities such as Paris?
I thought neighborhood was 'quartier' or in Paris, 'arrondissment'?

I'm not sure, but I may have gotten the French mixed up, but I do know that some cultures call neighborhoods suburbs.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 1:22 am
I think if you search "neighborhoods" you might get what you're looking for:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.....salem

singleagain

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 6:53 am
here's a pdf link to a map:

http://goisrael.com/Tourism_En.....w.pdf

also, here is a decent map for purchase:

http://www.amazon.com/Streetwi.....salem

Dev80

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 6:59 am
If you go into google maps and type "Malkei Israel Street, Jerusalem" you'll get a pretty good map of the geula area. Either you can scroll to find Mea Shearim or type in "Me'a She'arim street, Jerusalem"

water_bear88

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 7:22 am
I think part of the problem is some neighborhoods are tiny- like maybe 3 blocks total. They're difficult to draw on a map unless all your interested in is the neighborhoods (and not streets or places of interest). Singleagain's map looks pretty good, but it's still missing Mercaz Ha'ir! And it's not at all clear where the borders are between neighborhoods.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 7:46 am
water_bear88 wrote:
I think part of the problem is some neighborhoods are tiny- like maybe 3 blocks total. They're difficult to draw on a map unless all your interested in is the neighborhoods (and not streets or places of interest). Singleagain's map looks pretty good, but it's still missing Mercaz Ha'ir! And it's not at all clear where the borders are between neighborhoods.

The borders of the country aren't so clear, you want the borders between neighborhoods to be?

Seriously, I live in Jerusalem and I have no idea where my neighborhood ends and the closest one starts. Or even which of the two I am in. I give taxi drivers and visitors the street address. Navigation in Jerusalem is approximate.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 7:51 am
imasoftov wrote:
The borders of the country aren't so clear, you want the borders between neighborhoods to be?

Seriously, I live in Jerusalem and I have no idea where my neighborhood ends and the closest one starts. Or even which of the two I am in. I give taxi drivers and visitors the street address. Navigation in Jerusalem is approximate.

And I once, after a move within the city, ended up busing halfway across it for mikva because I didn't recognize the name of the neighborhood of the closest one to me. Dh and I once went for a long Shabbos walk trying to figure out where the borders of a certain well-known neighborhood were, based on signs- nope, still not clear.

etky

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:01 am
water_bear88 wrote:
And I once, after a move within the city, ended up busing halfway across it for mikva because I didn't recognize the name of the neighborhood of the closest one to me. Dh and I once went for a long Shabbos walk trying to figure out where the borders of a certain well-known neighborhood were, based on signs- nope, still not clear.

That's part of Jerusalem's charm. The hodgepodge of neighborhoods, the history behind their construction, their sometimes obscure names, and trying to figure out where one ends and the next one starts. I have to say that I really miss that. Here the neighborhoods are named after shivat haminim and they are very clearly delineated. Boring.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions