Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Stereotyping inter-ethnic marriages - Ashkenazi vs. Sephardi

blueberries

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 12:00 pm
The Center for Academic Studies at Or Yehuda is under fire on Tuesday, after a slide from a Master's-level class on Education stereotyping inter-ethnic marriages went viral on social media.

The slide stereotypes marriages between Sephardic Jews ("based on a clear division of family roles"), an Ashkenazic man and a Sephardi woman ("He comes from a liberal education, she from a traditional one; there is no conflict - he receives warmth and love, she receives a spirit of openness and progress - what they each lacked at home"), a Sephardic man and an Ashkenazic woman ("The traditional husband wants the wife to cook and look after the children, but the woman wants openness and progress"), and Ashkenazic Jews ("typically, the marriage is based on emotions").

The post went viral after being published on the Facebook page B'Mizrach (במזרח), in a post in which the authors assumed that the slide was presenting the stereotypes as fact.

An administrator at the college told Walla! News on Tuesday that the post has inspired a flood of student complaints. "This is a subject which should never be addressed in any course in our institution," she said. "This was sent to the Superintendent, who is taking care of the issue."

Meanwhile, the college's official response claims that the slide was taken out of context.

"The material was taught in a lesson intended to start a class discussion about societal stereotypes, and do not reflect the personal opinions of the lecturer," the college stated.

http://www.israelnationalnews......94368

blueberries

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 12:03 pm
Quote:
The slide stereotypes marriages between Sephardic Jews ("based on a clear division of family roles"), an Ashkenazic man and a Sephardi woman ("He comes from a liberal education, she from a traditional one; there is no conflict - he receives warmth and love, she receives a spirit of openness and progress - what they each lacked at home"), a Sephardic man and an Ashkenazic woman ("The traditional husband wants the wife to cook and look after the children, but the woman wants openness and progress"), and Ashkenazic Jews ("typically, the marriage is based on emotions").

I agree.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 1:00 pm
blueberries wrote:

Meanwhile, the college's official response claims that the slide was taken out of context.

"The material was taught in a lesson intended to start a class discussion about societal stereotypes, and do not reflect the personal opinions of the lecturer," the college stated.

http://www.israelnationalnews......94368

If this part is true, then I don't see a problem with it. Some people are WAY too easily offended, and will read offense into anything.

If it's not true, then it's just a stupid idea, and should be taken out of the curriculum.

(*I'm a Sephardic woman married to Ashkenazic man.)

Sadie

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 1:15 pm
If the slide was really intended to start a classroom discussion about stereotypes then I don't see a problem with it, but if it were presented as fact, I don't see how such garbage belongs in an academic institution.
As someone in one of these types of marriages I find these stereotypes grossly inaccurate and offensive.

ETA that the slide is itself internally inconsistent. It says that Ashkenazis lack warmth and love at home and later says that Ashkenazi marriages are based on emotions. Huh?

mazal555

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 1:28 pm
Sadie wrote:
If the slide was really intended to start a classroom discussion about stereotypes then I don't see a problem with it, but if it were presented as fact, I don't see how such garbage belongs in an academic institution.
As someone in one of these types of marriages I find these stereotypes grossly inaccurate and offensive.

ETA that the slide is itself internally inconsistent. It says that Ashkenazis lack warmth and love at home and later says that Ashkenazi marriages are based on emotions. Huh?

A lot of stereotypes are inconsistent.

Sadie

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 1:41 pm
mazal555 wrote:
A lot of stereotypes are inconsistent.

Definitely true!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 2:03 pm
So it means an emotional, warm heimish type is just the same as a Yekke type?
And an expensive, festive Mizrachi type is the same as a discrete, individualistic samech tet?

Actually even between Tunisian and Moroccan men the differences are big... in stereotypes.

Not buying any of it.

morah

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 2:36 pm
I heard a similar story where a picture of a worksheet went viral because it listed a bunch of common stereotypes of men and women for a class about relationships. It sparked a lot of outrage, but the real story was that this sheet was handed out as part of a lesson about combating stereotypes. So yeah, I imagine it's something similar here. It's so easy to take things out of context, especially online.

As an Ashkenazi married to a Sefardi, I have been on the receiving end of these stereotypes. Did we have to navigate some cultural clashes early in our marriage? Yes, to be perfectly honest. And yes, some of the common stereotypes were at play. But it's a tad annoying when people express surprise that my Sefardi husband is "ok" with my having a career. He's not only "ok" with it, he is proud of my work! It was never an issue that had to be discussed. I also have a higher level of education than he does (though he makes more than double what I do) Also, I'm the one with the more "wearing the pants" personality than him, and again, he's totally cool with that, thankyouverymuch. And the man changes diapers like a champ and knows how to cook a basic weekday meal. He's a 20-something born and raised in NYC, not a 40 year old from Yemen, you know Rolling Eyes

mazal555

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 2:46 pm
morah wrote:
I heard a similar story where a picture of a worksheet went viral because it listed a bunch of common stereotypes of men and women for a class about relationships. It sparked a lot of outrage, but the real story was that this sheet was handed out as part of a lesson about combating stereotypes. So yeah, I imagine it's something similar here. It's so easy to take things out of context, especially online.

As an Ashkenazi married to a Sefardi, I have been on the receiving end of these stereotypes. Did we have to navigate some cultural clashes early in our marriage? Yes, to be perfectly honest. And yes, some of the common stereotypes were at play. But it's a tad annoying when people express surprise that my Sefardi husband is "ok" with my having a career. He's not only "ok" with it, he is proud of my work! It was never an issue that had to be discussed. I also have a higher level of education than he does (though he makes more than double what I do) Also, I'm the one with the more "wearing the pants" personality than him, and again, he's totally cool with that, thankyouverymuch. And the man changes diapers like a champ and knows how to cook a basic weekday meal. He's a 20-something born and raised in NYC, not a 40 year old from Yemen, you know Rolling Eyes

LOL, but that's still a stereotype. My DH and father are about as old-fashioned as they come and both change diapers and do laundry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics