Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Wld u speak to the school? (Nits related)

all is good

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 2:36 am
My daughter had nits, I cleaned her very very thoroughly on sunday (at least 3 hrs, & its not my 1st time doing it). I called the school on monday to let them know... They didnt sound too thrilled that it was not checked /cleaned by a "professional"... on tuesday, the "nit ladies" came to my daughter's school (they come once a month to check e/o). my daughter told them she just had nits, they checked her and said she was clean....tonight (Wednesday), I checked her hair and found 6 nits plus one baby louse!!!
So....shld I call the school to tell them/ voice my concerns abt the nit ladies they hired?! If they knew she had nits & checked her accordingly, im concerned they wont catch other cases unless its really bad...

all is good

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:29 am
Bump

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:30 am
B"h we never had nits here, so I don't know that much about it. Is it possible that she got the nits again from something in your house, her jacket, her pillow, brush, a couch pillow?

If not, then please let the school know.

asd3

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:35 am
Maybe there were girls in her class with it and she caught it again

all is good

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:38 am
My point is not where she got them from (she said n/o else in her class had when the ladies checked on tuesday, but im concerned that they did not check thoroughly & maybe they missed it in other girls) those nits were there when they checked her b/c I found a live baby louse meaning it just hatched, which takes at least a week...

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:44 am
If you're positive they were in her hair when she was checked in school, then you should definitely let the school know. You should probably also take her to a professional so that you know it's completely gone.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:57 am
Our school has a policy that before going back the child has to be checked by 2 approved people. This kind of checking is MUCH more thorough than the screening the school has a few times a year. Your monthly nit ladies don't have a half hour(plus, if necessary) for each head so it's possible they'll miss something.
So I would say that while the nit ladies are a good idea, to catch something before it turns into an epidemic, you can't rely on them to say 100% sure that the kids are nit free.
IOW, discuss with the school what they expect the nit ladies to be able to accomplish, and what protocol they should have for a kid who does have nits to be allowed back to school.
Hatzlacha!

rosebunch

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:57 am
I'd definitely let the school know. I'm sure you know that until the nits aren't completely gone, they multiple on very quick speed. When my ds had lice (2.5 yrs old) I cleaned/checked him twice daily, washed his hair with vinegar every night and washed his linen every morning. I wanted thsee creatures out of my life. I was positive he picked it up in playgrour and let the director know. She swore to me that she personally checked the kids two days prior... I don't think a kid's head can fill up with over 200 nits in 2 days!!!
I was adamant she send a note home to all mom's to kindly check their kid's hair as I wasn't going to handle this spreading out of control. I was even more frightened of my dd catching it...

all is good

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:50 am
Wow, that is crazy!!

Iymnok

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:58 am
I'm in Israel, so it's a fact of life. That said, your daughter told the lady that she just had a confirmed case. I feel the lady should have checked more thoroughly.
From what I remember from the U.S., they checked only behind the ears and back if the neck. On my daughters, when they have, it's in that warm place under the ponytail. If the checking ladies are a little lazy, or want to be quick, they won't take out the ponytails.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 11:34 am
Are your nit ladies professionals or school mothers with experience? I'm in the US. My school used to have all the mothers take turns checking and then switched to mothers who know what they're looking for. They do a more thorough check than the nape and behind the ears and always take out ponytails and clips, etc. But they can't guarantee 100% clear in the time they do have per head. And of course, some checkers are better than others. Though if they know of a confirmed recent case or exposure they will do a more thorough check.

all is good

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:01 pm
These ladies are the professional ones I believe, & I know that the school policy is they can only come back to school w/ a note from a professional that they are clean. However, I technically did not need to tell the school a/t so I didnt feel I had to take her to a professional for a note. And yes, I also assumed that they wld check more thoroughly if they know there was a very recent case....
And as a btw, this is my fourth time dealing this year w/ nits/lice and the majority of the nits were on the top of their head & in the nape area, but totally not as much by the ears...

all is good

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:05 pm
...one of the times I dealt w/ the lice was a month after I got a call that one nit was found in my daughter's hair but I didnt need to come pick her up... I assumed they took out that one nit, but when we discovered the lice later, we asked the lady if she removed the nit and her response was we dont remove nits for fear of dropping/losing them!!!! Sheesh, was I so disturbed that they failed to tell me that bit of info originally...all my three kids ended up having it as a result!!!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:10 pm
rosebunch wrote:
I'd definitely let the school know. I'm sure you know that until the nits aren't completely gone, they multiple on very quick speed. When my ds had lice (2.5 yrs old) I cleaned/checked him twice daily, washed his hair with vinegar every night and washed his linen every morning. I wanted thsee creatures out of my life. I was positive he picked it up in playgrour and let the director know. She swore to me that she personally checked the kids two days prior... I don't think a kid's head can fill up with over 200 nits in 2 days!!!
I was adamant she send a note home to all mom's to kindly check their kid's hair as I wasn't going to handle this spreading out of control. I was even more frightened of my dd catching it...

Oy! Time for an early upsherin! I've known lots of mothers who had boys with long, thick hair, and definitely cut it early if they're dealing with lice.

rosebunch

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:40 pm
Would've done it.. believe me, I was in my ninth month and trying to clean/comb my ds while baby kicking into him.. it was fun!! I didn't have a chance to take professional pics of him with his long hair and so I opted to rather clean him out...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics