Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Book recommendations

amother
Brown

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 10:35 pm
I have a 3.5 yo son who has been diagnosed with SPD (seeking type) and who has a number of "symptoms" of ADHD. He may grow out of it still (being that hes to young to diagnose they say) but theres a decent chance we will end up with that diagnosis down the line.

In any case I am looking for books with parenting ideas geared toward ADHD children, which can at least help us deal with/discipline his behavioral issues for now. Any recommendations to try? Anything especially geared to preschool aged children would be extra helpful.

I have so far read "The Out of Sync Child", "Raising Your Spirited Child" and "Taking Charge of ADHD".

TIA

(Another question I had connected to this, it seems a certain amount of the sensory seeking symptoms and hyperactivity symptoms overlap. So is it possible that he has ADHD and not SPD, but since they overlap he got the SPD diagnosis? And will his OT help him if it is ADHD related and not SPD?

Thanks again!)

imasinger

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 5:56 am
Since right now, he has both diagnoses, it's a moot point. IME, it is unikely that a doctor would say, "oh, his sensory issues are part of his ADHD" and revoke the diagnosis. Doctors know what they need to say to help their patients qualify for services they need.

Other helpful reads: The Nurtured Heart Approach (changed our lives), and The ADHD Sourcebook.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 6:41 am
amother wrote:
(Another question I had connected to this, it seems a certain amount of the sensory seeking symptoms and hyperactivity symptoms overlap. So is it possible that he has ADHD and not SPD, but since they overlap he got the SPD diagnosis? And will his OT help him if it is ADHD related and not SPD?

Very often it's the other way around. Remediate the sensory issues and the child is often less hyperactive and impulsive. I would take it one step at a time. Really focus your energies on the sensory stuff and don't label him ADHD in your head, since at 3.5 it's not a real diagnosis anyway and what may look like hyperactivity/impulsivity is often a maladaptive response to difficulties with sensory processing. Also, the behavior regulation strategies used to remediate SPD can be helpful for ADHD-related hyperactivity and impulsivity, so it's worth focusing on now. Make sure you're seeing a really good OT who will teach you how to help your ds at home and throughout the day, not just once or twice a week at his OT sessions.

LN

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 7:34 am
How to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk, author: farber

Understanding your child's sensory signals, author: Voss (2nd ed.)

amother
Brown

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 8:16 am
Thanks for the book recommendations!

imasinger- he does not have both diagnosis (yet) He has only been diagnosed with SPD not with ADHD. However when he was diagnosed with SPD they said there are additional behavioral issues which we should see a social worker for (and we are). I dont (at this point) "need" him to be diagnosed with ADHD, other then for ideas to work with him.

amother- How do I know if his OT is good? He has been to 6 sessions (once a week) so far. She has given me home therapies to work on hand muscle building, mid line crossing and fine motor skills. Nothing yet for behavior regulation strategies. We dont have the best insurance and are pretty limited in who we can see Confused Should I specifically ask for anything? I have found some things that do help him calm down from research, but she hasnt really given any strategies yet.

we also have to bribe him to do "good listening" at OT and finish activities etc. I have a bag of dollar store prizes in my trunk that he gets to pick from after a good session. She does some obstacle course stuff with him when we come (takes 3 minutes) and usually some climbing or swinging and the rest of the session is table work on motor skills (cutting, using tweezers or clothespins to pick up and move different things, finding treasures in theraputty) without the bribes and reminders he usually would not finish the activity (cutting or picking up ALL the pieces etc).

Thanks again!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)