Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Cake for two

dmum

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 4:21 pm
does anyone have a SMALL cake recipe - fancy if possible - for just 2 people? anniversary coming up, DH loves it when I bake, but neither of us need the calories. I'm hesitant to halve or quarter a regular recipe bc you can't always do that with cakes, they can flop. Thanks!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 4:22 pm
ooo...good quezstion, I should also prob. take note of the answer !!!!!

justanothermother

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 4:28 pm
Bake a regular size, cut into quarters, and freeze each part seperately. If you use a square pan, you will have a little square left to decorate or ice however you want. You can also buy small round pans and divide the batter between them. I like to always have a cake in the freezer, you never know when you will need it.

HooRYou

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 4:30 pm
This isn't necessarily what you are looking for, but this year DH went back on his diet but we were having guests most weeks I started making all of my cakes in a cupcake pan (I have 2 silicon ones so I don't need the paper liners). You can basically make the same cakes and if you are making them for a special ocasion you can make them as fancy as you want. For example, this Shabbos was DS's b-day and I made chocolate cupckaes filled with vanilla creme and topped with chcoolate genache and sprinkles (DS wants sprinkles with anything). I freeze whatever is extra from the batter and then I can at a different meal serve a kavodik dessert rather than pulling a half eaten cake out of my freezer or throwing half a cake away. I even made a batch of pies. I have lots of other decorating ideas if you are interested.

dmum

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 4:41 pm
yes but...
we are freezer noshers!!! if there is cake in the freezer - it's not there for long! but v. interested in other decorating ideas - I love to patchke when I have the time or occasion to do so

HooRYou

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 5:17 pm
WHat I like to do is add things on, like smaller cookies, choclates, shaped candies, etc. For example, if you are having an anviersary you can make each of you a chocolate cupcake, plated with raspberry and chocolate sauce and stick a cookie shaped like a heart in each cupcke either decorated with your initals or a love message etc.

I also think you can make any cake recipe and use some of it and bake it in a small pan. I was thinking you could create something like the top layer of a wedding cake and even put little people on top if you like.

Also, fresh flowers are beautiful even on cakes.

Mazal Tov! Enjoy!

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 5:27 pm
You could make some pancakes and put some whipped cream and strawberries on top.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 11:18 pm
how about those molten chocolate cakes, the recipes I saw call for 6, ive seen others for 2, they re made individually so perhaps that would work.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 12:05 am
well ... I say make a cake ... and use something round to cut out miniature cakes ... one for you two ... and send one to his parents and another to your parents ... in honor of this milestone ... let everyone have a bite out of the anniversary Wink - make some chocolate whipcream ... and dip strawberries in chocolate ... mmmm ... can be done ...

Marion

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 1:41 am
You can also make mini-cakes...I know Wilton used to market what they called "Singles" pans...they always said they were single servings, but most of mine serve at least 2! If you have a plain cake recipe you should be able to halve or quarter it...I make 1/2 or 1-1/2 recipes all the time, depending on what pan I'm using, and never have a problem. What about getting a small (6") round or springform pan?

dmum

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 5:12 am
thanks for all the tips - I love the idea of a top layer of wedding cake! sounds really cute... now I have to get to work!!!... thinking white fondant icing and fresh red roses (my wedding flowers Very Happy ) with bride and groom at top. any other ideas???

HooRYou

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 5:19 am
sounds gorgeous. Don't forget to post a picture.

yOungM0mmy

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 5:42 am
Seems like you already decided on a cake style, but just thought I'd add that you can always halve, third or quarter apple crumble. Its not a dough, so doesnt need exact amounts, and a little more crumble or less crumble, or more apples or less, doesnt matter.

I usually serve it with vanilla ice cream, and then decorate the plate like they do in restaurants, with chocolate sauce, or hot melted chocolate over the ice cream and cake.

good luck.

Marion

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 6:59 am
The top layer of a wedding cake is usually a 6 inch round or square layer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins