Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
Landscaping

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 10:40 am
I need to landscape on a budget. Any ideas for trees? Any ideas where to start? DH is hiring professional landscapers who who side jobs. I can't afford a landscape architect. Thank you for all input.

samantha87

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 11:36 am
amother wrote:
I need to landscape on a budget. Any ideas for trees? Any ideas where to start? DH is hiring professional landscapers who who side jobs. I can't afford a landscape architect. Thank you for all input.

Just a few thoughts:

Only plant perennials, flowers which will come back year after year. Depending where you live, some colorful herbs may qualify.

Try planning trees and shrubs which will flower at different times, so that something is always blooming.

Buy plants and trees from independent nurseries, not home depot or Lowes. Landscapers know where to find these nurseries, and often get discounts off of retail. The big chains often stunt calibrate their stock to local conditions, and in my experience, their plants are less healthy and die more often.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 12:07 pm
To start, you might want to map out your house footprint and yard on graph paper. This will give you a clearer picture of what you're working with. Note sightlines from the house (mark house window locations on your plan), sukkah position, existing trees, and any other existing landscape elements.

alef12

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 12:47 pm
Research what plants the local wildlife dint like to eat (if you live in a suburban area).
There's nothing like planting 100 tulip bulbs in the fall and having nothing to show for it in the spring. Between the groundhogs and the deer most of the bulbs were eaten. Those that missed being eaten had there greens chomped down on as soon as they grew. Yummy deer salad! Confused This happened to me 20 years ago. I haven't planted a tulip since.

Ingrid

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 12:56 pm
Don't overplant. Once your garden grows in (will take a few years) you'll be happy not to have a jungle to cut back all the time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening