Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Hourly wages

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 10:46 am
With all these threads about income, I'd like to know if a family is able to survive in a big OOT community (as opposed to some of the smaller communities that sometimes have lower tuition etc) when both husband and wife do not work well-paying jobs. By not well-paying I mean jobs that pay $15-$20/hour. I'm asking about a very pashut family that does not spend much outside of bills, and will IY"H have a mortgage around $600 a month. Going back to school is a difficult option as we already have kids, and education is expensive. Is this still possible?

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 3:23 pm
Bump

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 3:33 pm
Going back to school is a difficult option but not impossible. If you're not moving forward/upward by business or experience or initiative, it's the only way you'll ever start to make it. One of you should find an affordable school that you can attend at night/on weekends/online and rough it for a few years.

Also, even if you will make less per hour, sometimes it pays to take a full time job instead because it can be more dependable and can provide benefits that you dint get as an hourly worker. Consider that too.

miri15

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 3:48 pm
The real question is whether living hand to mouth is a viable option. If you're relying on basic income to break even then it might not be so smart. You have to somewhat prepare for the future (Chochom Roeh es Hanolad). Just my two cents.

mirror

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 5:24 pm
I remember Hashem_Yaazor (I hope I spelled it right) saying that in Cleveland, Ohio all parents can get tuition vouchers from elementary through 12th grade. If you make less than a certain amount of money, then your tuition vouchers suffice for tuition.

Whereas here in New York, you need to make a lot because a lot goes to taxes and a mortgage and then you have to pay tuitions with after-tax dollars. This means that just to make it some people need $200,000 minimum.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 7:39 pm
No, I didn't say that. Cleveland depends on neighborhood from what I hear. Cincinnati's frum community basically all lives in qualifying neighborhoods though.

But $600 mortgage is very, very little, and it may be doable. I don't know what tuition bills you are looking at.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics