Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Convertible car seat

The Happy Wife

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 12:52 pm
I'm looking to buy a convertible car seat for when my baby outgrows his infant seat. Budget is flexible. Cheaper is better, but budget is flexible and we are able to spend more if it better suits our needs. We currently have a diono radian for our rear facing toddler. I don't want to get another radian. Here is what we are looking for:

Good for extended rear facing. My kids are tall and skinny.
Narrow seat. We have a small car.
Adjustable recline.
Straps that are easy to adjust (doesn't require tons of tugging, straps don't get stuck constantly)
Easy to install without latch.
No re-threading for height adjustments would be nice.

I have used the Chico nextfit, and it was great but felt like the straps were so hard to get tight. It always felt like it was sticking. The radian doesn't stick but I feel like I spend forever tugging it tight.
My infant seat, the Chico key fit 30, tightens so nicely and I would love something as easy. And since tightening is needed very time we get in the car, this is really important for us.

Does anyone have personal experience? Which seats do you like or dislike? Thanks.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:18 am
Bump Im using the Doona now. What are other options as hes growing out of it? What about the walmart car seat?

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:19 am
I have the Graco extend to fit and very happy with it.

teachkids

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:30 am
I have a graco slim fit and it’s working well.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 11:42 am
Check out Britax and Clek. Both top of the line car seat companies.

Or Grace slimfit for a budget friendly option.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 12:00 pm
After lots of research, we ended up torn between the Nuna Rava and the Britax ARB. We went with the Nuna and it’s been great.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 12:10 pm
Im looking for a budget friendly option. Is there only Graco or is the walmart cosco carseat safe ($50-$100)?

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 12:30 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Im looking for a budget friendly option. Is there only Graco or is the walmart cosco carseat safe ($50-$100)?

Coscos pass the safety tests, but they’re not known for being super easy to use or having such high height limits

amother
Copper

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 12:30 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:

All car seats sold in the US are safe. As far as my research has found, the cheapest one are Cosco (made for Walmart) or safety 1st. Both are made by Dorel, same company as maxi cosi, but aren’t great for extended rear facing.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 1:00 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
All car seats sold in the US are safe. As far as my research has found, the cheapest one are Cosco (made for Walmart) or safety 1st. Both are made by Dorel, same company as maxi cosi, but aren’t great for extended rear facing.

All carseats sold in the U.S. meet the minimum standard safety guidelines, but that does not mean that they are all equally safe. Some just barely meet the minimum standards, while others significantly exceed them.

If you're looking for a budget option, some of the Evenflo models might be worth a look in addition to the Graco's that you mentioned. For instance, the Evenflo Sure Ride is $90 and gets a "Best" safety score from Consumer Reports. It lets you rear face until 40" or 40lbs. I have never used this model so I can't vouch for it, but it certainly seems worth a look.

One thing about the Cosco Scenera Next is that the top harness slot is only 13.5", so you may need to buy another convertible seat once your child outgrows it but isn't ready for a booster. It's super light and a great travel option, though.

nelliesmellie

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 5:38 pm
Diono Radiant RXT checks off most of your boxes especially the slim fit. Very comfortable, narrow seat - very heavy though we have one per car because of that

flapsmom

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 7:11 pm
Just wanted to ask OP why she doesn't like the radian? I currently have the graco extend to fit and was considering switching for the radian as the graco takes up so. much.room. next to my pipa infant car seat that I basically completely lose my 3rd seat on the bench.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 7:23 pm
I have a Nuna convertible. I forgot the name. I like it a lot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics