Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Online Sewing Class - Seems Good

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 1:51 pm
I haven't done this, but my Good Thing Detector is twitching.

This particular Craftsy website online sewing class sounds innovative and easy.

If it only gave you confidence about zippers and skirt hemming, it might be worth it. It costs about forty dollars.

Your call. I don't know the lady. Just thought I'd mention it.

http://www.craftsy.com/class/s.....96955

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 1:58 pm
Or go to your local fabric store, they often have classes. And they have machines and materials. The online tutorials are good once you have the basics down.

(Shouldn't you rename the Thread "Online sewing classes - Seams good"?)

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 2:00 pm
Hee hee hee!

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 2:47 pm
Seriously, it seems or seams clever, if you can sew at all, as you say. She claims to de-mystify zippers.

Fox

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 2:59 pm
It looks great! And unless you're on a really tight budget, $29.99 is certainly in the realm of affordable purchases.

Even if you learn one technique that saves you money or allows you to do something you wouldn't have been able to do otherwise, you've come out ahead.

Personally, I'm a huge sucker for these kinds of videos. What's interesting is that I enjoy them for entertainment value alone -- whether or not I ever actually make the stuff!

I have one (among many!) from Nancy's Notions on how to turn sweatshirts into amazing jackets. I've never done this and probably won't, but I love watching it every so often! It always inspires me to work on whatever project I have going, and I just enjoy the creativity and fun.

Every once in a while, DH intercepts something in the mail and says, "Are you really going to make this?" I tell him that since I don't go to live theatre productions (not a small hashkafic concession in Chicago!) or movie theaters, he's getting off easy by paying for the occasional sewing video!

rosehill

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 6:57 pm
I've done several of Janet's classes, as well as others on craftsy. I usually wait until they're on a $19.99 sale.
Janet is very good, but her information is not for total beginners.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jul 17 2016, 11:06 pm
As a total beginner: has anyone taken a sewing class at a fabric store? How was it? What did you learn there?

Swissmiss

Post Sun, Jul 17 2016, 11:38 pm
Try YouTube first! Free and I've found some good videos on there!

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 4:17 am
amother wrote:
As a total beginner: has anyone taken a sewing class at a fabric store? How was it? What did you learn there?

I did in high school. I loved it. I already knew how to hand-sew a kind-of-straight seam, having learned that in early elementary school- I think I was about 8 when we sewed scrunchies in daycamp, and I'm pretty sure my mother and aunt had taught me how to thread a needle and sew on a button before that. So that may or may not have been a prerequisite for the class- hard to remember as it was well over a decade ago.

We learned how to use a sewing machine and did a few basic projects- a square pillow, a simple knapsack, and a pair of pajama pants. I did a second class that built on the first, where I made a sleeveless dress with princess seams and an invisible zipper (also interfacing, facings, and I think a blind hem). The project in class 3 was the jacket that went with the dress- skills included sleeves and buttonholes.

I'm glad I learned the basics face-to-face, and I love video tutorials and books now for more advanced techniques.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 7:31 am
Bumping to say there's a one-day 19.99 Craftsy sale today.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 12:51 pm
there are millions of you tubes that can teach you anything you want - for free
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing