Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Ladies with out a degree, or who dont use their degree
1  2  Next

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 8:55 pm
What do you do to earn money? What type of jobs do you do?

I happen to have a degree, but I have no desire to work in that feild anymore.

Just wondering what others do to supplement the income.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 9:06 pm
I have a degree in business and I work in IT.

I only got my job because I had a degree but the job I do has nothing to do with business.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 9:34 pm
My degree is in public policy and urban studies. I work in medical staffing. I worked in law and real estate which are slightly more related.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 9:35 pm
I have a degree in special Ed, I don't work.

cbg

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 9:53 pm
mommy2b2c wrote:
I have a degree in special Ed, I don't work.

Me too, I was forced into retirement after the school I worked for closed because of lack of funding. Best decision I ever made.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 10:37 pm
I teach in a chassidish school, no degree required.

I am looking into getting one.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 11:12 pm
I have an MSW. The hours don't work for my family. Now I write freelance.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 11:19 pm
I have a degree in education. Used it one year. Hated it. I worked in sales, then in HR (worked my way up to director) then took a long break from working and recently returned to the work force and became a bookkeeper.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 11:48 pm
How did you all make the switch? How did you get hired without a degree or experience? I am thinking of doing similar.

mirror

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 11:50 pm
There are many secretarial jobs in the paper that say "Entry level" or "Willing to train". Usually it means they pay on the lower end, but you need to start somewhere.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 8:10 am
I'm not able to go back to school at this point, but I've always wished to do something in the medical feild.
I've thought about becoming a doula, but the "on call" aspect always worried me. I'm not sure it would fit with my family life style. I have young kids, and I myself could become pregnant, which would make it difficult.
Also, the training programs all run over Shabbos....

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 8:18 am
I have a degree in special ed. Didn't use it for nearly a decade. Now I'm using it and I'm so glad I have it. You may have to polish up and take a few new courses, but you never lose your education.

Member24

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 10:34 am
I don't have a degree. I started going to (Touro) college, but never decided what I wanted to major in. During that time, I had a secretarial job in a business that sold on Amazon. I got married less than a year later, left college, kept the job. Now 3 years later, I have a lot of know-how in the Amazon Marketplace, work for a large Amazon-based company and do a bit of sales of my own on the side. Although a degree can be useful, learning a business on the job is the best experience one can get.
(I also tutored for regents, but took a break now for the summer. If you have 2-3 hours available a week, this is a great, fairly simple way to supplement your income.)

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 2:59 pm
amother wrote:
How did you all make the switch? How did you get hired without a degree or experience? I am thinking of doing similar.

I worked in business for 8 years. Then this IT job came up through a client of the business I worked for and I took it because it was a much better job than what I currently had.

I went in as entry level so they trained me.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 3:10 pm
amother wrote:

I got into paralegal work in college. I wanted a part time job in my last year but had little interest in retail or waiting tables so a local chesed org that helps with job placement found me a part time job working for an attorney. I found that I really enjoyed it. After a few years of legal work I was feeling like a change so I took a job in a real estate office but it was awful for a variety of reasons that are not relevant. I had a baby and was getting ready to go back to work when I was offered a one week temp job while someone was on vacation. I took a huge risk and he hired me after he came back.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 3:26 pm
I also have a degree in special ed Very Happy Talk about a flooded market!

Now I write on a regular basis for a local company (blogging, promotional leaflets, advertising, press releases etc.) and freelance (mostly promotional writing). If you have a talent, try to find an unfilled niche for it; in my case there were no good local promotional writers.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 3:39 pm
amother wrote:
I also have a degree in special ed Very Happy Talk about a flooded market!

Now I write on a regular basis for a local company (blogging, promotional leaflets, advertising, press releases etc.) and freelance (mostly promotional writing). If you have a talent, try to find an unfilled niche for it; in my case there were no good local promotional writers.

I would like this I think. How did you get hired to do that?

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 10:33 pm
amother wrote:
I would like this I think. How did you get hired to do that?

I actually got lucky with my current job, I started looking for a new job and it really just fell into my lap. Previously I had worked for other companies that did not pay well at all but were good for my resume and for polishing my skills (I got those jobs answering the classifieds). You may want to start in a data-entry type of job or writing descriptions (product or other) for websites.

My freelance clients all came to me via word-of-mouth. I don't currently advertise. I did some writing as a favor for a friend who made it big in his line of business, and he recommended me to others who in turn recommended me to more clients. My success is, b"H, due to mazel.

I love it because I can work from home and stay home with my kids. I make my own hours and decide which clients to take on. I can charge large amounts because I write professionally and work quickly (and I'm accommodating); it also helps that I have an area of expertise rather than just being a jack-of-all-trades "writer."

But freelancing can be tricky, I don't think I'd make it as a solitary breadwinner.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 10:53 pm
I started off with an entry level job and worked my way up to director of customer service.
I was in college for a short while but got engaged/married/pregnant and did not go back.
When I was pregnant I need to switch to someplace more local and took a job in real estate. It was pretty awful due to the person I worked for but I stuck it out due to the hours and location.
I then got an opportunity as an assistant at a firm. They needed someone with my organizational / managerial experience and experience in dealing with difficult people so they were willing to pay what I was asking for. I work exceptionally hard, juggling an entire department. They definitely keep me on my toes and I wouldn't be able to do it without my own assistant.
All this in a matter of about 15 years.

Prepare a resume. List your experience for sure. But first half of resume should have your skills and qualifications listed which can be exceptional organization skills, overseeing skills, ability to see project from start to finish, detail oriented, and the like. Which would work for many a type job and you should be able to apply for just about anything you want to.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 10:57 pm
amother wrote:
I actually got lucky with my current job, I started looking for a new job and it really just fell into my lap. Previously I had worked for other companies that did not pay well at all but were good for my resume and for polishing my skills (I got those jobs answering the classifieds). You may want to start in a data-entry type of job or writing descriptions (product or other) for websites.

My freelance clients all came to me via word-of-mouth. I don't currently advertise. I did some writing as a favor for a friend who made it big in his line of business, and he recommended me to others who in turn recommended me to more clients. My success is, b"H, due to mazel.

I love it because I can work from home and stay home with my kids. I make my own hours and decide which clients to take on. I can charge large amounts because I write professionally and work quickly (and I'm accommodating); it also helps that I have an area of expertise rather than just being a jack-of-all-trades "writer."

But freelancing can be tricky, I don't think I'd make it as a solitary breadwinner.

Yes my dh is the breadwinner I dont work at all now, but I like your description. Thanks for the suggestion!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics