Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Family trip with young kids driving from new york
1  2  Next

Rosemarie

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 6:59 pm
What's the best place to go to with kids ages 3-8 that's driving distance from new York? I was thinking new hampshire, but then someone mentioned to me Lancaster and I thought that was a good idea too. Any other ideas? Can anyone share what there is to do in these places and which would have more things for kids?
Needs to be near a minyan all week, not just shabbos. Does not have to be with any specific program/kosher hotel... We are very fine bringing along food. Being near enough to drive somewhere to buy food for shabbos would be a bonus, though.
Thanks

Last edited by Rosemarie on Thu, Jul 09 2015, 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

gold21

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 7:12 pm
I have heard great feedback on Lancaster. People love it. Definitely on my to-do list IY"H.

sky

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 7:22 pm
Lancaster is very young family friendly.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 7:24 pm
anything can be driving distance from new york.

consider onset, MA. you can rent a small cabin or larger house. you'll have multiple beaches (semi-private) within walking distance, and a minyan daily.

http://www.capecodshul.org/cap.....x.php

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 8:19 pm
Lancaster is great! My kids still talk about it three years later. Dutch Wonderland, Cherry Crest Adventure Farm, and the horse and buggy rides were all great. Everything is in walking distance from each other and there are many hotels in the area. There is also a shul nearby with minyanim. They even announced a mincha minyan at Cherry Crest Farm.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 8:37 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Lancaster is great! My kids still talk about it three years later. Dutch Wonderland, Cherry Crest Adventure Farm, and the horse and buggy rides were all great. Everything is in walking distance from each other and there are many hotels in the area. There is also a shul nearby with minyanim. They even announced a mincha minyan at Cherry Crest Farm.

Do you have any info on the shul?

shira143

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 9:08 pm
Center city Philadelphia, you have mikveh israel and another shul in the area, but higher numbers 18th, mikveh israel is 5th st. I kno mikveh israel to have a weekly minyan. Here we have Please touch museum, zoo, Franklin institute, sprinkler parks, Smith playground etc.

ETA: in terms of food, you also have a few options kosher vegan options. And a kosher Turkish (?)meat restaurant.

Last edited by shira143 on Fri, Jul 10 2015, 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

ruchelbuckle

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 9:21 pm
Lancaster is a blast for that age

Cherry Crest Farm.
Kreider Farms tour.
buggy ride
train museum
turkey hill is about 1/2 hour away
herr's potato chip is 45 minutes away

There is a shul in the actual city of Lancaster, and chabad runs a guesthouse near there.

Everyone visits lancaster COUNTY. there is no shul there, but weekdays in August you will find tons and tons of frum people. I know there are specific hotels (Doubletree and Best Western) that are very popular with frum families.

Rosemarie

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 10:02 pm
Wow! Thanks everyone for all the replies.
Mummiedearest, cape cod sounds so interesting, so many things listed on that website!
Those of you posting things to do in Lancaster, thanks.
Any other ideas are welcome, although they will make my decision that much harder to make!

doctorima

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 11:49 pm
For that age I would go with Lancaster. Definitely Dutch Wonderland and Cherry Crest Farms, also I believe there's a potato chip or pretzel (kosher) factory nearby with a tour. And on the way out there, there's a few caves you can stop to tour. Onset and NH are great, but probably in 2-3 years your kids would appreciate them more.

sky

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 8:55 am
I believe the shul in Lancaster is Degel Israel.
During bein hazmanim many hotels end up having minyanim.
Lots of good ideas.
The train ride to cherry crest farm is also a lot of fun.
If you are willing to drive, (or stay in Harrisburg which also has a shul) you can visit Lake Tobias. Its a full day - my kids love it - part zoo, safari, petting zoo. it is fantastic.
On the way back to Lancaster you can stop in Hershey World for the free chocolate ride.
If you only eat cholov yisroel you can ask for dairy free or nut free snack after the ride and they will give twizzlers instead of the chocolate.

We loved staying in the Best Western Eden Resort - but during the busy summer season it is expensive and fills quickly.
I know a few people who have stayed at the Ramada [It may have changed names] across from Dutch Wonderland. The reviews online are really bad but the people I know who stayed there were very happy - they said the rooms were very big for a family - but they aren't very particular people.
When we go during busy season we like staying about 10 - 15 minute drive outside of Lancaster because the hotels aren't as packed.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 10:35 am
I'm looking for a decent hotel with 2 bedroom suites in lancaster. any recomendations based on experience?

sky

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 10:53 am
Best Western Eden Resort. It is expensive and fills up fast. We've stayed there only off season. Really nice big rooms and activities for kids on grounds.
You can also call about the villas (I think that is what they call them).

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 10:58 am
amother wrote:
Do you have any info on the shul?

It looks like their website is no longer available, but I found this: http://lancasterpa.com/jewish-congregations/

It's Degel Israel

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 11:20 am
sky wrote:
Best Western Eden Resort. It is expensive and fills up fast. We've stayed there only off season. Really nice big rooms and activities for kids on grounds.
You can also call about the villas (I think that is what they call them).

They're full already. Any other recommendations?

ruchelbuckle

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 11:57 am
I've been to lancaster a few times and never stayed in a hotel. I've always rented a house, usually less expensive and more room for everyone to run around.

http://www.discoverlancaster.c.....x.asp

you can find one to rent here.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 12:25 pm
ruchelbuckle wrote:
I've been to lancaster a few times and never stayed in a hotel. I've always rented a house, usually less expensive and more room for everyone to run around.

http://www.discoverlancaster.c.....x.asp

you can find one to rent here.

Thanks, but I want to stay next to the minyan in Downtown lancaster. SO I'm looking for a hotel.

sky

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 1:46 pm
IIRC the hotels are not right next door to the shul.

doctorima

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 7:04 pm
IIRC, we stayed at a Country Inn and Suites that was right across the street from, or very close to, Dutch Wonderland, and had a 2-room suite. That was years ago, but we were very happy. I think it was around 10ish minutes for DH to get to the main shul for minyan.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Jul 11 2015, 11:14 pm
doctorima wrote:
IIRC, we stayed at a Country Inn and Suites that was right across the street from, or very close to, Dutch Wonderland, and had a 2-room suite. That was years ago, but we were very happy. I think it was around 10ish minutes for DH to get to the main shul for minyan.
Thanks, they don't have any 2 bedroom suites available ,anybody else?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics