Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Is he ready yet?

PinkandYellow

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 2:36 am
I don't know if this is the right forum, but here goes.
my son is turning 2 in a mth. for a few months now, when my son makes a stinky, he'll point to his belly and say s/t (its not really an english word, just a certain series of sounds). the past 2\3 weeks, he's been doing it but when I cked the diaper it wasn't dirty so I start to suspect that he is doing it when he pishes. this was confirmed on friday. I got him undressed for a bath and he was walking behind me into the bathroom, when all of a sudden he stops, points to his belly, says somehting unintelligible, and pishes all over the floor. at a later point I had put him on the toilet, just stam, to see how he would react and he was ok with it. and I don't know if this is related but recently he's been giving me problems with changing his diaper, he won't lay down for me and even if I take off his diaper I need to force him to lay down to get the new one on. oh, and I'm due in 2.5\3 mths, so if I can train him now it would obviously be a major convenience.
so, what do you think?

suomynona

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 3:34 am
as far as your son giving you problems changing your diaper, my son has been doing that forever. Alot of kids do that at 1 yrs old already. Doesn't mean anything. But the other stuff might mean he is.

su7kids

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 4:53 am
Why don't you talk to him and ask him if he wants to make on the toilet when he says those sounds?

Or, if you catch him pishing or #2'ing, you can tell him what he's doing and help him to understand that it goes in the toilet.

Kids who are raised with diapers have no clue that there is another place to put it, so teach him and see if he'll cooperate.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 5:52 am
He's certainly showing awareness - so what's the harm in trying? Doing it at an earlier age is really much easier... as they get older some children become more resistant to change and potty training can become a battle of the wills.

justanothermother

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 7:59 am
It sounds like he has the awareness. You have to make a connection between his signals and the toilet. You can keep him in a diaper in the meanwhile until you see if he is making the connection.

I know it would be great to have only one in daipers, but think about making changes so soon before another baby. I also trained my son at almost two, a few months before my baby was born. He was fully trained until she was born, then he went back to diapers for almost a year. I guess he wasn't ready to give up being my baby also.

happymom

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 9:30 am
at eighteen months my daugther was telling me she was making and that she had to go to the toilet. now shes two and she also tells me but the thing is she doesnt want to make in the toilet. shes also been brining me diaper and wipes and saying change me since shes around 18 months.... I hope shell want to make in the toilet soon..... Confused

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 11:44 am
(My two year old shows awareness but is petrified of the toilet Sad
Every time he looks like he might have to go, and I ask him, and he says yes, I then ask him "Do you want to go to the bathroom?" and he starts screaming his scared cry and yelling "Noooo" Sad )

lubcoralsprings

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 8:41 pm
DS is two years and three months and most definitely ready. He takes off his diaper when he makes and or tells me he's making. I am just way to lazy to train. I'm keeping my kids home for the first half of summer and can't be bothered to work with him. I think when the kiddos go to the second session of camp I will work with him.

BlumaG

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 11:40 pm
DD turned 2 last wk, we starteed and its going well
go for it but take it easy

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 12:13 am
He sounds ready to me. If I were you I'd try for a week or two and if it doesnt work out, put it on the back burner for after you give birth.

If I werent going awa in august I'd trainmy son now. he knows the right Yiddish word for going potty and what the toilet is for. He's mortified if he has a bowel movement in the bathtub. he probably woudl get the hang of it. But I dont want to chase after him all August in the country and keep cleaning up his accidents outdoors, so it'll have to wait for after yomim noraim....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training