Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Disturbing! Sunscreen wont come off toys- at all!!

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 11:46 am
My son sprayed sunscreen all over a set of magnatiles (it was the icing on his cake!) and it left a film. Some of the magnatiles are attached together, and others are sticky and others just have a hard bumpy film on it. I have tried water and soap, vinegar, goo-gone, and nail polish remover with no luck!!! anyone have an idea??

and isnt it disturbing that we spray this on our childrens bodies???????

AlwaysThinking

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 12:12 pm
I'm surprised the soap didn't work. did you use dishwashing soap?

Also, it's not really so disturbing... you want it to stay on their skin as best as possible! Wink

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 12:13 pm
I think the point might be that it doesn't come off. Otherwise every time you sweat you would need to reapply it.

But have you tried oxi clean powder? That stuff gets a lot clean.
Or maybe windex or Lysol-it cuts grease pretty well...
Good luck!

PAMOM

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 12:53 pm
Try Dawn dish detergent. They clean wildlife with it after oil spills,

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 12:56 pm
sticky residue is most easily removed with oil. rub it with oil, then wash with soap and water. it should come off.

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 6:56 pm
Baking soda is my go-to for removing icky films. HOWEVER: it is possible that what you are seeing is not sunscreen residue, but the results of the sunscreen's reaction with the plastic. IOW, the sunscreen may have essentially dissolved the plastic. In that case, the stuff will never come off and the surface will remain tacky forever. Virtually every sunscreen container states that the product may react with some plastics.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 10:31 am
I think the last response was on target. It seems like the magnatiles are damaged from the sunscreen. We had some luck getting the stickiness off with straight up acetone, leaving the plastic a bit bumpy but not sticky. When my gloves disintegrated from the chemical I gave up... we are down a set of magnatiles... Sad

Well, I guess you learn something new everyday, sunscreen can damage plastic!

I am still a little wary of spraying such a thing on my child! What are those same chemicals doing to my sons skin?

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 8:01 pm
amother wrote:

I am still a little wary of spraying such a thing on my child! What are those same chemicals doing to my sons skin?

One does not follow from the other. A lot of oily materials will react badly with plastic, including some excellent skin creams. Skin is not remotely similar to plastic, chemically speaking.

However, if you mistrust sunblocks, go for the type with zinc oxide rather than organic sunscreening compounds. Be aware that the vehicle itself, iow the lotion or cream in which the Zn2O3is suspended, is what will react with plastics, so your next set of magnatiles could get ruined as well. Your other alternatives are to dress your dc in burqas or keep him indoors except on rainy nights.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics