Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Toddler jet lag

amother

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 9:27 pm
How do you over come it? We were overseas for 1mnth and now back just in time for me to give birth. But, now dd isn't sleeping! She's up all night (and hungry too) and sleeps during the day. I've tried to keep her up but she just falls asleep in any positiion and won't get up.

Also, since I'm due in a few weeks, I really don't want over-exhaust myself either in the chance that I go into labor sometime soon and I'll need my energy. On the other hand, if I can't get dd back on track b4 the baby arrives, I end up A) With a backward schedule myself B) a 18mnth and a newborn keeping me up at all sorts of weird hrs ( and who knows if they even will be sycronized C) who is going to want to take dd when I'm in the hospital if she sleeps all day and up all night isn't that a bit much to ask of anyone?

So what's everyones opinion? Should I even bother getting her back on track if I may not succeed b4 I give birth anyway, and if I do attempt it, any tips? How do I do it without putting myself in a compromised situation? Any one with some good advice is more than welcome to add their 2cents

cdawnr

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 10:39 pm
My kids have never been quite that off schedule--just east coast-west coast difference...but I think it is worth it to get her back on schedule. It is healthier for her and it will probably happen before the baby arrives. Why not try adjusting her one hour at a time. For instance, if she is seven hours off--try to encourage her to a six hour difference, then five, etc.

I have no idea if this makes sense or not. Perhaps the best way woul dbe to tkae her to something like the zoo all day and force her awake unitl she crashes at night...

Ok, I don't know what would work, but It hink it better to try.

Ima'la

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 3:33 am
I definitely think you should try to get her back on track...If you can't keep her up until her normal bedtime, then make the changes gradually. Also, don't let her sleep too late in the morning. If she naps during the day, wake her up after about an hour or so. They say it takes "one day per hour" of time difference to get back on track. It's always hard dealing with toddlers' jetlag - but you'll get there! G'luck!

amother

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 3:56 am
op here,
dd is about 10-11 hrs off schedule. I think I'm having such a hard time getting her back bcz basically her nights and days have flip flopped. she's completely backwards. I'm trying to keep her up today, but already I am feeling an increase in really strong contractions, bcz I'm exhausted. I'm not sure if my body can take it and DH has to go to work. I have just under 3wks till my due date (I've already been trying for over a wk to get dd back to a normal schedule at this point)

She's also too young to really realize night and day so if she's sleeping during the day or awake at night I doubt she realizes something is wrong. Oh and when she decides that she wants to sleep there's no stopping her, she just collapses wherever she wants and since she is such a deep sleeper no amount of propping, noises, stripping or coxing will get her up till she's ready.

The 1hr a day thing though sounds good. I just hope I don't go into labor before she back on track. any other tips???

ganizzy

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 8:07 am
try to keep the day like day and night like night - dark, quiet, not playing time, not too much food.

they say its an hour a day but it does take a while. when we came back from overseas I had to shake and nudge my kids till they woke up from a nap. and these are kids who will wake up if u open the door!

can u take her to somewhere outdoors that u dont have to run around much? an enclosed place. can you pay a girl for an hour to take her out and keep her active?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics