Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Kitchen designer needed. I already gave a deposit.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 9:39 am
I need a kitchen designer. I already gave a deposit, but I want an outside person to design a layout and show me options.

Who is available by the hour in Brooklyn, who is very good, and works with people whether they buy the kitchen from them or not?

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 1:38 pm
Send lifeboat a p.m. She did a gorgeous job on my kitchen.

As an aside, why would you ever give a deposit before you know what you are ordering? You lost your bargaining power. This is the best deal for the seller and the worst for you.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 4:39 pm
amother wrote:
Send lifeboat a p.m. She did a gorgeous job on my kitchen.

As an aside, why would you ever give a deposit before you know what you are ordering? You lost your bargaining power. This is the best deal for the seller and the worst for you.

I can't enlarge at all, and whatever options I have aren't that major, its a matter of placement of sinks. appliances, etch. pretty much. Relatives used the guy, so that's why I chose him.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 5:19 pm
amother wrote:
I can't enlarge at all, and whatever options I have aren't that major, its a matter of placement of sinks. appliances, etch. pretty much. Relatives used the guy, so that's why I chose him.

That's great and use the guy. He has no incentive whosoever to give you a good price. What would it have hurt you to price the job properly? You opened up your checkbook without proper brakes. This guy is going to maximize his profit on you.

Imagine walking into a car dealership and saying here is your deposit. I will buy a car from you my relative was happy. Ok now tell me what is the price. You will get list price and not a competitive price.

You need to approach contractors and say you are interested and what is your price before you pay anything.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 11:29 pm
Kitchen people dont come to your house to measure until AFTER you give a deposit.

Until the kitchen guy measures and sees your kitchen, theyre not 100% sure what cabinets you need, and many get the shock then, that what they thought the kitchen would cost, is actually not accurate.

Ive heard this from many people who used different dealers.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 12:20 am
amother wrote:
Kitchen people dont come to your house to measure until AFTER you give a deposit.

Until the kitchen guy measures and sees your kitchen, theyre not 100% sure what cabinets you need, and many get the shock then, that what they thought the kitchen would cost, is actually not accurate.

Ive heard this from many people who used different dealers.

Then you have been snowed. Kitchen people will want money to draw up a design because once you have that you can compare prices. Once you have that first design you can shop cabinets. They will all do modifications of the first design free - every.single.one.of.them. You went about this completely backwards. No one orders cabinets without field measuring no matter who drew up the design.

I recently put in a high end kitchen. I took lifeboats basic design. I not only shopped it locally at several frum places I went to the several of the high end kitchen places in the Architects and Design Building. All modified it for free to fit their vision. For the same quality cabinets I received quotes from $20,000 to $60,000. This range was just for my cabinets. Had I done what you did I am sure the kitchen would have come in at $60,000 or above it. Instead I got it at the low end pricewise for the highest quality. I ended up ordering from lifeboat and using her basic design which was praised by all the kitchen places btw. She credited me the money paid for the design. I know I got a great deal.

What did you get for your deposit? You don't even have a design. You went about this completely backwards.

If I were you, I would get my money back since there was no work done. You can tell the contractor you are not comfortable until you have a firm price. Go get a design and then competitively price the job like a responsible homeowner. I think you will find you will save thousands.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 1:04 am
amother wrote:
Then you have been snowed. Kitchen people will want money to draw up a design because once you have that you can compare prices. Once you have that first design you can shop cabinets. They will all do modifications of the first design free - every.single.one.of.them. You went about this completely backwards. No one orders cabinets without field measuring no matter who drew up the design.

I recently put in a high end kitchen. I took lifeboats basic design. I not only shopped it locally at several frum places I went to the several of the high end kitchen places in the Architects and Design Building. All modified it for free to fit their vision. For the same quality cabinets I received quotes from $20,000 to $60,000. This range was just for my cabinets. Had I done what you did I am sure the kitchen would have come in at $60,000 or above it. Instead I got it at the low end pricewise for the highest quality. I ended up ordering from lifeboat and using her basic design which was praised by all the kitchen places btw. She credited me the money paid for the design. I know I got a great deal.

What did you get for your deposit? You don't even have a design. You went about this completely backwards.

If I were you, I would get my money back since there was no work done. You can tell the contractor you are not comfortable until you have a firm price. Go get a design and then competitively price the job like a responsible homeowner. I think you will find you will save thousands.

Possibly right.

But, the deposit was about $1,000. If the actual price is way way more than the ballpark price, I can take a walk elsewhere and forfeit the deposit which will be well worth the loss, if I end up saving thousands.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 1:05 am
Does lifeboat have a company name?

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 7:23 am
She does. I thought if you gave her a p.m. She can stay anonymous. If you have an email I can.give it to you that way.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 9:58 am
Unless shed be upset that youre recommending her here (doubtful), Id love to know the company name and contact number please, without offering my username/email. Thanks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics