Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Niagara/Toronto on a budget HELP
1  2  Next

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 12:59 pm
Posting anonymously because everyone who knows me has heard about this already.
We are planning a trip to Toronto/Niagara in the very near future. Our original plan was to go for a week, and have a great time doing as much as we can pack into a week. Due to personal reasons, we now don't have the money to spend there. We spoke to our older children, and explained that we will be doing very little, and asked if they still want to go and they said yes. So here goes......
We will be there Friday morning till Tuesday afternoon. We are staying by friends in Toronto, about an hour from the falls. Besides for food and gas, we have a budget of about 300 dollars. My kids want to go to Ripleys believe it or not. What else can we do? Any links I can check out?
We have an almost 11 year old, a 9 year old, my husband and myself, and a 4 month old.

Runner18

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 1:23 pm
I think it's worth doing the Maid of the Mist and be able to experience the falls close-up.
I think there are Ripley's in the other places besides that area....

Get a fridge in your hotel room so you can buy food in Toronto and keep food cost down.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 1:38 pm
We are not staying in a hotel. We are staying about an hour away, on the Canadian side.

chayamiriam

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 2:02 pm
I have been to Ripleys believe it or not running a tour group waste of money go with Maude of the mist and other falls attractions you can do ripleys in New York about the same waste of money

doctorima

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 2:07 pm
Just so you know, Toronto is about 2 hours from Niagara Falls, not one. If they're dying for Ripley's then take them I guess, but you can do Ripley's in many other places. It's certainly not the best use of your limited money, and many feel that while interesting, it's a bit of a tourist trap. Definitely do Maid of the Mist. Cave of the Winds on the American side is very fun, and you get soaked. Make sure you budget for parking, which isn't cheap.

sky

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 2:11 pm
I'd also recommend caves of the wind or Maid of the mist over Ripleys. Its a way to really experience the falls.
You can walk across the bridge by the border.

madys

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 3:59 pm
Check out groupon for deals

alwayscooking

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 4:04 pm
Being that we just back from NiAgara I would definitely recommend you but tickets from the Chabad Shliach.
He sells tickets for all attractions at discounted prices. I would also recommend going on the Aero car if it fits in to your budget.

doctorima

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 5:13 pm
Also, for a different experience, you can rent bikes in Niagara-on-the-Lake and ride the bike trail there - very pretty!

chaya35

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 5:17 pm
cave of the winds is a must

Gerbera

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 5:18 pm
As someone mentioned it is more than an hour away from Toronto!

Are you looking for what to do in Toronto or Niagara Falls?

Clifton hill (where Ripleys is) is an overpriced tourist trap. It's poor quality attractions at ridiculous prices. Don't waste your money. The place is small and you'll be in and out in no time. It's more enjoyable to buy one of their books!!

Maid of the mist is a far better idea.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 5:49 pm
Simply stand and look at the falls, during the day, at night, from the American side, from the Canadian side, luna island, goat island.

Cave of the winds
maid of the mist
scenic tunnels

ayintova

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 5:56 pm
I agree with the others. I personally would not do Ripley's unless your kids have their hearts set on it. There is a Butterfly Conservatory as well as Bird Kingdom. Discounted tickets can usually be found online or you could check with Chabad. FYI, the boat cruise is Maid of the Mist when you board on the American side and it's called Hornblower cruises when you board from Canada. Will you be bringing your own food? I have a couple of good places for picnics or BBQ if you have a portable one.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 12:24 am
Toronto is most definitely MORE THAN AN HOUR AWAY. Two hours on a good day if you aren't travelling at rush hours.

I have no idea about attractions because I work16 to 18 hours a day but love the hornblower!

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 12:25 am
Also rabbi zaltzman is your best resource for attractions tickets!

def

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 4:21 am
another vote for maid of the mist over ripley's!

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 8:17 am
andrea levy wrote:
Also rabbi zaltzman is your best resource for attractions tickets!

What is the number for rabbi salt zman? I am going this week too.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 8:18 am
Ayintova, can you please post picnic/ BBQ locations? Ty

joystock

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 8:21 am
Andrea, how close is your restaurant to the attractions? What is the address?

ayintova

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 5:11 pm
Check out Niagara Glen. Free parking and picnic pavilion. Lots of hiking trails for the older kids. Stairs go down to the rapids so if you bring the baby there, I would use a wearable carrier. http://www.niagaraparks.com/ni......html

There's also Dufferin Islands which is right near the falls. You can drive into the gardens/park area and park near the picnic tables. We once spread an army blanket on the grass for a picnic and the winds blew it into the water!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics