Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
New Babysitter

sarahd

Post Mon, Jun 27 2005, 2:40 pm
My babysitter is quitting on me, but I think I found a new one. My problem is this: When I started with my current sitter, my baby was 4 months old; besides, she's my SIL so he knew her already. Now he's 12 months old and he doesn't know the new babysitter at all. What do I do to ease the transition?

Post Mon, Jun 27 2005, 4:19 pm
Can the sitter come over before she starts, so you can introduce your baby to her? the three of you can "play" together, and that way your baby sees that you "approve" of this new person in his life. he will most likely cry when you leave, but only for a few minutes, and it he may do this for a few weeks. it's hard, but hopefully he'll be okay. I know some mothers "sneak out" when it's time to go, so the baby doesn't the mother leaving. I've done that at times, but then it's just a delayed reaction, when my daughter realizes that I'm not there anymore, then she starts crying.

hisorerus

Post Mon, Jun 27 2005, 7:35 pm
In my experience, the transition is not as bad as you'd think. If the babysitter knows the tricks of the trade (don't push yourself on the child, give them some time) most kids will adjust in 15 minutes or so. (This is in my experience, of course)

Tefila

Post Mon, Jun 27 2005, 8:00 pm
Quote:
Can the sitter come over before she starts, so you can introduce your baby to her? the three of you can "play" together, and that way your baby sees that you "approve" of this new person in his life. he will most likely cry when you leave, but only for a few minutes, and it he may do this for a few weeks. it's hard, but hopefully he'll be okay.

0613 I couldn't agree more Thumbs Up

sarahd

Post Tue, Jun 28 2005, 3:44 am
Well, I bring the baby to the sitter, so it won't work to have her come over. However, I think I will try going over there for a half hour or so one day this week. What do you think - should I bring him the next day for an hour? I mean, leave him for an hour and then pick him up again, or does it make no difference to him if I leave him for one hour or seven hours?

Tefila

Post Tue, Jun 28 2005, 12:02 pm
Quote:
or does it make no difference to him if I leave him for one hour or seven hours?
Thats a rhetoric question right?! Confused

Post Tue, Jun 28 2005, 12:12 pm
freilich, I think she's asking about the separation part of it. once he gets over the "mommy leaving" part, he should be okay whether you leave him there for one hour or 7 (ie. during the rest of the time he's there, he shouldn't all of the sudden start crying for mommy again). I definitely think it's a good idea to go over there for a 1/2 hour when you can be with him. and maybe, on the day that you'll actually leave him, go 15-30 minutes early and stay with him for that time.
I had a wedding last night, left me almost 2 y/o daughter with a babysitter. the minute we got out of the car after picking up the babysitter, my dd started crying and didn't stop until a few minutes after I left. but, the babysitter said she was fine after that. if this babysitter comes again to babysit tomorrow night (when we have sheva brachos) I'm going to assume that my dd will cry again. but I know she's okay!

sarahd

Post Wed, Jun 29 2005, 4:31 am
thanks for the advice. I had planned to go tomorrow with the baby for a half hour and then on Monday go 15 minutes early...but this morning the new babysitter called me at work and told me she changed her mind about taking the job!! Arrrgghhh!!!! Exploding anger Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil I already told my current sitter that I have a replacement; now I have to ask her to continue a bit more. And start the search again. Gam zu letovah. May the aggravation be a kappara.

Pearl

Post Wed, Jun 29 2005, 4:37 am
I am sure it's letova! your next sitter will iyh be a gem!
good luck!

supermom

Post Wed, Jun 29 2005, 6:16 am
you should try what I did with my kids when ever you do find another babysitter. let her tag along with you sil for a couple of times and your baby will become friendly to her. that is if you are willing to pay for two babysitters for a little while

sheshycoco

Post Sun, Jan 15 2006, 7:37 pm
I had that with my son, I asked the babysitter to come a little earlier, the she would take him out, and he was happy, I would give him his special cookie, he was of similar age, and he was happy. Gluck, it;s def. worth a try.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics