Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Bees and wasps in sukkah...

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 12:56 pm
This is our first married yamim noraim coming up, and we will be by my in-laws at least for some of sukkos. I don't know what to do tho...I love sukkos night, yummy weather, yummy food. And I can handle moths. But I don't like sukkos day because there are bees and wasps. What should I do??? I don't want my in, laws to see me jumping around in terror every time one comes near me...so embarrassing! What to do?? It like to give myself time to get over this far and figure out what to do...tia!

perquacky

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 1:53 pm
Hang a bee/wasp trap in the sukkah. I've heard they work pretty well.
Or do what I do and duck under the table until the bees leave. (I do it for moths too.)

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 4:16 pm
My only problem with traps in the sukkah, is that bdavka brings them into the sukkah! I'll have to duck...

animeme

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 5:10 pm
You hang the traps outside somewhere. We sit ours on top of the shed, a good fifteen feet away. Maybe you could buy two and give it as a gift to both your parents and in laws.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 5:14 pm
Maybe...lol b4 I even get to my in laws, I have to tell my husband of my fear!

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 5:29 pm
Sukkos is late September/early October, so it may not be so bad. But hang the traps outside the Sukkah just to be safe. I also have a bee phobia.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 5:51 pm
True.

SRB

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 2:03 am
We had bees in our sukkah last year and a friend suggested spraying peppermint oil... So I did and I also burned it in a diffuser. It really helped to keep them away.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 10:07 am
At one point we tried the bee traps. They did help a lot, but the problem was that they had to be cleaned afterwards and it was a really gross job that no one wanted to do and we stopped using them.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 1:43 pm
We put out bowls of vinegar at the table to keep away flying insects.
My mom used the bee traps out of the sukkah to keep them elsewhere and I think they had to be thrown out because who wants to clean them but they worked.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 9:55 pm
OP - thought about you over YT. How did it go??

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 10:03 pm
Aww thanks! So I ended up warning my in laws before sukkos to prepare them Smile first day, my husband came home from shul and made kiddush just for the two of us, and guess what?? Right as we were finishing up, a bee flew in and I announced my refusal to sit in the sukkah. I ended up sitting in the sukkah, holding my husband's jacket the whole time in case I had to throw it over my head to protect myself Smile 2nd day we ate out...I was so nervous. I told my husband I would hide behind him in case of emergency. Three bees came in during first course, and my husband protected me (as if he could do anything but that while I hid behind him and held onto him for dear life). Then, much to my relief, it started pouring, and the meal was moved indoors. Gd was protecting me!!! Thanks for thinking of me Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics