Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Potato kugel made from instant mashed potatoes?

fbc

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 5:52 pm
Is there such a thing? Anyone have a recipe? Is it good? Tried and true?

anon for this

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:46 pm
fbc wrote:
Is there such a thing? Anyone have a recipe? Is it good? Tried and true?

I've never done this, but I've made potato kugel from latke mix by following the directions on the box. The consistency is different than regular potato kugel and it tastes best when hot.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:52 pm
Sounds awful!

fbc

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:55 pm
How awful can it be? If I generally put the potatoes in the food processor until mushy/creamy, what's the diff? Just add the right ingredients no? I'm just asking. I'm not gonna try it out if it'll really be that bad!!

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:04 pm
You process the potatoes when raw, mashed potatoes (even fresh) are cooked. Big difference.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:08 pm
My bubby used to make mashed potato latkes on pesach. (From scratch of course. No instant on pesach for her.)

Some in my family loved it, but meh. The regular ones were better.

yenny

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:20 pm
youngishbear wrote:
My bubby used to make mashed potato latkes on pesach. (From scratch of course. No instant on pesach for her.)

Some in my family loved it, but meh. The regular ones were better.

Those are called chremslach

cbg

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:28 pm
I once saw raw grated potato in the market.
So I bought it to make kugel.
The kugel was just ok.
It seemed like it was lacking something.

If you are looking for convenience and don't care too much about taste then go for it, but I've warned you, the results are not going to be great.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:30 pm
yenny wrote:
Those are called chremslach

Yup they are.

Point is there is a significant difference in taste between regular kugel and mashed potato kugel, or kugelettes. Aka chremzlech.

delesammich

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 2:45 am
I like kugel made with instant mashed potatoes better than the real thing. I don't really have a recipe, I make the potatoes according to the box, then add a couple tablespoons of Smart Balance, a couple spoons of mayonnaise, a couple eggs, salt and pepper to taste, a teaspoon of baking powder, and 2 heaping teaspoons of garlic shallot crisp. To make crisp, peel and thinly slice 2 large shallots and 8 large cloves of garlic. Add garlic and shallots to a saucepan, add 1-1/2 c. neutral oil and fry on med hi heat for 15-20 minutes. Be careful not to burn, you want it lightly toasted. Cool garlic shallot crisp and pour crisp and oil into a jar. It should keep indefinitely.
Mix together potatoes, Smart Balance, mayo, eggs, salt, pepper, baking powder and garlic shallot crisp.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, place your baking dish in to heat up, then pour a couple tbsp of the garlic oil in the bottom of the dish. Pour kugel mixture into baking dish and bake for 1 hr.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 4:05 am
delesammich wrote:
I like kugel made with instant mashed potatoes better than the real thing. I don't really have a recipe, I make the potatoes according to the box, then add a couple tablespoons of Smart Balance, a couple spoons of mayonnaise, a couple eggs, salt and pepper to taste, a teaspoon of baking powder, and 2 heaping teaspoons of garlic shallot crisp. To make crisp, peel and thinly slice 2 large shallots and 8 large cloves of garlic. Add garlic and shallots to a saucepan, add 1-1/2 c. neutral oil and fry on med hi heat for 15-20 minutes. Be careful not to burn, you want it lightly toasted. Cool garlic shallot crisp and pour crisp and oil into a jar. It should keep indefinitely.
Mix together potatoes, Smart Balance, mayo, eggs, salt, pepper, baking powder and garlic shallot crisp.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, place your baking dish in to heat up, then pour a couple tbsp of the garlic oil in the bottom of the dish. Pour kugel mixture into baking dish and bake for 1 hr.

Sounds more like a large potato knish

delesammich

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 10:43 am
amother Taupe wrote:
Sounds more like a large potato knish

I never made a knish so I wouldn't know. My daughter thinks potato kugel has a fishy taste so I've tried different types of potatoes and finally instant mashed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics