Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pushing Formula
1  2  Next

MMEC123

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 12:47 pm
I am not necessarily strongly against giving a baby formula but I am much more into nursing exclusively. My baby's doctor seems to push formula for everything. Most recently, I think my baby is ready for food- he started being hungry every 1 1/2-2 hours instead of every 3, he stopped sleeping through the night, the doctor feels he didn't gain enough weight in the last month (though I disagree) and he shows a strong interest in food- staring at me and DH while we eat and trying to grab food and drinks from us. The doctor says instead of starting food, I should give him formula to help with all these things. My baby is 5 months old so he is technically old enough for food. What would you do? I'm seriously considering switching doctors (or just feeding him and not listening to the doctor). I'm a new mommy, please advise.

Marion

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 12:55 pm
I'd start food, but just the really basic stuff. Does he take a bottle of expressed milk? You can add a bit of rice cereal to that to give it some more "oomph", rather than switch to formula.

If you think your baby is ready for food, try it. Rice cereal mixed as per the instructions is a good way to start. If your baby doesn't open up, he or she (you didn't say) is probably not ready to try.

cdawnr

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 12:56 pm
ok, I know that there are going to be totally opposite opinions, but often I will do what I think is best and nod and smile if it isnot something the dr totally agrees with, then do it as I want. This is only on minor issues (like starting solids after I know common wisdom says it is ok).

IF you start with solids, just start slowly....

However, if you find that your dr is constantly pushing formula or other things against your will (like lets say you aren't so into vaccinations and want to wait on some, as my friend who is a naturopath believes...) then you should definitely consider your options as far as switching drs to one who sees things more your way.

anon

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 12:57 pm
I would either switch doctors or not listen to him. My decision would be based on whether or not I fully trust the doctor in other areas. If it's just the formula issue, and you really like him otherwise, then ignore.

Unless there is a specific reason for not starting solids with your particular baby, I don't see why you shouldn't. I like my doctor, and he says that in general, you should start solids at 5 months. And your baby is showing all the signs of being ready!

anon

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 12:58 pm
btw, what's his reason for pushing the formula and not starting the solids?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 1:06 pm
I know what you mean. They pushed formula on me too. Finally I agreed to give complements only and I really felt better (less exhausted, less sick). So it was good for both and I plan to do this with my other children too, maybe I could even try half nurse half formula. I suppose I would have recovered more quickly if I had done it.

I have started solids at "normal" age according to my ped, 3 months, and encountered no problem. She is very motivated for solids, even grabbing stuff that aren't for her yet!

If you think you want to try the solids, do it. If it doesn't work, try a few weeks later.
If he is hungry, give him solids instead of formula supplements. Unless your doc wants you to totally switch to formula? I didn't get that.

tweety99

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 1:09 pm
ruchel u giv solids at 3 months?! goodness! over here in england they say not before 6 months! but if its really necessary then u can start at 4 months. but 3 months?!

MMEC123

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 1:11 pm
The doctor's reason is he tells everyone to start formula at 6 months. He didn't say to stop nursing, just also give formula. I just don't see why every baby is told the same thing if they are different...

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 1:21 pm
Tweety, I buy baby food for 3 months for her. It's written on them. I give fruit compotes and pureed veggies. Her favs are green beans and spinach, she doesn't take that from me! even less from dh for that matter..... Twisted Evil She takes them with a baby spoon or in a bottle mixed with her complements. She also has fruit juice bottles instead of water when it's hot outside.

We also gave her a few "un orthodox" things because she grabbed them and wanted them so much lol

I have read on parenting forums that some mothers start at 2, 2 and half months.

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 1:31 pm
I personally like the advice given by Dr. Sears...he says your doctor may be a very important person in terms of your child's healthcare, but he or she is not necessarily the best source of advice on two issues: what the baby should eat, and where the baby should sleep. Wink

The truth is, most MD's spend very little time studying infant nutrition.
They are most trained in the prevention and treatment of childhood diseases...

If you need the support of a doctor to make you feel like your parenting is ok, then I would suggest finding a more breastfeeding-friendly doctor.

But, if you are fine with doing your own research and making decisions that seem good to you, even if your doctor disagrees, then I see no reason to switch doctors...just don't tell him EVERYTHING!

Sometimes you really have to trust your own gut.

JRKmommy

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 1:39 pm
If you otherwise like the ped, just nod, then do your own research and make your own decisions.

You have access to the internet, so you are capable of looking up the AAP policy statements on infant feeding. The current recommendations are to start solids around 6 mos (used to be between 4-6 months), to bf at least for 1 yr if possible, and to use iron-fortified formula if bf is not possible.

There is absolutely no medical basis for a general rule of starting formula at 6 mos, even where a baby is still bf. I say this as a mother of 3 kiddies who were all bfed past one year, wife of a doctor, and long-time member of a breastfeeding/feeding choices board. Formula is basically a breastmilk substitute. It doesn't do anything magical that breastmilk can't. If there is a supply issue with the breastmilk, there are ways to deal with that - including nursing more often to increase supply. Supplementing with formula would reduce the amount of nursing, and could therefore decrease the supply of breastmilk.

If a child is showing a strong interest in solids, I don't think there is anything terrible about starting something simple and non-allergenic a few weeks early. Simple cereals, like rice, are a good first choice. Just introduce it gradually, because it can be a bit constipating. Next, simple strained veggies (no added starch or sugar) can be tried, one type at a time. The idea of doing things one by one is to identify if the baby has any type of reaction.

Oh, you will also find that babies at this stage will eat ANYTHING - food or not - so be prepared. They will put anything in their mouths - stickers, keys, dirt - so you've got to be on constant watch.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 3:32 pm
I think any doctor who has a standard protocol and doesn't advise on a case by case basis is not worth going to. This doctor seems to push formula, most likely because the formula companies give him goodies (one of their marketing stategies). No baby needs to start on formula "just because" at 6 months. That's ridiculous. The AAP suggests starting solids then for an EBF baby, but not formula. Does breastmilk turn bad? Does your supply disappear? It's ridiculous.
I would switch to a doctor you feel like you can trust advice from and not fight every step of the way.

Regarding starting solids, skip the rice cereal. It's constipating. You can start bananas or avocado if you really think your baby needs more food, or oatmeal if you want a grain.
Ruchel, I think your daughter reaching for things is a stage -- she likes to grab anything and everything, regardless if it's food. Especially since she started teething as you mentioned in another thread. My baby is not yet 6 months old, just cut his first tooth a few days ago, and for months has been stuffing everything he can in his mouth. Paper, tissues, my hand, my plate, the tablecloth....that doesn't mean he's interested in eating it! It means he's playing, and part of his playing is putting things he can get to in his mouth. And with teething on top of it, he has a need to bite, so food or nonfood both suffice for this. Don't rush your baby on foods, please. She's more likely to get allergies later on for foods her newborn stomach can't quite handle.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 5:04 pm
8 weeks old and on solids? shock
How do they feed the baby if he's supposed to be in a lying position most of the day?

JRKmommy

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 5:54 pm
GAMZu wrote:
8 weeks old and on solids? shock
How do they feed the baby if he's supposed to be in a lying position most of the day?

It's not advised by any mainstream pediatric organization today - but years ago, this was standard, according to my mom and MIL. The "solids" would obviously be pureed and a very thin consistency. The baby would be in an infant seat - supported, but not completely lying flat.

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 7:41 pm
Is France really that far behind the times? Confused
shock

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 7:52 pm
8 weeks is not advised. Some women do it anyway.
Here they don't sell baby food before 3 months, for example. I personally do not see the problem (at 3 months, not 2). It is much less dangerous than co sleeping or home birth imho, so to each their own.
The parents I talked to and mentioned the solids told me it was all good, not a problem, and they were all from different backgrounds... a black lady, a frum guy, my ped, my neighbour... so yeah.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 8:00 pm
I do think u should switch doctores. anyways, moms know best and if u feel ure child did gain enough weight, then he did. I wouldnt give my kid formula ever unless they were crying and starving and I didnt have any mild. my daugther didnt even have any solids till 8 months! I def think 5 month olds dont need it....

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 8:14 pm
MMEC...maybe your child is going through a growth spurt, that could account for his nursing so often.

I think recommending formula 'just because' at six months is so bizarre and unnecessary for most nursing babes. Confused

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 9:15 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I personally do not see the problem (at 3 months, not 2). It is much less dangerous than co sleeping or home birth imho, so to each their own.

Actually delayed solids was very important for my son since he has a severe allergy. I delayed solids in all my kids GASP til 9 months!!!! My daughter didn't really eat much food til 12 months BIG GASP. I also cosleep and IYH when I have another baby it will be a homebirth.

Am I endangering my kids by not feeding them thier pureed carrots at 4 months and thier rice cereal at 6 months?

Why do people want to start feeding solids to little babies when their brains need to be fed fat and protien which is not in pureed carrots and fruit. What do you think your child gains from those things.

To the OP- My personal opinion is to follow your gut. If it doesn't bother you, your current feeding sechule with your baby then continue what you are doing. You child is not a robot and usually won't feed on a set schedule. My opinion is that babies grow best when you follow thier lead. BM is optimal for your babies brain and body growth.

Marion

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 10:14 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Regarding starting solids, skip the rice cereal. It's constipating. You can start bananas or avocado if you really think your baby needs more food, or oatmeal if you want a grain.

1. Rice cereal is the easiest to digest, which is why it's so frequently recommended as a first food. It does NOT constipate all babies, certainly not in the minute quantities one would dilute it too at the very beginning.

2. Banana is just as constipating as rice. It is NOT one of the fruits that can help alleviate that problem!

3. Although most babies are fine with most grains, not all are. Rice cereal was the ONLY thing we could start DS on, due to family history (DH was celiac as a child), until we had him tested for the other grains. Wheat/oat/gluten intolerances are very, very difficult to see reactions to in infants.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics