Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Is there a market for a "normal" vegetarian cookbo

amother

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 4:04 pm
I am thinking of publishing a vegetarian cookbook.

The cookbooks I've seen in this genre are either superhealthy and don't have tasty recipes, or rely on trendy and expensive gourmet ingredients. My recipes are just normal, mostly milchige ones that don't rely on chemical flavorings but don't have ground up oat groats in every recipe either.

Do you think anyone would buy a cookbook like that? Should I target pregnant/nursing moms? Or focus on the kid-friendly angle? Or...?

TIA!

Very Happy

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 4:09 pm
you could try ......

BennysMommy

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 4:27 pm
I think the reason they have all those "gourmet" ingredients is because vegetarian diets lack protein and some important nutrients so vegetarians eat a lot of other "interesting" things.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 4:31 pm
Of course there's a market for something like that. I've seen several cookbooks like that.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 9:05 pm
Quote:
I think the reason they have all those "gourmet" ingredients is because vegetarian diets lack protein and some important nutrients so vegetarians eat a lot of other "interesting" things.

LOL I know gauchos don't know from complementary proteins, mixing amino acids, etc., but this is a total bubbe meise. LOL I think the gourmet food fixation has more to do with American materialism than the "inadequacy" of a vegetarian diet. Not sure though...I didn't have a steak for supper, so my reasoning may be a little inadequate....

Quote:
Of course there's a market for something like that. I've seen several cookbooks like that.

I've seen some too, but I haven't found the recipes to be reliable. Is that your experience? In large part I found them to be a little too low-fat leaning.

Mitzvahmom

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 9:10 pm
I would be interested!

It's so hard, because it's like out of the entire book only one or two are kid friendly.. We do not have time to do fancy cooking, healthy and fast..

amother

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 10:07 pm
I would be inerested, but milkchig you can get in lots of books. I would like good basic vegtable dishes especialy for Shabbos

amother

Post Fri, Jun 29 2007, 8:12 am
Quote:
I would be inerested, but milkchig you can get in lots of books. I would like good basic vegtable dishes especialy for Shabbos

Cooked side dishes, or more salady things?

Quote:
It's so hard, because it's like out of the entire book only one or two are kid friendly.. We do not have time to do fancy cooking, healthy and fast..

What will your kids eat? Just curious, I'm always interested to see what different kids go for. Mine go through definite phases. I find that my non-vegetable eaters don't mind when I chop veggies very small in the food processor and add them to recipes (I put processed zucchini and carrots in my whole wheat mac & cheese, they love it). I also find that they don't go for supposedly kid-friendly foods like burritos and tacos because they get annoyed when the burrito unrolls or the taco shell breaks...do you find that too? I would recommend getting Nava Atlas's kids' cookbook from the library--although it is too lowfat for my taste, it's still pretty good.

Tila

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 7:55 pm
I have horn of the moon, which I have tried COUNTLESS recipes and use over and over again. I love the moosewood series too.

daisy

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 8:15 pm
I agree with "amother". I'd like to see pareve vegetarian, not milchigs.

Mommish

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 12:22 am
daisy wrote:
I agree with "amother". I'd like to see pareve vegetarian, not milchigs.

Levana recently came out with a nice pareve cookbook.Actually it might also have some meat dishes. I think the point was to be dairy-free.

yummydd

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 8:58 am
I would love such a book!
Great Idea!
Sometimes we need a change of menu no fish or fleishig!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics