Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Amex return protection & purchase protection
Previous  1  2

imokay

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:15 pm
(I was curious so I looked up the fine print and number 19 on items excluded from the return protection plan is formal wear.
So your items may not even be covered.)

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 11:06 pm
meme6 wrote:
I was in a Jewish store and someone wanted to pay with Amex and she asked if she had a different card lady asked why. She said a story as follows someone came from out of town purchased $400 of items fast forward a week it was over yom tov store was closed and when the store was reopened ahr started going through emails and Amex took out $400 fromnher account for a purchase cause she didn’t respond to an email within 12-24 hours the person from out of town decided she wanted to return a dress after returns were allowed and she got back her whole money for the whole purchase while the vendor lost it all. It was actually quite bogus the customers story

K not like I'm doubting your story, but when I filed a return claim with Amex I had to provide a copy of the receipt, a line by line description of each item I tried to return with the reason why, and a record of when I tried to contact the seller and whether they answered. How this person could have achieved that over yom tov when presumably she was also observing yom tov, and got her entire purchase refunded when she just wanted to return a dress, I dunno but something is weird. It took me at least a week or two to hear back from them that they reviewed my claim and sent the refund.

I do feel bad for small business owners trying to compete in today's customer service climate. In many ways small businesses can provide better service, such as forming relationships with customers and giving good buying advice, but when you come up against things like Amazon Prime that have conditioned people to fast shipping, free shipping, free returns, barely any limits - it's just not reasonable.

questioner

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 2:54 pm
I've used return protection many times and only rarely had to provide documentation. Often I just get a refund the next day.

questioner

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 2:55 pm
And my understanding was always that amex is taking the hit, not the merchant. If I am wrong, I'd really like to know.

Chew21

Post Sat, Apr 06 2019, 10:48 pm
Bump. I'd like to return a dress from a Jewish store never worn but the return policies are crazy. I am tempted to do an amex return but dont want it to affect the store in any way

cnc

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 12:14 am
Amex takes the hit.
I spoke to them

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 1:16 am
cnc wrote:
Amex takes the hit.
I spoke to them

This doesn't make sense.

1. The company wouldn't take all the losses. It's not logical. Maybe they take minimum losses because it's not worth their time .

2. I know someone who was involved in a conflict with a merchant over Amex canceling a sale. Admittedly, the item was for a lot of money. The merchant keep supplying documentation. The person had to keep answering. If Amex was taking the hit, the merchant had no reason to keep fighting.

cnc

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 6:53 am
Squishy wrote:
This doesn't make sense.

1. The company wouldn't take all the losses. It's not logical. Maybe they take minimum losses because it's not worth their time .

2. I know someone who was involved in a conflict with a merchant over Amex canceling a sale. Admittedly, the item was for a lot of money. The merchant keep supplying documentation. The person had to keep answering. If Amex was taking the hit, the merchant had no reason to keep fighting.

No idea - just repeating what I was told.
(There is a cap. $300 per item and up to $1000 a year.)

nchr

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 8:23 am
Amex sends the item back to the store. My chase sapphire reserve card used to do this, but now they wont honor any claims- even ones their employees instructed me to make..

gande

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 9:46 am
I think amex has an insurance they go through for this. The store doesnt suffer unless you dispute the charge. You have to select the right reason for return. Use return protection_ they will ask you for a receipt. There is also purchase protection_if the item was lost stolen or damaged and for that they automaticly credit you.

doctorima

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 9:46 am
In my experience, AMEX has never required me to return the item to them, so I don't believe the underlying model is for them to return it to the store. I would assume that AMEX takes the hit, not the store, but have never confirmed it.

cnc

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 10:25 am
doctorima wrote:
In my experience, AMEX has never required me to return the item to them, so I don't believe the underlying model is for them to return it to the store. I would assume that AMEX takes the hit, not the store, but have never confirmed it.

This.
I was never asked to return the item although I am always prepared to in case they ask for it.

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 10:28 am
cnc wrote:
No idea - just repeating what I was told.
(There is a cap. $300 per item and up to $1000 a year.)

This was a $75,000 item. The vendor was fighting hard. The charge was eventually reversed.

We have had lots of charges reversed. One was for a few thousand l last fall. I don't think Amex could continue this policy and absorb the hit when they have no control of the quality of the merchandise or service. What incentive does the vendor have to improve?

cnc

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 10:32 am
Squishy wrote:
This was a $75,000 item. The vendor was fighting hard. The charge was eventually reversed.

We have had lots of charges reversed. One was for a few thousand l last fall. I don't think Amex could continue this policy and absorb the hit when they have no control of the quality of the merchandise or service. What incentive does the vendor have to improve?

I am specifically discussing the return protection program which as I said has a cap of $300 per item.
The scenarios you are describing don't fall under that program (reversing charges, canceling orders etc...)
This program is if you purchase an item and the store doesn't accept returns within 90 days. The program allows you to "return the item " to Amex, when you provide proof of purchase and proof that the store won't accept the return. IME, Amex usually doesn't ask me to return the item though.

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 10:38 am
cnc wrote:
I am specifically discussing the return protection program which as I said has a cap of $300 per item.
The scenarios you are describing don't fall under that program (reversing charges, canceling orders etc...)
This program is if you purchase an item and the store doesn't accept returns within 90 days. The program allows you to "return the item " to Amex, when you provide proof of purchase and proof that the store won't accept the return. IME, Amex usually doesn't ask me to return the item though.

That's interesting. My card doesn't have the same limits. And neither did the other card.

Sunshineforever

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 10:54 am
Well no Sheitel machers take back a wig if it's faulty. Can I claim a refund from Amex?

Sebastian

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 10:56 am
there's a cap of $300 per item. And most sheitel machers back their wigs for the first year.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics