Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do u pack your kids lunch or get hot lunch?

MrsMarmite

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 9:54 pm
My kids school used to offer hot lunches but don't any more (not sure why.) Trying to figure out what to send every day for kids lunches -want it to be healthy but more importantly I want my kids to eat it (which they wont do if its too healthy)! Their likes and dislikes seem to change every day. Any tips?

cfriedman2

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 11:46 pm
I have a 3 year old and I send a main (cottage cheese with fruit/yogurt/sandwich- cheese/cream cheese/ jelly, noodles, fish sticks, veggie patties) and then a fruit cup, apple sauce, and veggie, cheese stick, and a bag of healthy carbs.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 12:02 am
Figure out what your kids like and what can be made in advance.
You can freeze some sandwiches for up to a week and they will taste fresh (like tuna and cold cuts). Best part is the sandwich stays fresh out of the fridge and will be defrosted in time for lunch.
Pasta can be cooked at beginning of week and sealed in little containers to stay in fridge 4-5 days. You can measure out little containers of cottage cheese to send along with that (separate containers so they stay fresh).
Same with cut up vegetables and fruits. If you keep each type separate they stay fresh 3-4 days.
Muffins can be frozen.
Cheese pancakes can be made in advance and eaten cold.
Certain dinner leftovers taste great cold like grilled chicken strips with rice salad or meatloaf with potato salad. You can make one dinner a week with the intention or sending leftovers the next day.

Basically, choose 4 types of food and send one each day of the week Smile

Iymnok

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 4:19 am
Sandwich, fruit/veggie, carb.

doublemama

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 8:15 am
Thermoses are great if you want to send something hot. I do this for my kids with great results! It really opens options up!

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 8:37 am
Iymnok wrote:
Sandwich, fruit/veggie, carb.

isn't the bread from the sandwich a carb? what kind of carb do you send with the sandwich, out of curiosity? I'm always looking for different carbs, my kids get bored of certain things.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 9:09 am
My kids have hot lunch bh but I either took leftovers or pasta salad or pasta and steak/chicken thigh or pasta in tomato sauce or potato salad (it's all good room temp).

SorGold

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 9:34 am
Kids get supper leftovers
Salmon patties
Veggie burgers
Hard boiled eggs
Hamburgers
Yogurt

musicmom

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 1:56 pm
I like the bento boxes that fit inside a lunchbox, saving all kinds of plastic bags. I like the ones from Pottery Barn Kids, which do go on sale end of season. I pack sandwich on the bottom, and on the top I pack nuts, peeled and cut carrots and pretzels. For snack yogurt and a fruit. This has been working out to less mess! I also buy reusable little animal forks to keep the sandwiches together in the bento boxes.

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 2:29 pm
We are boring. DS likes a cream cheese wrap and cut veggies. The school gives a snack. He comes home at 2 so if hes hungry he can have what he wants from the fridge.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics