Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Stove Top Chicken

israelgirl

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 10:19 am
My oven broke today (great timing I know)
Basically I need a bunch of recipes for chicken I can make over the stove top?
Any ideas?

TIA!

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 10:45 am
There are loads of recipes for chicken on the stove depending on the parts used. Obviously a whole chicken can't be done although I have made a whole,chicken in the crockpot.

israelgirl

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 10:51 am
I need for chicken bottoms

JenniferK

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 11:19 am
I place onions, celery and carrot (depending if I have on hand) on the bottom of a pan, I sprinkle salt, garlic powder & paprika and place the chicken bottoms skin side down. Cook it on a low flame in its own juice. You can add potatoes at the end for a 1 pot dinner.

Another thing I make is Broiled bottoms. I slather the bottoms with oil and spices. My family likes it spicy. I put it skin side down without anything else and broil it on a low flame.

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:32 pm
I think by chicken bottoms, you mean the large piece of chicken which has both the thigh and the drumstick? If so, I would separate into two smaller pieces (thigh and drumstick) because such a large piece might not cook well on top of the stove.

Here's a recipe for thighs but just use the separated thighs and drumsticks. If you don't remove the skin, the dish is too greasy IMO.

Oops - sorry I didn't realize this went in the oven - I saw braised and assumed on the stove. However, in my experience, chicken/stew that has a lot of liquid can be successfully cooked stove top in a heavy pot with a good cover if you keep the temperature low so that it is simmering and not boiling the poor bird. Very Happy

Braised Chicken and Parsnips

serve this over brown rice, but bread would also be great for soaking up the sauce.

Source: Editors of Martha Stewart Living. “One Pot: 120+ Easy Meals from Your Skillet, Slow Cooker, Stockpot, and More.

SERVES 4

8 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 leeks (white and light-green parts only), thinly sliced and rinsed well
½ cup apple cider vinegar
1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
10 fresh sage leaves
1¾ cups low-sodium chicken broth

Preheat oven to 350°F. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a medium Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high. Working in batches, add chicken skin-side down and cook until browned, 8 to 10 minutes; transfer to a plate.

Reduce heat to medium. Add leeks and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add vinegar and scrape up brown bits with a wooden spoon. Add parsnips, sage, broth, and chicken (with its juices), and bring to a boil.

Cover and transfer to oven. Cook until parsnips are very tender and chicken is cooked through, about 50 minutes.

WASHING LEEKS

Leeks can have lots of dirt between their layers. To clean sliced rounds, place them in a bowl of cool water for a few minutes, swishing them around occasionally. Then lift them out of the water, leaving any dirt behind. Repeat as necessary until water is clean.”

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:33 pm
This is one of my favorites - same advice as above to separate the thigh and drumsticks and remove the skin.

Smothered Barley with Chicken
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Cooking Light
Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon dried mint flakes
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
6 (4-ounce) chicken thighs, skinned
1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
3 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
1 1/4 cups uncooked pearl barley
1 can (14.5-ounce) diced tomatoes, drained
6 tablespoons chopped green onions

Directions:

Combine the first 7 ingredients in a small bowl, and rub chicken with
half of spice mixture.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over
medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 1 minute on each side or until
chicken is browned. Remove the chicken from the skillet.

Recoat skillet with cooking spray; add chopped onion, bell pepper, and
soy sauce. Cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until vegetables are
lightly browned. Add broth, barley, tomatoes, and remaining spice
mixture, and stir well. Add chicken to skillet, nestling into vegetable
mixture. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 55 minutes or
until chicken is done. Let stand 15 minutes. Sprinkle with green
onions.

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:34 pm
Same advice - separate thighs and drumsticks and remove the skin for a dish that is less greasy.

Braised Herb Chicken Thighs with Potatoes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
8 chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), skinned
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups (2-inch-thick) slices carrot
1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered

Directions:

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken; seal bag, shaking to coat.

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken and remaining flour mixture to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly brown. Add carrot and onion; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add broth, wine, and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until chicken is done and vegetables are tender.

Notes:

Choose red skin potatoes that are similar in size so they'll be done at the same time.

Nutritional Information:

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 467(29% from fat); FAT 14.9g(sat 3.9g,mono 5.9g,poly 3.4g); PROTEIN 37.2g; CHOLESTEROL 115mg; CALCIUM 71mg; SODIUM 887mg; FIBER 5.7g; IRON 4.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 40g

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:34 pm
Same advice - separate thighs and drumsticks and discard the skin.

Herbed Chicken Thighs with Cider Cabbage

Ingredients:

3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon ground thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
8 chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), skinned
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cups apple cider
8 cups sliced red cabbage
1 cup thinly sliced red onion, separated into rings
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar

Directions:

Combine first 5 ingredients, and rub oregano mixture over chicken. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken thighs, and cook 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm. Add cider to skillet, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil; cook until reduced to 1 cup (about 3 minutes). Remove 1/2 cup reduced cider from skillet; set aside.

Add cabbage and remaining ingredients to skillet; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook 5 minutes or until cabbage wilts. Return chicken thighs to skillet, nestling them into cabbage mixture; add reserved 1/2 cup reduced cider. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 30 minutes or until chicken is done.

Nutritional Information:

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 chicken thighs and 1 1/2 cups cabbage mixture)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 296 (22% from fat); FAT 7.1g (sat 1.6g, mono 2.6g, poly 1.7g); PROTEIN 29.2g; CARB 29.6g; FIBER 3.8g; CHOL 113mg; IRON 3.3mg; SODIUM 430mg; CALC 115mg;

November

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:50 pm
These look delicious!

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:54 pm
I found another one for the top of the stove. Again, separate the thigh and drumstick and take skin off so it's less greasy.

This is from the cookbook the Manhattan JCC released a month or so ago and it has some very interesting recipes.

Chicken Bouillabaisse

Source: Judy Bernstein Bunzl. “The Community Table: Recipes and Stories from the Jewish Community Center in Manhattan and Beyond

We’ve adapted this from Jacques Pépin’s chicken bouillabaisse in Fast Food My Way. Chef Pépin is a longtime friend of JCC Manhattan, serving as a judge in April 2011 for the Annual Man-O-Manischewitz Cookoff. Bouillabaisse is a hearty stew, and this version proves you don’t need shellfish to make it. We serve it with a dollop of rouille, a delicious garlic-heavy Provençal condiment. You can also add sweet or spicy peppers to it to get more punch, and spread the rouille on crusty baguette slices you then float in each serving. Or serve the stew with Two-Grain Saffron Couscous (here) and pass the rouille alongside.

SERVES 4

½ cup coarsely chopped onion (from 1 small onion)
¼ cup coarsely chopped celery
¼ cup coarsely chopped carrot
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
½ teaspoon saffron threads
¼ teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
¼ teaspoon herbes de Provence
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper”
“4 skinless chicken leg and thigh pieces (about 2 pounds), any fat removed
1 cup canned diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock
½ cup dry white wine
2 teaspoons Pernod or Ricard (optional)
5 small Yukon Gold potatoes (about ¾ pound), peeled and halved
8 ounces chicken-apple sausage, cut into 4 equal pieces
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon, chives, or parsley, or a combination, for garnish”

Rouille

1 large garlic clove, roughly chopped
¼ teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika
⅛ teaspoon cayenne
1 large egg yolk (optional)
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Dash of kosher salt, if needed
Lemon juice (optional)

In a large bowl, combine the onion, celery, carrot, oil, garlic, zest, saffron, fennel seeds, herbes de Provence, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken and mix to coat the chicken well. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to proceed. (This can be done up to a half-day ahead.)

Transfer the contents of the bowl to a medium heavy enamel or stainless steel pot and add the tomatoes, stock, wine, Pernod, if using, and potatoes. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for 25 minutes, checking twice to ensure all the chicken is submerged. Add the sausage and simmer until the sausage is cooked through and the chicken and vegetables are fork-tender, about 5 minutes.

To make the rouille, combine half a potato from the soup, ¼ cup liquid and vegetables from the soup, the garlic, paprika, and cayenne in a food processor and process for 10 seconds. Add the “seasoning with the salt and lemon juice if necessary.

Transfer the bouillabaisse to warm soup plates. Top each with a spoonful of the rouille, sprinkle with the fresh herbs, and serve.”

wiki

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 7:49 pm
Shabbat in a Pot
This is a great one-dish entree for Friday night dinner! The rice especially comes out amazing!

1 chicken, cut into pieces
1 cup rice, pref. brown
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion, diced
3 pieces garlic, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 zucchini, diced
salt
pepper
2 cups water
1/4 cup tomato sauce
3 tablespoons soy sauce

In a large frying pan, saute the onion, garlic, carrot, and zucchini for around ten minutes. Pour the rice in evenly on top, and then place the chicken on top of that, with the larger pieces immediately on top of the flame. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste on top of the chicken pieces. Pour the tomato sauce and soy sauce over everything, followed by at least two cups of water--enough to reach near the tops of the chicken pieces. Raise the flame and bring to a boil, then cover loosely with foil and simmer for 1 hour 15 minutes, turning over the chicken a few times in the middle and checking to ensure that the rice doesn't burn (which it never does for me, but you still have to check).

wiki

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 7:50 pm
Miriam Pascal's Mushroom chicken recipe is also really great:
http://overtimecook.com/2013/0.....auce/

wiki

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 7:54 pm
Here's a fancier recipe, which comes from the "Jerusalem" Cookbook, although I have never made it before:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07......html

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 10:45 pm
I have a yummy, really easy recipe. Put the chicken pieces - 3 or 4 bottoms - flat in a large frying pan. Throw on a few slices of garlic or sprinkle with garlic powder. Pour a small can of tomato sauce, make sure to cover each piece of chicken as much as possible. Cover, cook over a low flame for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Pour the sauce over rice. It's one of the favorite suppers around here.

sped

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 11:31 pm
I don't have a fleishig oven. Here is our favorite (and simplest) recipe:
Place chicken bottoms flat in a frying pan. (I have a Farberware regular - not non-stick). Sprinkle on soem pepper and lots of paprika. Cook on a low flame. Towards the end, turn the pieces over for a few minutes, and then back, so the whole thing gets the juices. Be sure it doesn't burn!
Yummy!!!
Also good cold and leftovers in chicken salad.

mmyy

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 11:09 am
Here is a sweet version for chicken on stove if you want sweet chicken for rodh hashanah

3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup ketsup
2 cups water

Boil all the ingredients add 4 chicken bottoms and cook for 2 hours on a midum- low flame keep on turning the chicken so all sides get the flavors

Enjoy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey