Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Parenting siblings

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 11:39 am
my mother is unable to parent my little siblings. Ive been having my two sisters ages 8 and 10 over at my house a lot after school. My own children are still young. I have no clue how to parent kids this age. How much do I control what they eat? Can they take a snack or cookie on their own? Before dinner? After dinner? Do I make them do homework? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

happybeingamom

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 1:45 pm
Different people have different approaches to homework. Some like the kids to do it right away others like the kids to have a break before they start homework.

Those ages they should be able to take snack themselves.

If you want them to eat supper properly they should not take a snack right before supper. Most kids do like to snack when they come home from school.

Miri7

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 3:07 pm
What works for my kids that age is : snack right after school. Then homework.

We have certain snacks that they know are ok and can fix for themselvels: fruit, veggies, crackers and humous. Milk or water to drink.

They have to ask permission for any sweet treats.

After snack cleanup is homework time. Then free time until dinner. We don't allow snacks just before or after dinner. If dinner is really early for some reason, then I will ask before bedtime if anyone needs a little bite to eat. I don't allow snacking once we have started bedtime.

In my opinion, it's best to set class boundaries and a schedule for kids this age - taking into account that they do need downtime, playtime, exercise and need to eat more frequently than adults.

tweety1

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 3:19 pm
I like when my kids do hmwk as soon as they come home. Done and overwith theory! Sometimes (usually) if supper is ready when they come home they eat first. I let them have a snack after supper. Only fruits, vegetables or crackers. I don't let them eat till bedtime. Eating must be done by 630 latest 7. They go to sleep 8-830. Drinking I do let. Juice I limit to once or twice a day mixed with water

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 3:26 pm
Just want to offer you chizuk for the position you are in. It's not easy when we have to step up to the plate before our time, so to speak. You are doing something very special. May Hashem reward you for all this with abundant Bracha in your life.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 3:56 pm
Thank you so much all of you. I'm still kind of insecure in my position and I hope I can step up and give them the structure they crave.

5mom

Post Sat, Sep 12 2015, 4:15 pm
You sound like an amazing sister. I'm so impressed with you.

In my experience, the exact order of snack, homework etc is less important than consistency. Most kids appreciate structure and predictability. So do whatever works best. If your little ones need supper at 5, serve the meal, then have the big kids do homework, then playtime and snacks.

Good luck, and shana Tova.

Stars

Post Sat, Sep 12 2015, 9:12 pm
Wow. Kol hakovod.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Sep 13 2015, 6:22 am
They are your sisters, not your children. Try to give them extra love and leeway. They seem so big since they are so much older than your kids, but they are still little. on the other hand, they are almost teenagers, so you will have to balance between treating them as adults and mothering them.
Don't be strict with them if you can help it. They need more love and acceptance now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics