Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
No meat during the 3weeks, or is it only for the 9days?
1  2  Next

Cinderella

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 1:10 pm
Thanks, I forgot already embarrassed

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 1:11 pm
9 days only ... not including shabbos ... or a seudas mitzva

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 1:11 pm
Just during the 9 days. And it's allowed on Shabbos!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 1:12 pm
I was surprised that ppl didn't know you could have meat on shabbos during the 9 days . . wonder if they bathed.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 1:15 pm
Some people have a minhag not to eat meat the whole three weeks, but the majority of Ashkenazim don't eat meat/ drink wine+grape juice from Rosh Chodesh. Sephardim have other minhagim.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 1:17 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I was surprised that ppl didn't know you could have meat on shabbos during the 9 days . . wonder if they bathed.

you know people don't bath during the 9 days ...

Cinderella

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 1:36 pm
OK, thats what I thought that it was just during the nine days (for most people). But, I did know that you CAN eat meat on Shabos Smile

Bathing is just for necassity during the nine days, I think.

Thanks everyone!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 2:59 pm
greenfire wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

Or lekovid shabbos.

jewgal84

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 3:21 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
greenfire wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

Or lekovid shabbos.

How about a quick shower? I've learned you were allowed to shower, especially in this hot yucky mucky weather of NY..

PS... Is it deja vu, or did we have a similar thread last yr around this time Wink !!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 3:23 pm
we prob. did. but I didn't say anything aboaut the cold cuts in shul and the women who expressed surprise they were being served . . .

TammyTammy

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 3:41 pm
jewgal84 wrote:

How about a quick shower? I've learned you were allowed to shower, especially in this hot yucky mucky weather of NY..

Keep in mind that when these halachos were formulated, the norm for people was to bathe once a week (or even less frequently than that). As such, refraining from showering for a week wasn't such a big deal; as a bath was seen as more of a comfort than a necessity.

Nowadays, however, our tolerance to not bathing is a lot less, as people are now accustomed to bathing more often. As such, there are grounds for people to permit showering (especially if it's just a quick, cold shower to get rid of the sweat and smell).

As always, ask your LOR.

Tammy

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Jul 03 2007, 10:59 am
What the heck am I supposed to eat during the 9 days. I can't eat dairy, soy (no tofu), eggs and wheat. All I eat is chicken and meat. I think I will have to get a heter to eat meat...

Seraph

Post Tue, Jul 03 2007, 11:06 am
Lentils. Beans.

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Jul 03 2007, 11:08 am
Can you have fish?

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jul 03 2007, 11:08 am
only1 wrote:
What the heck am I supposed to eat during the 9 days. I can't eat dairy, soy (no tofu), eggs and wheat. All I eat is chicken and meat. I think I will have to get a heter to eat meat...

Only, if you are nursing you should ask for a heter for chicken. There is a heter for it, at least until the 7th of Av. Ask your LOR.

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Jul 03 2007, 11:16 am
Allergic to fish.
Thanks I will definitely ask to be able to eat chicken. I don't think my baby will get proper nutrients if all I eat is lentils and beans, I wouldn't care for myself as much as her health.
I told my husband he will have to make a siyum every night Very Happy , but somehow I don't think thats going to happen as he is in the middle of exams for the CA (known to americans as CPA)

Seraph

Post Tue, Jul 03 2007, 11:28 am
Lentils and beans have just as much protein as fish. White beans (I guess possibly great northern beans) actually have more protein per amt than tuna fish.

But its the mentality.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 03 2007, 11:45 am
For sure you can get proper nutrition from lentils and beans. Especially for only 9 days (2 of which, friday and shabbos you can eat meat)

You may get bored of it though. (You may also get sick of chicken!)

CAYA

Post Tue, Jul 03 2007, 11:58 am
I had a freind in camp that even lkovod shabbos her father didnt let her shower....I guess some ppl really really feel for the chorbin

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jul 03 2007, 11:59 am
There are so many things you can make with either lentils or beans or a combo.

You can make tacos, burritos, chili, soups, sandwiches, casseroles, etc.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note