Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
My sister's boss told her to clock out when she's not busy
1  2  Next

TammyTammy

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 5:53 pm
My little sister works in a secretary in an office. Her main job is to answer the phones. Occasionally she may have to do other chores, but those are far and few between.

She's always been relatively happy there. The people are nice, she says, although the pay could be better. But for a secretarial job, it's OK.

Now, her boss (actually the boss's wife, but she's a boss too) came over to her and told her that when the phones aren't ringing, she should clock out (but be available to clock in when the phone rings), since if she's taking money and not doing any work, it's like stealing from the company.

I told her that she's gotta get out of there as soon as possible -- that's just nuts! Stealing from the company??!! What a thing to say to her!!

Tammy

creativemommyto3

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 5:57 pm
I hope they are that makpid when she works overtime! how cheap can you get. it's not her problem that the phones aren't ringing, it's theirs.let's say the phone doesn't ring for two hours, does that mean that she can go home , doubt it. I think that your sister should ask for advice on what to do.

shoy18

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 5:58 pm
if thats what she said then yes its time to go.

why is it her problem if the phones aren't ringing, every time the ringing stops for more than a minute she should clock out and sit there not getting paid? thats insane!!!!!

faigie

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 5:58 pm
your sister has to tell the BOSS that the company is paying for her time.
it is genayva for them to have her SIT AROUND and wait to be at their beck and call without paying her
what nerve.

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 6:00 pm
reminds me of my when I asked for a raise story..

And my boss gave me a roll of quarters and said here..

TammyTammy

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 6:04 pm
arita430 wrote:
I hope they are that makpid when she works overtime!

Well, at that rate, I don't think she'll ever work 40 hours in a week.

Quote:

how cheap can you get. it's not her problem that the phones aren't ringing, it's theirs.let's say the phone doesn't ring for two hours, does that mean that she can go home , doubt it. I think that your sister should ask for advice on what to do.

I gave her my two cents. Smile

Tammy

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 6:04 pm
now that's a bit extreme ... she should definately find a new job ... taking advantage like that is wrong and they should be told this ...

TammyTammy

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 6:05 pm
To be honest my outrage is less at the fact that they want her to sit around unpaid (that's bad enough), but more at the fact that they dared to hint to her that because she wasn't answering the phones that she was a thief.

Tammy

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 6:12 pm
tammy tammy - it is an outrage for both instances ... cause what should she do while off the clock and stuck to them ... and then they insinuate she is stealing ... assuming she is young she may believe them and feel they are justified and that is just taking advantage and making them the theives ... wasting her time ... give me the # I'll give them a piece of your mind

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 6:29 pm
That IS terrible !!!!!!

mali

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 6:52 pm
I don't think she has to quit. she simply has to explain that she's not getting paid for the actual talking on the phone, but for being responsible for the calls. sometimes it means being overwhelmed by a bunch of incoming calls, and sometimes it means babysitting the phone. either way, she's at work and they have to pay. it sounds as if they're testing to see just how far they can go, and if she's assertive enough, they'll get off her back.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 6:54 pm
Tammy she should answer her that since she is clocking out she is going home too and they should call her back when the phone starts to ring. Twisted Evil

seriously, please tell me she didn't give in to such nonsense..

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 6:57 pm
If she clocks out, she is free to leave.

TammyTammy

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 7:03 pm
EstiS wrote:

seriously, please tell me she didn't give in to such nonsense..

She didn't give in, but she didn't quit either. She was more upset about being called a thief than anything else. She was told this as she was headed out the door for the day, so she didn't have to "clock out" today.

I told her that if her bosses think she's a thief then she should quit because one doesn't hire people who "steal" from them. I told her to go in tomorrow, speak to her boss (not the wife) and clarify the situation. If the wife's word holds, then she should give a nice big "I QUIT" and head out the door. Let them take advantage of someone else.

Tammy

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 7:22 pm
keep us posted.

faigie

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 7:30 pm
just thinking...
this boss lady is such dope. how long does she expect to sit over your sister to decide that the phone isnt going to ring
hmmmmmmm should she wait for a lull of 15 minutes? a half hour?
there is NO WAY that this is going to work.
if the boss lady says something, tell her to pick up the phone and ask the rav his opinion.
that should put an end to this nonsense.

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 7:38 pm
Mad
They are totally taking advantage of her youth!!
Can you imagine the scenario if the boss's wife tried to give that line to a more experienced employee, who was, say, middle aged?
It would never happen.

How nuts!!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 7:39 pm
they should cut her hours, then. are they paying her per call?

peach

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 7:47 pm
This is so absurd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She is not just being paid to speak on the phone; she is being paid to be there in case the phone rings. Even while the phone is not ringing, she is doing her job by sitting there and being available. If she is officially not working in those in-between times, she should be able to go home, shopping, whatever she wants.

And, when she was hired, she presumably was told her job requirements and they probably were not stated as "The job is to answer phone calls, so in between phone calls we do not need you and you are not on work time then".

If they want, let them give her other jobs to do in between.

Also, I'm sure she feels very unappreciated and even if they dont insist on this, she still may not want to stay.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 7:54 pm
just to be dan lekaf zchus for a minute, although I agree as stated above that the woman was 100% wrong...but maybe the bosses are under financial stress and their business is taking a strong dive and so she made the comment thoughtlessly out of stress and under preassure.

What
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics