Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Do you know your stop button?
1  2  Next

Bitachon101

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 8:25 pm
With discussion about gluttonous eating and food food food etc on yom tov I was wondering today, do people really know when to stop eating?

I'm not talking about dieters, I respect all of them.
But the rest of us... Do we know when to push stop?
I often feel yuck and stuffed after shabbos and yom tov seudos and recently decided to just press stop when I've eaten enough (and a little more) regardless of how awesome the food is and how much there is.
But doing this I noticed that everyone around me keeps on pounding the food.
When ur done eating and just see everyone shoving so much food course after course it makes u even more so wonder if they know how to hit the stop button.
Even my mom who isn't a huge eater on daily basis, I was surprised how she just kept eating and eating (OK hands down the food was delicious) but I didn't want to make her aware and stop her cuz I felt like it wasn't my place but it grossed me out.
Even from a health perspective, its a poisonous habit yet I see it in so many homes and it just amazes me.
I should keep my eyes on my own plate. But I feel like there is not enough awareness.
My husband was gaining weight and said to me I'm not sure why I'm gaining I'm really not eating so much and I was shocked that he felt that way cuz I've been watching him eat and eat and eat holding my mouth from being the nagging wife. I replied to him that he has been eating ALOT at meals and just not paying attention to how much he's eating.
"Really???" Was his response.

Don't you feel awful and horrible after you eat so much? I get tired and feel gross let alone get stuck constipated after eating like that yet it seems that most ppl don't even make that connection in their brain.

So do YOU know your stop button?
Do you ever use it?

justcallmeima

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 8:41 pm
Bitachon101 wrote:
With discussion about gluttonous eating and food food food etc on yom tov I was wondering today, do people really know when to stop eating?

I'm not talking about dieters, I respect all of them.
But the rest of us... Do we know when to push stop?
I often feel yuck and stuffed after shabbos and yom tov seudos and recently decided to just press stop when I've eaten enough (and a little more) regardless of how awesome the food is and how much there is.
But doing this I noticed that everyone around me keeps on pounding the food.
When ur done eating and just see everyone shoving so much food course after course it makes u even more so wonder if they know how to hit the stop button.
Even my mom who isn't a huge eater on daily basis, I was surprised how she just kept eating and eating (OK hands down the food was delicious) but I didn't want to make her aware and stop her cuz I felt like it wasn't my place but it grossed me out.
Even from a health perspective, its a poisonous habit yet I see it in so many homes and it just amazes me.
I should keep my eyes on my own plate. But I feel like there is not enough awareness.
My husband was gaining weight and said to me I'm not sure why I'm gaining I'm really not eating so much and I was shocked that he felt that way cuz I've been watching him eat and eat and eat holding my mouth from being the nagging wife. I replied to him that he has been eating ALOT at meals and just not paying attention to how much he's eating.
"Really???" Was his response.

Don't you feel awful and horrible after you eat so much? I get tired and feel gross let alone get stuck constipated after eating like that yet it seems that most ppl don't even make that connection in their brain.

So do YOU know your stop button?
Do you ever use it?

This.

LittleDucky

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 8:43 pm
I definitely know it but do sometimes (very rarely as I hate feeling sick) go beyond that a drop- I am human and have ahard time passing on dessert if it looks good. I also have noticed that many overeat. And when you overeat, your stomach can stretch, making you need to fill a bigger area and eat more. Plus your brain stops registering the full feeling. It's a vicious cycle... I am not a dieter but have been around enough of them to learn from them.
I try not to over cook and do the 3 mains, 2 apps, 8 sides... That other hosts do. 1 main, 2-3 sides (maybe an extra salad if the guests are big salad eaters but usually that is part of the sides), a app , and 1 dessert (if it's a big crowd I might do a drop more or if there are allergy/dietary needs I might make something else.) but the pressure to have so much. It's wasteful, expensive, gluttonous, drives me insane before chag and I just don't see the need!!

trixx

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 8:44 pm
As frum people we eat so much it's honestly ridiculous. When we have irreligious guests for Friday night dinner they fill their plates with first course and are shocked when soup comes out, then chicken and sides, then dessert... they thought dinner was the challah, fish and multiple salads and dips. If you think about it, when you eat out, all you order is ONE dish and some sides. At any given frum meal, we serve triple that amount...

Simple1

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 8:45 pm
I guess that's one benefit of not having had so much time to make elaborate meals. We had enough food but I don't feel that we overate.

zaq

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 8:52 pm
My parents and grandparents had no such problems...they didn't have the means. Be glad you do.

mha3484

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 8:58 pm
No over eating here. I make fish/soup/ protein starch veggie and dessert. That's all. No one is hungry but no one over eats either.

belovedaz

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 9:31 pm
mha3484 wrote:
No over eating here. I make fish/soup/ protein starch veggie and dessert. That's all. No one is hungry but no one over eats either.

I do this too but I find myself full after one nice slice of challah and fish/dips. I almost always skip the main course no matter how good it looks and how hard it was to make but the rest of the gang eats it all and frankly I x know where they put it! I'm feeling bloated and fat with my cutbacks at the meal and somehow I guess they can handle it better than me cuz none else seems to even blink when the dessert comes out.

zaq

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 10:01 pm
It's not what you eat between Rosh Hashana and Simchas Torah that does anyone in; it's what you eat between Simchas Torah and Rosh Hashana.

eta to add the word "done"--makes sense now!

Last edited by zaq on Sun, Oct 04 2015, 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

ora_43

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 11:18 pm
trixx wrote:
As frum people we eat so much it's honestly ridiculous. When we have irreligious guests for Friday night dinner they fill their plates with first course and are shocked when soup comes out, then chicken and sides, then dessert... they thought dinner was the challah, fish and multiple salads and dips. If you think about it, when you eat out, all you order is ONE dish and some sides. At any given frum meal, we serve triple that amount...

Yeah, but it's not like most frum people eat an entire plate full of bread and salad, then an entire bowl of soup, then another plate full of chicken. At least not in my experience.

Maybe that's how the people OP knows eat, I don't know.

I eat like half a piece of challah and salad, half a bowl of soup, etc. You can have a lot of courses without treating each one like the only course.

In my experience, if you tell irreligious guests in advance that dinner will be served in courses, they too will eat small amounts of each thing. People only fill up on bread because they assume you served all the food at once and they don't want to be rude by asking why it's just bread and salad. Not because they consider bread and salad a complete meal. Just IME.

ora_43

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 11:21 pm
Also a lot of frum people make a point to go into chag/Shabbat hungry, so they will enjoy the meal and not feel like "ugh, I have to eat again." It's not unreasonable to eat bread, salad, soup, and chicken at dinner if you had a very light lunch.

chani8

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 2:49 am
We dont eat much on eruv shobbos or chag.

"Bread, salad and soup" would be 'the meal'. That's a lot already.

Usually it's challah, then chicken, carrots, and for some, rice. Then, chocolate. The end.

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 5:55 am
I try to fill up on fish and soup. I give the family large portions of fish. To make the fish more enticing I make four types. I only eat a bite of fleish because it is our minchag to have some otherwise I would skip it. On Friday nights I make one portion of a main for the entire family and much of it is left over.

I also serve the fish right away so my family doesn't fill up on challah.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 6:12 am
Should we link this to intuitive eating threads? Wink

Laiya

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 8:57 am
Squishy wrote:
I try to fill up on fish and soup. I give the family large portions of fish. To make the fish more enticing I make four types. I only eat a bite of fleish because it is our minchag to have some otherwise I would skip it. On Friday nights I make one portion of a main for the entire family and much of it is left over.

I also serve the fish right away so my family doesn't fill up on challah.

Would you be willing to share any fish recipes? I just have 1, and I keep sticking with it.....

gp2.0

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 9:34 am
I noticed that when we eat out, the conversation with other people distracts us from how much we're eating. When we eat at home, we eat much less. I often don't make side dishes at all, it's not necessary while eating challah and dips, which are equivalent to a starchy side dish and a vegetable or fruit side dish. We often skip dessert.

And we're both overweight. I gained 30 lbs while nursing. I stopped nursing 6 months ago but only managed to lose 10 of those lbs. DH has an ongoing health issue that makes it very difficult for him to lose weight. There isn't always an easy answer.

Zehava

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 10:19 am
I recently went back to the diet I was on when I had gestational diabetes. It keeps me full and will hopefully help the pounds come off.

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 10:23 am
We don't do elaborate meals for yom tov

We usually have a small appetizer and challa
then one protein, one carb, and one veggie for the main

we generally skip dessert unless someone requests it in which case I serve fruit and the one cake I made for yom tov.

I will mention politely that your OP comes across a little rude and condescending though.

tichellady

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 11:18 am
I live in la and really appreciate that people in my community cook healthy. I have really been feeling good after meals even though I ate a lot because the Food was light and healthy ( mainly salads and salmon( or chicken) and fruit for desert.
The two other things that help are: I try to eat breakfast so I'm not so so hungry at lunch time and binge on challah and I try to drink a lot of water when I first get to a sukkah because often for me I confuse thirst and hunger and once I am hydrated I can gage my hunger better.

imalady

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 12:02 pm
are you aware how you sound?

you are grossed out by your mother????

wow,

and you spent the meal watching everyone's plate????

wow
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics