Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Costume Jewelry
1  2  3  Next

Motek

Post Wed, Jun 29 2005, 5:38 pm
What do you think about costume jewelry? Some examples:

What do you think about cubic zirconium (fake diamond) engagement rings?

I know someone who told her chasan that she wanted a CZ ring, and that's what she got.

Some feel that if only a jeweler can tell the difference between the real thing and a fake, then why spend thousands of dollars on the real thing when there are so many wedding expenses?

And then when some women keep the REAL jewelry in the vault and buy fake replacement pieces and wear the FAKE jewelry, then why buy the real stuff?

On the other hand, some feel that real jewelry is inherently valuable and that when you buy the real thing it's worth the money.

I don't know. I'm undecided.

True, if it's a good fake, nobody would know the difference, but I feel different knowing if something is real or fake ...

Some things I have are real, some costume jewelry. I have a beautiful costume bracelet that nobody would think is real yet it's really special and I've gotten compliments on it. So costume jewelry can be really pretty.

queen

Post Wed, Jun 29 2005, 6:18 pm
I studied (and designed) real jewelry and therefore can tell the difference. To the trained eye- real and fake are miles apart however as you said- most young girls have no clue whatsoever.

regarding getting a real diamond that just sits in the vault- that to me is useless. I love watching my ring glitter and glow with different lights/or in the sun.

motek- I know someone who said as well, don't bother with a real diamond, I'd prefer a piano. Well, she got the CZ but still no piano!!!!!!
Very Happy

Motek

Post Wed, Jun 29 2005, 7:39 pm
queen wrote:
I know someone who said as well, don't bother with a real diamond, I'd prefer a piano. Well, she got the CZ but still no piano!!!!!!
Very Happy

uh oh! is she happily married?

Quote:
I studied (and designed) real jewelry and therefore can tell the difference.

I thought a jeweler has to use a special instrument in order to be able to tell whether it's a diamond or CZ!

queen

Post Wed, Jun 29 2005, 7:56 pm
Motek wrote:
I thought a jeweler has to use a special instrument in order to be able to tell whether it's a diamond or CZ!

nope.

Diamonds have cuts along the girdle, CZ's don't. Take a look at this link for an upclose look at what I'm referring to.

http://www.tiffany.com/experti.....&

sarahd

Post Thu, Jun 30 2005, 4:11 am
Whew, I checked my ring and it has a girdle. I'm relieved.

A classmate of mine got a beautiful diamond ring when she got engaged, but her choson's family insisted that she keep it in a vault and got her a CZ ring to wear. She was not happy about it at all.

I have a lovely bracelet that my mother bought me. It looks like white gold with sapphires..well, not really, but when I was engaged, everyone thought it was real and that my choson had bought it for me!

queen

Post Thu, Jun 30 2005, 7:49 am
sarahd wrote:
Whew, I checked my ring and it has a girdle. I'm relieved.

Diamonds cut about 60-70 years ago did NOT have ridges in their girdles, but rather smooth (ironically similar to a CZ) These cuts are a more recent 'development' and method in the field.

Don't want to get someone nervous if they don't see it!

BUT as a general warning, if ever you take your ring in for fixing, unless you know the jeweler etc. DON"T let your ring out of sight. In just a couple minutes flat, they can slip your diamond out and replace with a CZ. and you'd never know.....

de_goldy

Post Thu, Jun 30 2005, 7:52 am
scarey thought queen! Thanks for the advice! :-)

Motek

Post Thu, Jun 30 2005, 11:27 am
queen - not exactly on the topic but since you are knowledgable -

How much money should a decent diamond engagement ring cost - by decent I mean, neither a little stone nor an overly large one (in fact, what is considered a "proper" size diamond in frum circles?)

I know that there are flaws that the untrained eye won't notice, and therefore, some people would prefer a bigger stone that is flawed, to a smaller stone that is perfect. What do you say queen?

supermom

Post Thu, Jun 30 2005, 2:24 pm
I think it is up to each person I wanted a bigger diamond than a small one with no flaws. it is up to a persons taste like you said that we don't realize these things only an expert can tell.

I wanted a cz for my engagement ring I didn't want my husband paying for an expensive diamond that I don't realize the difference anyway. he wouldn't hear of it, and got me a real diamond. to me I don't really care as long as it looks nice that is the main thing real or fake.

queen

Post Fri, Jul 08 2005, 10:50 am
Motek wrote:
How much money should a decent diamond engagement ring cost

I don't feel comfortable answering this on a public forum. So many variables go into such a factor... to name just a few: the 4 C's (cut, clarity, color and carrot size). Where the stone was purchased- from a vendor, 'friend' in the market, or the original importer bringing the stones into the country. Obviously the higher up you are to the source the more bang you'll be getting for your dollar.

Motek wrote:
what is considered a "proper" size diamond?

Again, I can't answer this publicly however on sizing of diamonds- each carat is 1/5 of a gram. The heavier the diamond the more valuable it is. BUT bigger doesn't neccessarily mean better. Quality is found in diamonds of all sizes.

Motek wrote:
I know that there are flaws that the untrained eye won't notice, and therefore, some people would prefer a bigger stone that is flawed, to a smaller stone that is perfect. What do you say queen?

I am very grateful that my father in law arranged for me to meet with the importer that I could actually choose it out myself. I narrowed it down to basically two stones- a larger 'flashy' stone. (Flashy meaning- to the world it would APPEAR fancy due to the large size....) ORRRRR the slightly smaller (still decent size) stone which I was able to see glittered and glowed a LOT better and at times almost looked like it was 'on fire.'

Every girl wants a big stone, me included... however knowing what I know in this area I knew I'd regret not having gotten the better quality/slightly smaller size- so I took quality over size. and each time I watch the stone dance in the sunlight I smile and am happy with my decision.

carrot

Post Fri, Jul 08 2005, 6:17 pm
queen, I also have a question for you. I have a diamond ring which has dirt caught in it, I don't know how to explain where it is but it is under the setting and so it makes the whole diamond look gray and dull. I mean, it sparkles, but not as much as it used to. I have tried all ways of cleaning it, and I have tried to poke out the dirt with a toothpick but I can't reach in there. I even gave it in once to get it cleaned but they didn't get out the dirt.

is there some special cleaning process that I can request - like maybe some kind of pressurized wash - that would get the dirt out of there?

thanks!

carrot

Post Fri, Jul 08 2005, 6:22 pm
also, since we are talking about diamonds. is there anyone besides me who thinks it's strange and not nice the way when someone gets married everyone hordes over (I know not really a word) and demands to see her diamond and makes such a big deal? I mean, I enjoy my diamond because my husband gave it to me. I think the quality and the size of it are my private business. it happens to be that I have a really nice diamond, but I was still uncomfortable the way everyone made it into a huge topic, and I can imagine that if I had a less "nice" diamond, I would have been even more uncomfortable. and I definitely saw a few girls look at my diamond and then look at theirs like they really didn't like it all that much anymore... so I think the whole diamond thing is a sad commentary on the way we do some things.

queen

Post Fri, Jul 08 2005, 6:24 pm
carrot, I assume this cleaning was done a while ago otherwise I'd suggest going back to the store and showing how it wasn't done properly. If that's not an option- bring it in to someone who KNOWS, asking what they suggest.

(yes, there are pressurized cleaning processes for jewelry.)

..... but are you SURE it is dirt and not an inclusion (defect) in the diamond which you never noticed before?

queen

Post Fri, Jul 08 2005, 6:29 pm
carrot...... you are right but unfortunately we are living in a society where everyone is always looking over their shoulders at what the next has, does or is doing. In all aspects of life.

I guess the only control over the situation which we have- is that WE don't do it!!!!!

carrot

Post Fri, Jul 08 2005, 6:33 pm
I guess I'll go to someone else for another cleaning. is it called something specific or should I just say pressurized cleaning?

I am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that it is dirt. it wasn't there, and then it was. also, I know my husband did tons of research before he chose this diamond. he definitely took all the c's into account - he knows all the ranking systems etc. (which sound like secret codes to me) and he examined this diamond with the special magnifying glass and everything. he is actually the one who noticed the dirt first.

amother

Post Sat, Jul 09 2005, 3:31 pm
Quote:
is there anyone besides me who thinks it's strange and not nice the way when someone gets married everyone hordes over (I know not really a word) and demands to see her diamond and makes such a big deal?

Yes, when I got engaged I chose with my chassan my diamond ring. When I got it, my mother's friend looked at it and said, you should have asked for a bigger diamond... I was very happy with it until she made that comment, and even nowadays I still feel a tinge about it.

queen

Post Sun, Jul 10 2005, 11:03 am
carrot- some verrrrry expensive diamonds COULD still have a defect.... however if you are sure it was not there before- I'd go along with your opinion that it's just dirt.

Go in and ask them what they suggest, but make sure it is removed before paying!

Motek

Post Sun, Jul 10 2005, 11:11 am
carrot wrote:
I think the quality and the size of it are my private business.

what you chose is your personal choice, but obviously, when you wear a diamond ring on your finger in public, the point is for other people to see it

if that wasn't the point, you would wear it in the privacy of your home

and I think it's natural for girls to ooh and ahh over a kalla's ring - though I haven't see a big deal made out of it

Quote:
When I got it, my mother's friend looked at it and said, you should have asked for a bigger diamond...

a thoughtless, insensitive remark Mad

carrot

Post Sun, Jul 10 2005, 4:04 pm
queen - I know my diamond does have a flaw, but that grayness is not it. thanks for your advice! Smile

Motek wrote:
carrot wrote:
I think the quality and the size of it are my private business.

what you chose is your personal choice, but obviously, when you wear a diamond ring on your finger in public, the point is for other people to see it

if that wasn't the point, you would wear it in the privacy of your home

and I think it's natural for girls to ooh and ahh over a kalla's ring - though I haven't see a big deal made out of it

I don't mean when people I am friendly with give me a spontaneous compliment, which of course is a natural and positive thing to do. with the ring thing, it was people I hardly knew asking to see it. I did not flaunt it at all, and all the oohing and ahing made me really uncomfortable. I am so not a diamond girl.

it felt to me like these people thought it was the polite thing to do, just like telling someone mazel tov when she gets engaged. the proof is, that when I was no longer a newlywed, people - even new aquaintances, who had not seen the ring before, no longer commented. it was as if now it was understood that oohing and ahing was no longer in order. (of course it could have been that the ring got dirty Confused )

I wear my clothes in public too, but I am still not comfortable when people look me up and down and I can almost see the little calculations going on in their brains.

I was actually really shocked by the way everyone asked to see, commented, etc. I did not know that was the way it was done. I had not seen it happen to anyone else, but that could be because I hadn't really been too involved in anyone else's engagement/wedding before my own, so lots of things caught me by surprise.

anyway I am not saying it is wrong per se, just that it made me really uncomfortable. there was no corresponding chattiness in any other topic. many of the oohers and ahers have not said a word to me since then.

actually, one of the main reasons I wear my diamonds is because I know that my husband likes to see me in them. I sometimes don't feel so shiny and I would choose not to wear such sparkly stuff but he is proud of them and of me, I guess. so I wear them.

stem

Post Sun, Jul 10 2005, 5:05 pm
Carrot, I am the same way. I am SO not a diamond (or any jewlery really) type of girl, and literally owned nothing when I got married. My husband is very into jewerly and was so happy that he got to buy me every piece that I now own, and he loves it when I wear them. When he buys me jewelry I'm (almost) more happy for him than for me!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics