Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
S/O haven't traveled to Israel
1  2  Next

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 1:48 pm
I've traveled all over the world to places in Europe, much of Asia, South America, North America, and several African countries. I have never been to Eretz Yisroel. I have often purchased tickets only to lose them and my money or transfer them or the like. People think that is has to do with some weird idealistic dream, but the honest truth is that I am hesitant to have an Israeli stamp in my passport. There. I. Said. It. I first tried to figure out if it is a chesoron in bitachon, but the thing is it is not because I'm afraid, it's just because I don't want to be bothered being detained, having to pre apply for a visa or entry to certain countries, or possibly having to change travel plans because there is the stamp on my passport! I will work on the bitachon aspect of it, but can anyone else relate or have any words of wisdom to share? If someone is triggered by this thread then I apologize in advance. I'm really frustrated with not having been to Israel, and I want to go so badly and work on myself.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 1:51 pm
Go right before your passport expires. Then you don't have to worry about the stamp being in the passport for too long.

water_bear88

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 1:55 pm
I think I heard some years ago that if you're an American (presumably European as well) traveling in the Middle East, and you're continuing on to somewhere that might give you trouble, they'll stamp a piece of paper outside of your passport. I don't know if this is still true but might be worth looking into.

Sanguine

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 1:55 pm
???? Where do you travel that you think an Israeli stamp is a problem? Iran? Saudi Arabia? Afghanistan?

water_bear88

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 1:56 pm
Sanguine wrote:
???? Where do you travel that you think an Israeli stamp is a problem? Iran? Saudi Arabia? Afghanistan?

Is Morocco a problem? I could see wanting to go there. I think there are several other African countries that are problematic, maybe some in Southeast Asia as well.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:00 pm
Sanguine wrote:

Possible Middle Eastern and African Countries although none of those that you listed. It is a s/o of the woman stopping in Abu Dhabi which is in the UAE. Regardless, there are security issues traveling with AMERICAN passports in many countries in Europe, Africa, and South America let alone with an AMERICAN passport with an ISRAELI stamp. All I need is ch'v some crazy airport or hotel individual to see the passport, write down the info, and go totally insane. People hate Americans, Israelis, and American's with Israeli stamps. I've encountered much dislike of Americans and have often been uncomfortable with that. Prior to 9/11 I had family members who would travel with a non Jewish last name in Europe.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:03 pm
I think this global now, but I dont think they stamp people's passports anymore when you enter. There is a little card that you get instead that you keep until you leave again and thats in place. Davka because of this reason, that people are fearful.
OP, check this out. I know that already three years ago when I worked for a seminary the girls were given those little cards in place of the stamp. And I know others from other countries who get this too.

Sanguine

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:11 pm
I won't comment here about Jews who will never visit EY cause it may put a crimp in all their other world travels

B'Hatzlacha

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:12 pm
Israeli Stamps wrote:

Traveling with passports containing Israeli entry/exit stamps to certain Arab nations may lead to a denial of entry, because of the Arab League boycott of Israel. Since January 2013, Israel no longer stamps foreign passports at Ben Gurion Airport, give a piece of paper instead. Passports are still (as of February 2013) stamped at Erez when travelling into and out of Gaza. Also, the passports are still stamped (as of February 2014) at the Jordan Valley/Sheikh Hussein land border with Jordan..

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:17 pm
Sanguine wrote:
I won't comment here about Jews who will never visit EY cause it may put a crimp in all their other world travels

B'Hatzlacha

I think that that is pretty unfair considering I am aware of the issue and I have absolutely no friends or family in Israel. If I had to attend simchos there it would be a different story. Yes, I want to daven at the Kotel & I want to get the chance to be apart of Eretz Yisrael, but I'm working through an issue. I am so happy for every individual that can go there, but I also struggle with anxiety and phobias which I have been working through. This is one of them, and I am trying to address that. Foreign travel is a necessary part of my obligations I.e. trying to preserve a great great grandparent's grave is pretty important isn't it? Some of them are in Muslim countries or non American Friendly countries. When I am considering possibly having issues with that over a vacation to Israel it definitely makes the list of concerns. I hope one day to be able to celebrate with you in Israel and I hope at that point you will be able to see through that judgment.

yenny

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:17 pm
I would love to hear about your travels , they sound so interesting.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:19 pm
OP look above at what I poste. Look into that.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:19 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I think this global now, but I dont think they stamp people's passports anymore when you enter. There is a little card that you get instead that you keep until you leave again and thats in place. Davka because of this reason, that people are fearful.
OP, check this out. I know that already three years ago when I worked for a seminary the girls were given those little cards in place of the stamp. And I know others from other countries who get this too.

Thank you. I will look into this.

June

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:23 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
OP look above at what I poste. Look into that.

Shabbat, what you posted is correct.

The last time my passport was stamped was in 2011.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:24 pm
June wrote:
Shabbat, what you posted is correct.

The last time my passport was stamped was in 2011.

Right. They stopped in 2013 as per my previous post.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:25 pm
I feel pretty ignorant. I wish I could erase this thread so people like Sang would not be upset. I apologize.

trixx

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:27 pm
Just went in the summer and they don't stamp. They didn't stamp either in 2013 but they did stamp in 2010.
So nothing to worry about.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 3:05 pm
Traveled to Israel a few weeks ago and did not receive a stamp in my passport. Was quite disappointed when I discovered this, since I, too, love traveling and love my passport stamp collection.
I would not travel to any country that would deny me entry on account of my Jewish status or because I visited the one Jewish country in the world. No judgment to you, OP, but as a grandchild of holocaust victims and refugees, I will not lend economic support to anti-Semitic countries.

myself

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 3:11 pm
AFAIK in the UK it's possible to apply for a second passport if one regularly travels to conflicting countries for business purposes. Perhaps there is a similar option in the States?

doctorima

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 3:16 pm
amother wrote:
I feel pretty ignorant. I wish I could erase this thread so people like Sang would not be upset. I apologize.

I don't think you need to erase the thread, but if you want to, you can report your own thread and ask the mods to remove it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics