Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
9 Av in non-frum office

amother

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 5:42 am
I work in an office with secular Jews. Here are some problems I forsee:

-Not giving a friendly good morning to my co-workers
-Not giving a friendly good morning to clients when I speak to them on the phone

In the past, I've tried to only answer to others' "good mornings," and answer in a quieter voice.

-Sitting in my comfy chair

OK, I know this if fine if there's nothing to do about it. I need to sit and work at my computer. But I still feel strange.

When I'm at work I never feel like I'm really experiencing 9 Av. It doesn't feel any different to me. In the past, it was a really moving, ruchniusdik day for me. And this year I'm pregnant and my Rav told me to eat if I don't feel well. That's even one more things that will make 9 Av feel like any other day of the week.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 5:53 am
Can't you take the day off? You should if it's at all possible (especially since working may make you more liable to having to break your fast). The fact that you wrote that you work with secular Jews (plus the time of day) makes me think that you live in Israel - many workplaces let you take off, and some places it's a discretionary day (ie you can choose certain days off from a list like May Day, Purim (lehavdil), Tisha B'av etc).

amother

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 5:55 am
No, for a number of reasons I can't take off. If I could, I would in a second.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 8:10 am
yup when I worked I took the day off ... despite that other frum people in office didn't ...

it's going to be hard because you need to be mentshlich to others ... and also if you are not feeling the tisha b'av feel ... but try to go to a class or lecture in the evening to make up for it ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics