Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Quick meal ideas
1  2  Next

e1234

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 11:24 am
anyone have quick meal ideas for working mothers with only about 15 min to prepare?

any ideas would be great....
I end up making the same things all the time...

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 12:47 pm
peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches

tuna sandwiches with cut up veggies

hotdogs and a can of corn

burgers and frozen fries

can of soup and frozen blintzes

frozen falafel with pita, salad and dips

pizza - hooray ... you can make on pita bread with marinara and mozerella cheese and spices

eggs and bread (who said it's just for breakfast)

frozen fish sticks

broiled salmon with broccoli

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 1:03 pm
Tacos. I find that the pareve version of ground beef can be cooked very quickly. For this you need taco shells, taco seasoning, sauce, pareve ground beef, and lettuce and tomato. You can also sprinkle on some grated cheese because the "beef" is pareve.

Mishie

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 1:09 pm
Or, you can put Refried Beans in the Tacos, with sprinkled cheese on top (and some lettuce and tomatoes).

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 1:32 pm
think crockpot and microwave.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 1:52 pm
stir fry - use meat, chicken, tofu, hot dogs, veggie meat and bags of mixed frozen veg. Serve with rice or noodles.

Pasta with tomato sauce with grated cheese, or tuna. Even if you make this from scratch it is really quick. (fry onions, garlic and other veggies - mushrooms pepper etc and add tins of cut up tomatoes and some puree and italian seasoning)

omelettes or fritattas.

baked beans on toast.

greeneyes

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 1:57 pm
deli sandwiches (we like turkey)

whole wheat pasta mixed with cottage cheese, cinnamon, and sugar

soy burgers on buns with pickles, tomato, lettuce, & ketchup

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 4:22 pm
pasta with cheese and sauce.
couscous - either the mini kind, or israeli toasted kind (I make mine with lots of spices, and ketchup and soy sauce).
last week, in a pinch, I did instand mashed potatoes and added milk.
borekas (bought frozen, or made with ready rolled puff pastry)

for protein, tuna, or the soy burger/shnitzel/nugget things. fried breaded fish (bought frozen already breaded).

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 7:17 pm
HAVE A LOOK AT THE Kosher grocery's freezer section and see what appeals to you - like the frozen raviolis, the fish portions, blintzes, etc. There are other conveniene foods like fries and such that go in the oven with no fuss - you can even put your oven on a timer so it's hot when you come home.

Even noodles take 30 minutes to make, but you can fill the pot with water and put it on the stove at your convenience, and then turn it on when you just come home. By the time you change and go to the bathroom, etc., it'll be boiling.

A lot of meats cook quickly - minute steak, burgers, etc. You don't want every single meal to be convenienvce food.

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 7:18 pm
Real tacos are also very quick to make.

Pea soup made with canned (or frozen peas) - I make mine with a combo of both

bean burritos

chicken

sandwiches

mimivan

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 8:44 pm
I make homemade soup the night before and have it on hand. Then I serve it with toasted cheese sandwiches, an easy rice dish. I also always have homemade marinara sauce in the freezer for spaghetti.
sometimes I boil up some noodles and mix with Israeli cheese, salt and pepper

(Basically we can't afford any convenience food...but these meals are pretty easy)

I can get away with alot of so-so main dishes if I have a good soup--baked potatoes, couscous, etc...

amother

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 9:41 pm
My family loves these quick meals:

Scrambled eggs with a salad
Chumous, pita bread, cheese slices, and a veggie or salad
Grilled cheese sandwiches and a vegetable

and if I really have no time to spare:
I make a tuna salad and serve with canned corn, peas or green beans (the kids love this one!)

I hardly ever use frozen convenience foods...very unhealthy

Seraph

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 1:45 am
chocolate moose wrote:
HAVE A LOOK AT THE Kosher grocery's freezer section and see what appeals to you - like the frozen raviolis, the fish portions, blintzes, etc. There are other conveniene foods like fries and such that go in the oven with no fuss - you can even put your oven on a timer so it's hot when you come home.

Even noodles take 30 minutes to make, but you can fill the pot with water and put it on the stove at your convenience, and then turn it on when you just come home. By the time you change and go to the bathroom, etc., it'll be boiling.

A lot of meats cook quickly - minute steak, burgers, etc. You don't want every single meal to be convenienvce food.

30 minutes to make noodles? Mine take 15 minutes, tops! What are we doing differnetly?

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 2:02 am
maybe she's adding boiling time.

if you eat fish with dairy, tuna-cheese quesadillas are great. Canned tuna, shredded melting cheese (a mix of mozerella and cheddar is fantastic) between two flour or corn tortillas or wraps. Bake until the cheese is melted and serve with salsa and white rice. For added zing, add a couple slices of hot peppers to the tuna-cheese mix.

And as someone said - crockpots are your friend. When I was a single, working mom, I'd put a frozen chicken into the crockpot, add carrots, onions, potatoes, zucchini... whatever... sprinkle on some seasoning, add a cup of water, set the crockpot on low and come home in the evening to a hot meal, ready to eat.

Seraph

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 2:40 am
Kmelion wrote:
maybe she's adding boiling time.

I boil my water in a kumkum first, and I was including that time in the 15 minutes.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 10:19 am
Noodles, from water into thepot to draining, takes 30minutes. Some noodles need 20 minutes to cook, remember.

mimivan

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 10:42 am
I think I know the brand Breslov is talking about, CM, their sold in E.Y take 15 minutes from boiling the water to completion (I'd say 7 minutes in the boiling water)

Anyway, they are really fast and easy..Osem makes them.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 11:05 am
Brown meat -- 5 minutes
add tomato sauce, diced or stewed tomatoes if you want, water, spices -- 1 minute
put in raw macaroni, cover and let boil, stir frequently. When macaroni is cooked (~10 min), supper is ready Smile

Can throw in some frozen veggies in there too if interested

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 11:12 am
If you want more ideas for quick meal ideas, check out one of Rachael Ray's cookbooks from the library. All her meals are supposedly able to be made in 30 minutes. I know that I can make her meals quickly.

shoy18

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 1:36 pm
baked chicken with sweet potatos and regular potatos. Dump duck sauce on the chicken and bake, cut up potatos spice with olive oil and spices. bake SIMPLE AND YUMMY
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics