Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Shtisel - WITH spoilers :) including season 3
  Previous  1  2  3 54  55  56 75  76  77  Next

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 1:36 am
[quote="amother [ Babypink ]"
Tzvi Arye says he is worried about his kids getting kicked out, but really he is just worried about everyone talking. And he doesn't feel comfortable with the whole idea of a woman driving. But if it was really a rule, I think his children WOULD be able to be kicked out, despite his father being the menahel. His father may be the menahel, but he isn't the boss, as we have clearly seen in the previous episodes.[/quote]
Also we know that Shulem has his principles. Remember how he kicked out Tzvi Arye‘s son Velvele from the choir where he was a lead singer when he heard that he is swearing
And he immediately called Lipe „a shababnik with a car“ so we know what he is thinking about owning a car

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 1:37 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Latest episode is so, so good.
I saw it on telegram with no subtitles at all but I'm going to look again to find with Hebrew subtitles since I don't know yiddish and I like seeing the episodes twice. Apparently Devorah'le is one now and it's at least 2 months since the start of the season, so her mother died at least 10 months ago when she was 2 months at most. And supposedly it's beginning of teves now which seems off with no Chanukah anything.

totally agree, its the first episode of this season that I liked

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 7:01 am
At Devorah'le's birthday when Akiva's friends tell him that if he would get evaluated, they'd find mental health problems with him too - LOL

At least in this episode, Akiva notices that Rachelli is touching him, but that's still so strange. And the sheitel on and off is also weird. I wonder if the chilonim even noticed that part, since she has a very good sheitel. I can imagine that only a frum person would pick up on that.

I really thought Akiva was going to offer to paint a portrait of Rachelli to replace the picture of Libi!!

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 7:01 am
Regular link please! not telgram. Pretty please?

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 7:27 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:

I really thought Akiva was going to offer to paint a portrait of Rachelli to replace the picture of Libi!!

I‘m sure you are right and he will do it now!

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 7:43 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:

At least in this episode, Akiva notices that Rachelli is touching him, but that's still so strange. And the sheitel on and off is also weird. I wonder if the chilonim even noticed that part, since she has a very good sheitel. I can imagine that only a frum person would pick up on that.

Weird because we don't see any of the other married women walk around with just their hair at home. They all cover it. Maybe she decided she doesn't want to be married?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 8:26 am
I guess she's only half married, paper only, so wearing a head covering at home is stretching her need to cover?
The flower thing I'm sure is some type of metaphor, but I don't get it. Can anyone explain? Only smelling it at night, the darkest times? It was a pretty prominently featured component.

It was so sad when Kive was telling Devorah'le that they'll never go to St. Petersburg with Racheli. But I guess Farshluffen and co changed his mind when they said everyone has problems.

I really liked this episode because we finally see progress in Akiva. He's not chasing after his heart (and he does indeed like Racheli) but trying to do what's right (stable mother figure for Devorah'le, honoring Libi's memory) as well as figuring out the Racheli puzzle.
Also Shulem and the Tzvi Aryeh subplot was so entertaining without being heavy. Shulem's face when he found out the doctor has a boyfriend and told him that he could have one too 🤣

I'm thinking here, could it be that Kive wanted the Libi portrait for comfort when he realized the Racheli marriage wouldn't work out?
She says no, back to business.
He is upset, leaves, decides it's over for good, ignores her calls, realizes maybe her issues are not as bad as he thinks due to his kugel friends, decides to give it another chance at the same time Racheli realizes she's lost yet another marriage prospect as she mentions she's had so many people smile across from her, not knowing her secret and how it will change their view. But she gets over her disappointment and decides to gift Kive with his wife back and end the business relationship as well.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 8:38 am
Anyone have a link other than telegram?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 8:48 am
Oh and I didn't think it was a problem when Kive was eating the bread as he had sat down for a meal, I assumed he washed. Toby was a different case altogether as she even said she wasn't going to eat.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 9:23 am
Oh and I didn't think it was a problem when Kive was eating the bread as he had sat down for a meal, I assumed he washed. Toby was a different case altogether as she even said she wasn't going to eat.
Tobi said she‘s just eaten with the children, maybe she hasn‘t bentched yet

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 9:25 am
She definitely had hesech hadaas even if it was in 72 minutes which is possible though unlikely since she had to put them to bed and make this supper. I guess it doesn't really matter to be judging favorably for a fictional character 😂

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 9:39 am
She definitely had hesech hadaas even if it was in 72 minutes which is possible though unlikely since she had to put them to bed and make this supper. I guess it doesn't really matter to be judging favorably for a fictional character 😂

The magic here is how we think of the Shtisels as real people. Look at us explaining how she could have eaten without hamotzi Very Happy

Another mom

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 2:45 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
do you guys think Shulem will find the woman he is looking for?
I missed Ruchami this time
I‘m glad that Kive and Racheli didn‘t go to Russia

I don't know if he'll find her - but there might be a funny twist - like he meets her and she's wearing pants, one lg earring, short sleeves or whatever!!
Ruchami Was in it tons last week- I guess they take turns

Another mom

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 3:03 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Without subtitles, I didn't get every last thing.
Can someone tell me, what did Akiva answer Rachelli after she made her confession? He said they will still travel another time? I didn't quite catch it.
Also, after the conversation he asks if he could take the painting afterwards. She says, no, we had an agreement, a painting for a painting. (Which is true). Why was he so taken aback by her answer? Why should she suddenly give him the pictures they she paid for?

If they are married, they both should have possession of the pictures.... So weird, married but not married Question

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 3:22 pm
Another mom wrote:
If they are married, they both should have possession of the pictures.... So weird, married but not married Question

Exactly. I think the idea of her sometimes wearing a sheitel (outdoors) but not indoors, indicates the ambivalent nature of the marriage. They are officially married but not really, they have obviously not consummated their marriage, so she doesnt feel the need to wear the shaitel indoors. She feels free to touch him, and they are seen together, but they don't live together. Are the producers assuming that we assume that akiva and Rachelli are trying to see if they could become man and wife? Because that wasn't the deal. The deal was strictly transactional, in order to get Devorahle back.
In that case, why should she give him back the paintings? She paid good money for them
I know it's just a show, but as a frum person, I am disturbed that the producers are playing around with the concept of marriage in such a cavalier way. We believe marriage is a sacred bond. If they are really married al pi halacha, they should live together. If not, they should get divorced. It's not the same as being separated, since this marriage was never sincere.
When Rachelli proposed the marriage, she said "I will marry you and we will get Devorahle back and then we will go our own separate ways." But what about a proper get?
As two responsible adults, they should have arranged the get as soon as possible after having acheived their goals.

They did the same kind of thing with Ruchami and Chanina. They make the marriage into a sort of joke, by ignoring the elephant in the room that marriage is more than just a ceremony and wearing a head covering. I think this is a big flaw in the series.

happydays123

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 3:46 pm
. But come on, where's that money from if she is just a teacher?

Coming from someone who's trying to get their license in Israel right now, this whole storyline was literally the least believable, and that's on Shtisel! You need a minimum of 28 lessons, most teachers take 150+ per lesson - that's 4200 shekel minimum there. Plus the test is about 500, and that's assuming you pass the first one (that part was believable when she was shocked she passed!) so that's almost 5000. And that's assuming your teacher doesn't feel you need more lessons (most do) so we're talking closer to 6000 shekel.
And then another 40K on a car?!

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 4:19 pm
Exactly. I think the idea of her sometimes wearing a sheitel (outdoors) but not indoors, indicates the ambivalent nature of the marriage. They are officially married but not really, they have obviously not consummated their marriage, so she doesnt feel the need to wear the shaitel indoors. She feels free to touch him, and they are seen together, but they don't live together. Are the producers assuming that we assume that akiva and Rachelli re trying to see if they could become man and wife? Because that wasnt the deal. The deal was strictly transactional, in order to get Devorahle back.
In that case, why should she give him back the paintings? She paid food money for them
I know it's just a show, but as a frum person, I am disturbed that the producers are playing around with the concept of marriage in such a cavalier way. We believe marriage is a sacred bond. If they are really married al pi halacha, they should live together. If not, they should get divorced. It's not the same as being separated, since this marriage was never sincere.
When Rachelli proposed the marriage, she said "I will marry you and we will get Devorahle back and then we will go our own separate ways." But what about a proper get?
As two responsible adults, they should have arranged the get as soon as possible after having acheived their goals.

They did the same kind of thing with Ruchami and Chanina. They make the marriage into a sort of joke, by ignoring the elephant in the room that marriage is more than just a ceremony and wearing a head covering. I think this is a big flaw in the series.

I'm going to agree with you Babypink. A lot of us find parts of the storyline unrealistic or unbelievable but it's fiction and I feel like we need to give them some poetic license. If someone doesn't dress or speak or behave exactly like we think an authentic Yerushalmi would I'm not going to quibble. Because Ruchami and Chanina's marriage was so central to their story I was upset it was presented as a kind of marriage that doesn't exist in Yerushalmi society or in any chareidi or jpf society anywhere. It ruined the Ruchami Chanina part of the story for me until I got into season 3 and decided to forget about how weirdly the two of them started out. Now they're playing the same games with Akiva and Racheli. Sad

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 4:37 pm
happydays123 wrote:
Coming from someone who's trying to get their license in Israel right now, this whole storyline was literally the least believable, and that's on Shtisel! You need a minimum of 28 lessons, most teachers take 150+ per lesson - that's 4200 shekel minimum there. Plus the test is about 500, and that's assuming you pass the first one (that part was believable when she was shocked she passed!) so that's almost 5000. And that's assuming your teacher doesn't feel you need more lessons (most do) so we're talking closer to 6000 shekel.
And then another 40K on a car?!

don‘t forget that they live rent free all their married life!

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 4:38 pm
Exactly. I think the idea of her sometimes wearing a sheitel (outdoors) but not indoors, indicates the ambivalent nature of the marriage. They are officially married but not really, they have obviously not consummated their marriage, so she doesnt feel the need to wear the shaitel indoors. She feels free to touch him, and they are seen together, but they don't live together. Are the producers assuming that we assume that akiva and Rachelli re trying to see if they could become man and wife? Because that wasnt the deal. The deal was strictly transactional, in order to get Devorahle back.
In that case, why should she give him back the paintings? She paid food money for them

they cannot divorce so soon because obviously the revacha is still keeping an eye on them

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 4:52 pm
Please please someone post a link not on telegram.
Page 55 of 77   Previous  1  2  3 54  55  56 75  76  77  Next Recent Topics