Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Shtisel - WITH spoilers :) including season 3
  Previous  1  2  3 73  74 75  76  77  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 12:53 am
Season 3 will be on Netflix on March 25th!

cb

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 11:06 pm
essie14 wrote:
Episode 9 was the finale

Really?????

No way.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 7:07 am
So strange. Watching season 1 again now on sdarot with Hebrew subtitles and so much is unfamiliar. Did they edit and delete a lot when they aired the English subtitles? I have no recollection of Akiva and the Yeshiva Ketana episode, for example.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 8:02 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
So strange. Watching season 1 again now on sdarot with Hebrew subtitles and so much is unfamiliar. Did they edit and delete a lot when they aired the English subtitles? I have no recollection of Akiva and the Yeshiva Ketana episode, for example.

You can simply rewatch the episode in Sdarot with English subtitles and compare to see if anything was left out.

But I do remember seeing several scenes of Akiva being a rebbe in the Yeshiva ketana in the beginning of Season 1.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 9:54 am
cb wrote:
Really?????

No way.
Yup. Because of filming during corona and all of that.

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 11:50 am
I was on a forum of Shtisel lovers and someone posted about a study that Brandeis University is doing. It is what they are calling a "Shtisel Diary" - you watch an episode of Season 3 and then record your feelings, thoughts etc. about the episode.

It is evidently part of ongoing research and studies on all aspects of Judaism and Judaic culture. As part of the sign up, you are asked to describe what kind of a Jew you consider yourself to be. I would imagine it is to put it in context as frum Jews' reactions and feelings would probably be different from those of a secular Jew or a non-Jew

At any rate, this probably explains it better than I can

The Shtisel Diary app is part of an ongoing project to document Jewish learning through cultural arts. The project is interested in what people learn about Judaism, Jews and themselves by watching television, listening to Jewish music, visiting Jewish museums, and participating in cultural arts events. The project leads are Dr. Laura Yares, Assistant Professor of Religious Studies at Michigan State University, and Dr. Sharon Avni, Professor of Academic Literacy and Linguistics at CUNY. The Project is sponsored by the Mandel Center for Studies in Jewish Education at Brandeis University.
You can learn more about the project here: https://www.brandeis.edu/mande......html

Diarists participate in this project by recording their thoughts as they watch series 3 of the Israeli TV show, Shtisel. After watching each new episode, diarists will log onto the app and tell us about what they saw, heard and learned in response to a couple of prompt questions.

Interested in participating? Sign up to be a Participant and start recording!

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 4:23 pm
What language is used in Shtisel. I don't speak Hebrew so I don't follow the spoken dialogue closely but I will hear Yiddish words and very occasionally English words. The English words I get as a lot of non-English languages have incorporated English words rather than inventing another word in the native language. So do they speak Hebrew with Yiddish interspersed?

Are all the generations fluent in Yiddish? If so, how do adults discussed juicy subjects around the children. LOL I always knew something scandalous or otherwise interesting was being talked about when it reverted to excessively Yiddish. Very Happy

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 04 2021, 3:03 am
Amarante wrote:
What language is used in Shtisel. I don't speak Hebrew so I don't follow the spoken dialogue closely but I will hear Yiddish words and very occasionally English words. The English words I get as a lot of non-English languages have incorporated English words rather than inventing another word in the native language. So do they speak Hebrew with Yiddish interspersed?

Are all the generations fluent in Yiddish? If so, how do adults discussed juicy subjects around the children. LOL I always knew something scandalous or otherwise interesting was being talked about when it reverted to excessively Yiddish. Very Happy
The language in Shtisel is 99% hebrew and a drop of Yiddish. There was more yiddish in the 2 previous seasons as there wer older characters. Yiddish is still used but not nearly as much in the younger genrations.
I can imagine what english you thought you heard. Smile

Amarante

Post Sun, Apr 04 2021, 10:35 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
The language in Shtisel is 99% hebrew and a drop of Yiddish. There was more yiddish in the 2 previous seasons as there wer older characters. Yiddish is still used but not nearly as much in the younger genrations.
I can imagine what english you thought you heard. Smile

In terms of English there were some modern objects like iPhone or the equivalent and then there were concepts. I can't remember the exact phrase but Gitte definitely used "being in love" or something like that when she was angry because Yossele thought he was "in love" with Shiri Number 1. It stood out because it made me wonder if there is no Chareidi term for the concept because it is so outside the cultural references in much the same way as there is no English equivalent for menage a trois Very Happy

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 3:06 am
Amarante wrote:
In terms of English there were some modern objects like iPhone or the equivalent and then there were concepts. I can't remember the exact phrase but Gitte definitely used "being in love" or something like that when she was angry because Yossele thought he was "in love" with Shiri Number 1. It stood out because it made me wonder if there is no Chareidi term for the concept because it is so outside the cultural references in much the same way as there is no English equivalent for menage a trois Very Happy

Actually I think Gitty used the Hebrew "me'uhav" that Yossela used.

However, back in Season one, when Kiva was hesitant about going forward with the shidduch with Esti, Shulem tells Kiva , "you think I ever said to your mother- I love you??"
He says that phrase in English.

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 3:14 pm
maybe this was already mentioned, but anyone find it strange that we find out Shulem's full name is Shalom Yosef, and Gitti has a Yosef? I thought that's not really accepted among Ashkenzaim

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 3:26 pm
lech lecha08 wrote:
maybe this was already mentioned, but anyone find it strange that we find out Shulem's full name is Shalom Yosef, and Gitti has a Yosef? I thought that's not really accepted among Ashkenzaim

Good catch. Yes, it was mentioned at the time when it was aired.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 9:32 pm
I just finished season 3 and absolutely loved it! Any other Americans watching or just finished watching?

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:27 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
I just finished season 3 and absolutely loved it! Any other Americans watching or just finished watching?

Me! 2 min ago 🤣

tigerwife

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:21 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

I liked it but I found it to be a little more depressing than the other seasons. They were emotional but funny, too.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 11:47 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I liked it but I found it to be a little more depressing than the other seasons. They were emotional but funny, too.

I just watched Season 3, Episode 1, and wanted to kick the screen many times, because I was upset at what had happened.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:08 am
Absolutely loved this series! When is Season 4?!

Question- when Hanina and Ruchami were in the hospital for IVF, weren't they told that the surrogate was there too for insemination? So how could Ruchami cancel afterwards without a problem?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:49 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:

Question- when Hanina and Ruchami were in the hospital for IVF, weren't they told that the surrogate was there too for insemination? So how could Ruchami cancel afterwards without a problem?
There seems to be a lot of holes in the stories, I mean, how in the world would a couple like ruhami and hanina, who dont make a lot of money, afford surrogacy? But its a show, so it doent all have to make sense.

essie14

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 7:28 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:

Season 3 is the last season.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:21 pm
I just watched Season 3, Show 1, without English subtitles.

I didnt catch Shulem explaining what the relationship is between the wealthy couple who came to see Shulem, how they know each other, what the connection is, etc.

Tia.
Page 74 of 77   Previous  1  2  3 73  74 75  76  77  Next Recent Topics