Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What's better- Hewlett or West Hempstead?
1  2  Next

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 7:27 pm
We live in Woodmere right now and I hate it. Personally, I think I'd be a lot happier in West Hempstead, but DH thinks it's too modern and that it's "in the middle of nowhere". He is originally from Woodmere himself and I think that's just how he remembers what WH was 20 years ago but that it's not like that anymore. I heard Hewlett is the least "Five Townsy" of the Five Towns, so I'm willing to consider it because it will probably be more comfortable for DH to be right next to his hometown. I think WH would be a better fit, but is Hewlett similar enough that I can be comfortable there too? Or is it more like Woodmere? I will also consider any other suggestions about places that are close enough that our kids can continue to attend their current Five Towns schools and that are more down to earth and friendly than where we currently are.

artz

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 8:18 pm
I have cousins who live in West Hempstead. There is a growing Yeshivish community. There is currently a minyan with a rabbi that meets in a basement that is made up of mostly black hat families. The Rabbi's name is Rabbi Uri Lesser. If you want to contact him you can PM me. There is also a Young Israel, a Chabad, and a couple of other shuls. It is a very warm and giving community. Everyone is extremely welcoming and kind. My cousins kids went to schools in the 5 Towns/Far Rockaway area, and they had busing. It is not really the middle of nowhere. It is only a 15-20 minute drive to Central Avenue which is really not so far. West Hempstead currently has two kosher bagel stores (Bageltown is the only nut and sesame free bagel store in the area), one kosher pizza store, one kosher Chinese restaurant, one fleishig kosher restaurant, and a kosher grocery store with a takeout counter.

nyer1

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 8:35 pm
frum community never really took off in hewlett. I have friends that moved there and they are regretful that they did - they are pretty lonely.
west hempstead isn't as modern as you think, but then again, I don't know much about u.

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 8:44 pm
Do you want to spend most of your time driving to and from West Hempstead to the 5 towns for school--when you have teenagers--you'd have late night mishmar/play practice...you may spend a year or two driving your son to bar mitzvhas every single weekend. That's a lot of travel time. and I know it would stress me out. That's why I would opt to stay closer.
Also, you said you want your kids to stay in their 5 towns school...so are you just looking for a new shul or neighbors? Can you get yourself invited to shabbos somewhere to a shul in either neighborhood and meet people that way?

perquacky

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 9:20 pm
nyer1 wrote:
west hempstead isn't as modern as you think

Totally not true. We are MO, and there are plenty of people in town like us. With more moving in.
True, there is now an Agudah minyan, and I can tell you that many people are upset about it for varying reasons.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 10:29 pm
It really does seem West Hempstead is more for us. I wouldn't classify us as yeshivish, I think we're MO, but at the rightmost side of it. Anyway, I don't really think that matters that much, I care much more that I should have friendly neighbors and a community I can be part of, down to earth and non-judgmental. The reason we want to stick with the school is that our kids are very successful there, and one of them has a lot of needs that the school handles very well. But none of the kids they're friendly with are close enough for Shabbos anyway, so WH is not going to make a difference in that sense. I KNEW there was more stuff there than there was when DH was growing up. I want him to give it a chance. How do we go about spending a Shabbos there? Also, since I did promise him I'd check out Hewlett, where do I look there?

perquacky

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 11:06 pm
Three of the shuls here have hospitality committees that will find a place for your family to spend Shabbat. Please pm me for more info.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 8:20 am
perquacky wrote:
Totally not true. We are MO, and there are plenty of people in town like us. With more moving in.
True, there is now an Agudah minyan, and I can tell you that many people are upset about it for varying reasons.

People might be upset about it, but it is making it possible for many people's children who have gone to the right consider moving to the neighborhood.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 10:56 am
The actual WH neighborhood is not a physically pretty place. Lots of big, busy streets, lots of small/starter homes. Hewlett is a beautiful area in general and closer to all the school stuff. If you can find a block or two where families that you would want to befriend live, I think you are better off there. Just my layperson opinion.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 12:13 pm
amother wrote:
The actual WH neighborhood is not a physically pretty place. Lots of big, busy streets, lots of small/starter homes. Hewlett is a beautiful area in general and closer to all the school stuff. If you can find a block or two where families that you would want to befriend live, I think you are better off there. Just my layperson opinion.

I agree. I grew up in the 5T and the 5 Towns in general depends on the shul you go to and the block you live on. For the kids it's the class they're in but that you say is not changing. And it's a 15 minute drive from central without traffic....it is a bigger move than you think....and in spring kids roller blade/ride their bikes to meet each other...and I wouldn't feel comf having my kids do from WH. But you need to be happy too!!!!

perquacky

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 1:19 pm
"People might be upset about it, but it is making it possible for many people's children who have gone to the right consider moving to the neighborhood."

They'd be happier about it if the new people moving in were friendly and wished you a Good Shabbos as they passed you by. I've heard several complaints from friends of mine who were simply ignored on street.

perquacky

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 1:24 pm
"and in spring kids roller blade/ride their bikes to meet each other...and I wouldn't feel comf having my kids do from WH. But you need to be happy too!!!!"

You're kidding, right? Plenty of kids ride their bikes around town and it's totally safe.

It really all comes down to whether or not you want to live in a diverse community where no one feels like they have to keep up with the Cohens. 'Nuff said.

perquacky

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 1:26 pm
"lots of small/starter homes"

Huh? If a 4-bedroom house with a den and a fully finished basement is your idea of a starter home, then I'd love to see what kind of house you live in.

nyer1

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 4:13 pm
another thing to consider -- taxes are WAY less in WH than in hewlett. food for thought.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 7:16 pm
I live in WH. Another couple we have become friendly with moved here from Hewlett because the area never became the "community" they were hoping it would. WH on the other hand is getting very popular. The houses for sale get snatched right up.

Perquacky I am sorry you have had that experience. I am one of the "Agudah" type people you mentioned and I would never ignore a "Good Shabbos" from anyone. Please don't lump us all together. I have been passed by MO people without a greeting too. It is a person thing, not a religious one.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 7:32 pm
amother wrote:

Perquacky I am sorry you have had that experience. I am one of the "Agudah" type people you mentioned and I would never ignore a "Good Shabbos" from anyone. Please don't lump us all together. I have been passed by MO people without a greeting too. It is a person thing, not a religious one.

We're considering the neighborhood and our experience has been the same everywhere. It isn't a certain hashkafa where people are rude it is individual people.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 7:58 pm
I'm one of the Shabbos snubbers its definitely not hashkafah. It's a city thing (I'm originally from the city). City dwellers don't acknowledge other pedestrians. I promise I'm not being unfriendly, it's just how I grew up! Maybe the agudah people all came from Brooklyn Smile
In any event, I have contacted the hospitality committees of the 3 shuls so we can come check it out. If I want to check out Hewlett more, where do I look? Who do I speak to? Thanks.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 4:24 pm
So...it's been a couple of years. OP -- any updates? Where did you end up moving?
We are similar to you, Hashkafa wise, and we are considering Hewlett (currently living in Brooklyn), but I don't want to exchange one context of loneliness for another.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 5:14 pm
Deleted

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 12:04 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
So...it's been a couple of years. OP -- any updates? Where did you end up moving?
We are similar to you, Hashkafa wise, and we are considering Hewlett (currently living in Brooklyn), but I don't want to exchange one context of loneliness for another.

BUMP.

How are things these days in Hewlett? West Hempstead? We are considering both of these options and would love some input please.

We are currently in Brooklyn. Sincerely frum but not yeshivish. Looking for a community where people are kind and friendly, and where most women cover their hair (to one extent or another. It doesn't have to be sheitels), and wear skirts. And were there are families in the 40-60 age range. Our budget for a house is 800k-900k for a nice, four bedroom, full basement house.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating