Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Need suggestion: boys sleepaway camp
1  2  Next

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 8:30 pm
I am looking for a suggestion for a boys sleepaway camp for my nephew. He lives in a tiny OOT community, and is outgrowing the frum daycamp there.

This is what he'd be looking for in a camp:

not so into sports (no leauges or anything)
from an OOT community, so a mix of kids from various cities (not just NY/NJ area) is preferred
mainstream yeshivish (no dvds, ipods, etc)
from a more simple family-- not fancy at all-- does not need the latest nosh, the geox shoes, air conditioned bunk, etc., etc.,

Anywhere on the east coast or midwest is okay. First half is better since he is probably going to come to stay with me second half.

Camp Marom in Detroit sounds great-- but he is too young
Agudah Midwest-- a possibility, but boys is 2nd half, so not ideal.
Bonim-- sounds like a lot of sports

Would Camp Agudah be a good option for an OOT boy who isn't so into sports?

what else?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 8:46 pm
Camp Tashbar sounds like a possibility

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 9:44 pm
I wouldn't recommend Agudah. I second the recommendation of Toras Chaim Tashbar in Liberty, NY. If you could find a place in the Midwest that works for you that would probably be even better, but for Catskill camps, Tashbar checks off most of the boxes you listed.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 9:49 pm
You should look into the new camp in PA run by a bunch of great guys from Baltimore and silver spring. Camp chaverim. Camp director is a really enthusiastic young educator, he teaches in my kids high school. Sports director is a very expereinced sports coach, Learning director is an amazing amazing, caring rebbi (can you tell he taught my son last year>? ) Smile
they are aimed at OOT kids, they are hoping for lots of kids from Baltimore and silver spring and are keeping the camp small - maximum 100 kids I believe.
contact info:
www.chaverimovernight.com phone number 301 807 2260 email : chaverim.overnight@gmail.com

honestly, if I could only afford it I would send at least two of my kids there, but overnight camp doesnt fit into our budget unfortunately.

aimhabanim

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 10:42 pm
Op sounds a lot like what I am looking for my ds. Someone suggested camp achim. Anyone know anything about it?

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 12:18 am
I posted earlier, but for some reason forgot to mention that I've heard wonderful reviews about Camp Kol Torah, on the campus of Telz yeshiva in Cleveland. It sounds like exactly what you're looking for! Definitely look into it further.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 12:46 am
aimhabanim wrote:
Op sounds a lot like what I am looking for my ds. Someone suggested camp achim. Anyone know anything about it?

The only thing that I know about Achim is that we have two friends who work there, one as a divison head and one as a rebbi. He is an awesome rebbi by the way, and teh one who is a division head is a bouncy, enthusiastic, caring kind of guy... but I dont know anyone who sent their kids there.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 9:35 am
amother wrote:
I wouldn't recommend Agudah. I second the recommendation of Toras Chaim Tashbar in Liberty, NY. If you could find a place in the Midwest that works for you that would probably be even better, but for Catskill camps, Tashbar checks off most of the boxes you listed.

Baby pink another: can you tell me why you wouldn't recommend Agudah? Also, someone else told me totally the opposite about Toras Chaim Tashbar! Very sporty, very Flatbush, etc.... Is that incorrect?

Regarding Kol Torah in Cleveland--- I have to look into it more. I was under the impression that because it ha a strong learning camp, an kid from an OOT school (where the learning is a slower pace) would have a hard time there. But if there is a good chevra, then that would override that.....

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 10:20 am
Babypink here - I'm anon because I send to Tashbar. There definitely are kids from Flatbush, but quite a large number from across the country and globe (my son even had a kid from South American in his bunk!). The 2nd half is more "Lakewood"y, which my son personally doesn't like, so he usually goes first half. By camp standards, it's quite small, very wholesome, non-pressured and judgmental. They have sports like all camps, but less than other places. I have a nephew who HATES sports, and he went last summer and absolutely loved it.

Agudah I don't know firsthand, but from what I hear and my sons tell me, it's a much cooler, in-town crowd, and more into sports. Check with somebody who's sent there to be sure.

Kol Torah - again, not first-hand, but I have a very OOT cousin, who was planning to send her son there for this reason, and DH has a friend who works there and raves about the staff, chevra, everything about it - definitely look into it.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 10:59 am
Baby Pink and Taupe-- would you mind sending me a PM so I can discuss a few things further with you? Would that be okay with you?

You can contact the user Ruchelbuckle-- she will tell you my user name.

AimHaBanim: I sent you a PM regarding what I know about Achim.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 10:36 am
can someone post the number for Toras Chaim Tashbar? TY.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 9:41 am
Bumping

I am looking into Camp Achim for DS. We know a few kids going there. Anyone have any more info?
My son is very into sports, so if that's not what the kids like to do most of the day I don't know how thrilled he'd be. Also what is the learning like?
Are the kids very into name brands and labels? We're from OOT so my DS is definitely not up to speed with this stuff.

Thanks

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 9:57 am
My son went to Achim for a few years, recently. The first year he went, it had a much stronger out of town flavor. It slowly became a very Lakewood-heavy camp, and it seems to cater to a specific “type” within Lakewood. I have a lot to say, you can pm me me.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 10:29 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
You should look into the new camp in PA run by a bunch of great guys from Baltimore and silver spring. Camp chaverim. Camp director is a really enthusiastic young educator, he teaches in my kids high school. Sports director is a very expereinced sports coach, Learning director is an amazing amazing, caring rebbi (can you tell he taught my son last year>? ) Smile
they are aimed at OOT kids, they are hoping for lots of kids from Baltimore and silver spring and are keeping the camp small - maximum 100 kids I believe.
contact info:
www.chaverimovernight.com phone number 301 807 2260 email : chaverim.overnight@gmail.com

honestly, if I could only afford it I would send at least two of my kids there, but overnight camp doesnt fit into our budget unfortunately.

Was also going to mention camp chaveirim. I know very oot boys that went there and did great.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 11:12 am
Quote:
Was also going to mention camp chaveirim. I know very oot boys that went there and did great.

I have also heard wonderful things about this camp but for specific reasons I'm not interested in sending there.
Thank you though

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 11:14 am
Quote:

My son went to Achim for a few years, recently. The first year he went, it had a much stronger out of town flavor. It slowly became a very Lakewood-heavy camp, and it seems to cater to a specific “type” within Lakewood. I have a lot to say, you can pm me me.

I'm not comfortable PMing, but thank you for the info, I really appreciate it. Is there anything else general you feel comfortable posting.

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 11:29 am
Okay, I’ll say it like this— unless you have a very specific reason to send there, I think there are better choices for boys from out of town. And yes, my son did find that a lot of the kids there were into brands and stuff. There definitely isn’t the “out of town” simplicity in gashmius that you might find in other places.
Is there any thing specific that is turning you off from Camp Chaverim? My friend who has been sending there since the first year says it’s now getting a much more yeshivish crowd than the first 2-3 years.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 11:40 am
Thanks ruchelbuckle, this definetely warrants me finding out more.

Maybe I misrepresented my son...he is not a super nerdy type who is clueless because he's from OOT. He can keep up with the best of them. But bh we live in a place where these things are really not very important to our kids and I don't want him coming home feeling he's "missing out" on things (re gashmiyus).

I have heard only wonderful things about Chaveirim but we have a specific reason for not sending there. Nothing to do with frumkeit/ yeshieveshness. It's just not an option right now

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 12:30 pm
[quote="amother [ Taupe ]
Agudah Midwest-- a possibility, but boys is 2nd half, so not ideal.
Bonim-- sounds like a lot of sports

Would Camp Agudah be a good option for an OOT boy who isn't so into sports?

what else?[/quote]
Agudah Midwest is very into sports. Leagues are a major thing.

If he is at all interested in learning, maybe look into Camp Kol Torah in Cleveland (on Telshe Yeshiva's campus). I have grandsons who go there and love it.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 4:46 pm
I just want to come back and update for anyone reading this thread in the future. I spoke to a few people IRL and heard wonderful things about Achim. It is known to be a very well run camp and the heads really have a feel and pulse of what's going on with the campers.

They're pretty heavy on sports, lots of learning but not extreme. As far as gashmiyus, it has kids with their "hangups" but I was told that its not as bad as some of the other camps nowadays.

Thank you to all those that commented above. I don't want to discount anything anyone said, I just want to add information.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children