Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Using a kitchen designer together w good kitchen retailer?
1  2  Next

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 11:15 am
If someone uses Hershkowitz (Exquisite) to do their kitchen, and he knows layouts and kitchen design very well, is there a benefit to using a kitchen designer? If yes, what are the benefits?

As far as the Kitchen designers offered in another thread:

BRANTZY SCHWARTZ
FAIGY BLEIER
CHANIE REBENWORZEL
FISHMAN

What are their contact numbers and what are each of their strengths?

Do they charge by the hour, or by the job? What do they usually end up charging- total?

Thanks.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 8:36 pm
BUMP

Id love an answer to this.

If someone uses Hershkowitz (Exquisite) to do their kitchen, and he knows layouts and kitchen design very well, is there a benefit to using a kitchen designer? If yes, what are the benefits?

As far as the Kitchen designers offered in another thread:

BRANTZY SCHWARTZ
FAIGY BLEIER
CHANIE REBENWORZEL
FISHMAN

What are their contact numbers and what are each of their strengths?

Do they charge by the hour, or by the job? What do they usually end up charging- total?

Thanks.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 9:05 pm
The answer depends how important the kitchen layout is for you.
To me, my kitchen is my home. I practically live in that room, so I spend the extra money for a designer.

It depends if it's important enough to you to spend the money.

I don't know anything about the women you posted, but most do charge by the hour. $100-$200 an hour approx.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 9:37 pm
The design cost is hidden in the cabinet price — the shop budgets a certain amount of time for design. If you have a challenging space, the shop may not be willing to give it the time and thought required to come up with the best plan. And if you hire an independent designer, you may want to ask for a price break from the kitchen retailer because of it!

I am a space planner and kitchen designer. If you were a possible client in Baltimore I would also tell you:

• Because I have no financial incentive to upsell you into a higher line or pricier accoutrements.

• Because I'm an original thinker and often can spot things others do not.

• Because I can work with the adjacent spaces — even the layout of your entire home — to make it all work well together to fit your needs and make your spaces flow.

• Design is all I do. It's my passion. I would hope the New York designers you mentioned have that same passion for their work.

Generally, I charge by the hour but some designers charge by project.

Wishing you much hatzlacha with your new kitchen!

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 12:43 am
I have used Brantzy Schwartz for my kitchen and she really knows her stuff! She's so innovative and came up with so many smart ideas I never would have thought of.
She is a bit pricier than other designers though.
Also, she is rather opinionated. If you are clueless, then that's not an issue. But if you're into it, and have your own opinion, it might be a bit difficult.

Justlookup

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 1:43 am
Rubber ducky, I have a friend in Baltimore who's looking for such a designer - both for kitchen and other space planning. What's your contact info?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 8:28 am
Justlookup, you or your friend can go to my website:
design613.com and you will see my phone and email on the contact page. Or pm me.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 10:29 am
Miriam Scharf in BP amazing 718-236-2613

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 1:13 pm
Which of the above decorators are recommended, and can take on jobs NOW for Kitchen design in BP now, who arent already over-booked, with a waiting list?

I hear they charge about $100 an hour, how many hours is the typical job, to design a kitchen?

Any new people anyone can recommend for Kitchen Design for someone whose taste leans to the traditional side?

TIA

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 1:25 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Justlookup, you or your friend can go to my website:
design613.com and you will see my phone and email on the contact page. Or pm me.

Your work is gorgeous.

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 1:28 pm
I can't comment on specific recommendations since I am not in New York.

I just finished a complete remodel (kitchen and baths) and used a designer. The designer recommended that I use a cabinet maker because I wanted both aesthetic and functional elements and the cost for using a local cabinet maker would be less than using a semi-custom line with all the stuff I needed and wanted.

Depending on the size of your kitchen, there are ways to maximize storage and functionality which might not be addressed in the cookie cutter solutions of a designer who is working with a few cabinet lines - I.e. how much space is wasted by the need for fillers for example.

If you find a great kitchen/bath designer, they are more likely to create a much better designer incorporating more unique features. The reality is that designers in cabinet stores are really cabinet sales people - so they have different experience levels and well as talent. You are also wedded to the cabinets they sell - even if you don't go with a custom design from a local shop, an independent designer has no incentive to sell you a specific line and so you could wind up with a cabinet line that is better suited for what you want.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, whatever you do, get yourself over to the Houzz forums and read questions and solutions from other posters. You can post your own questions and layouts and the community there is invaluable. Many of the posters are professional designers who give great advice but regular non-professionals are also an invaluable source in terms of their own experiences and solutions.

At the very least, you should at least hire a designer for a few hours to go over your design for input on how it could be improved.

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Dec 22 2018, 9:28 pm
Can anyone recommend Kitchen designers who

1- work in BP

2- are relatively easy to get hold of, and make an appointment with?

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Dec 22 2018, 10:51 pm
Benzion Weinberg of Kitchen Connections happens to be an excellent designer. When I hired him, I noticed he had a keen understanding of creating a functional and aesthetically comfortable layout.

I never had a hard time reaching him.

You can hire him either as a designer and cabinet retailer or just one. My MIL used him as a designer and was really happy with how he laid out her space.

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Dec 22 2018, 11:03 pm
amother wrote:
Benzion Weinberg of Kitchen Connections happens to be an excellent designer. When I hired him, I noticed he had a keen understanding of creating a functional and aesthetically comfortable layout.

You can hire him either as a designer and cabinet retailer or just one. My MIL used him as a designer and was really happy with how he laid out her space.

I think I might have gone to him to buy cabinets and found his prices high, maybe higher than Hershkowitz from Exquisite.

For kitchen design only, what did he end up charging per hour, and how many hours were needed, or did he design for a flat fee?

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 12:13 am
I would be honest and tell him you had better pricing elsewhere. Most likely he'll work with you

I believe he charged flat fee for the design including measurements, 3D plans etc

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 12:30 am
amother wrote:

You MIL used someone else for cabinets? May I ask whom?

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 1:01 am
Just as RUBBER DUCKY mentioned: When you do kitchen design, you really need to incorporate the flow of the entire house. By taking a designer, they have the talent of doing the job with "taam" . I used Brantzy Schwartz. She definitely is not cheap. She also has rather expensive taste. However, I'm using my kitchen for 6 years bh, and love every detail. Also, everyone that walks in, raves about my kitchen. It has flow, simple and beautiful, airy and well-designed and practical. A kitchen is something you will use for many years, every single day. A designer, will also help you choose the right appliances, sinks, faucets etc. to

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 1:08 am
DH paid for a designer to draw up the plans. Then he shopped the kitchen and showed it to many designers who made free suggestions to the plans. They are willing to do that to existing plans. He incorporated many of the suggestions.

He shopped the cabinets extensively and got them for about a third of the average quote.

My kitchen is magnificent.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 1:12 am
amother wrote:
DH paid for a designer to draw up the plans. Then he shopped the kitchen and showed it to many designers who made free suggestions to the plans. They are willing to do that to existing plans. He incorporated many of the suggestions.

He shopped the cabinets extensively and got them for about a third of the average quote.

My kitchen is magnificent.

If youre in NY may I ask where the cabinets came from?

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 7:49 am
You MIL used someone else for cabinets? May I ask whom?

Her contractor provided the cabinets. I think basic Home Depot or similar
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics