Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Outlook express

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 10:19 am
a friend of mine just got a comp and barely knows how to use a mouse. her boss wants her to get outlook. it doesnt sound like she has microsoft office, only word. I think she needs to buy the program if she wants it. am I correct in telling her this? I don't think she can download it for free, but I told her I'll check.
please answer asap.
tia

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 10:20 am
doesn't it come with the computer?

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 10:32 am
EstiS wrote:
doesn't it come with the computer?

so how do you get it?

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 10:46 am
by buying a computer Mr. Green

ok seriously, tell her to go to start, and it should either somewhere above the start button or to the left of it, or else under all programs:

su7kids

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 10:49 am
If she has "word" its part of the Microsoft Office Suite, and so is Outlook.

Start
Programs
Micosoft Office
Outlook

look for it.

She may not have loaded it. Ask her if she has disks.

If she does, and she doesn't know much about computer,s she may want to find a teenager who can come to her office for a couple of hours and help her load her programs.

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 10:50 am
ok, I just did that and she still seems very confused. I told her to speak to her boss. honestly, I feel she shouldn't have taken the (summer) job, which is totally computer based, on the internet, as she so obviously doesn't qualify. nu, nu. what can you do.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 10:53 am
Quote:
If she has "word" its part of the Microsoft Office Suite, and so is Outlook.

don't confuse microsoft outlook with outlook express.
my outlook express was on my comp before I installed microsoft

su7kids

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 10:54 am
Quote:
her boss wants her to get outlook.

That's what she said. She put "outlook express" in the subject line.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 11:00 am
microsoft outlook is called microsoft outlook
if thats what she is looking for then thats what it is called

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 11:10 am
MosheDovid'sMom wrote:
ok, I just did that and she still seems very confused. I told her to speak to her boss. honestly, I feel she shouldn't have taken the (summer) job, which is totally computer based, on the internet, as she so obviously doesn't qualify. nu, nu. what can you do.
Isn't that interesting, when I've been working with computers for nine years, and don't feel qualified enough, I hesitate to apply, feel like I wouldn't succeed. This girl has total confidence, and lands a job despite no qualifications? How do you do that, what's the secret?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 11:10 am
I'm not sure of the current Microsoft situation, but there was a time Outlook Express came free and Microsoft Outlook needed to be bought.

Personally, both of those are tremendously buggy, and I have to deal with it every day because of clients who are messed up. I've found Mozilla Thunderbird (which is free) to be much more stable, and user-friendly as well. Although, you do have to know how to navigate menus, which it sounds like she doesn't Sad

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 11:14 am
Hashem _Yaazor, how do you get Outlook or outlook express to send e-mail directly? I've tried doing it, and sometimes it worked and sometimes not. Confused

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 12:05 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
Hashem _Yaazor, how do you get Outlook or outlook express to send e-mail directly? I've tried doing it, and sometimes it worked and sometimes not. Confused

You mean without pressing send/receive?
Directly where? I'm not sure what you're asking Smile

su7kids

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 12:23 pm
Are you wanting Outlook to be your default mail server? I wish I could make gmail mine! So far, its not an option.

Also, you can set your options to automatically check mail every few minutes, hours, or days, actually (as long as the program is open).

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 1:01 pm
What I mean is this: When I click on a link to send an e-mail, a message box opens up, it's from Word. When I click on send, I have no idea what happens to it, but it doesn't go anywhere. Confused Shouldn't Outlook send out the word messages? I have a broadband connection open all the time, so it doesn't have to dial up a connection, yet I can't send an e-mail without going to any of my old e-mail websites.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 2:33 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
What I mean is this: When I click on a link to send an e-mail, a message box opens up, it's from Word. When I click on send, I have no idea what happens to it, but it doesn't go anywhere. Confused Shouldn't Outlook send out the word messages? I have a broadband connection open all the time, so it doesn't have to dial up a connection, yet I can't send an e-mail without going to any of my old e-mail websites.

http://office.microsoft.com/en......aspx
MailTo:s in internet links shouldn't open up Word...this is a Windows question, not an outlook issue.

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 3:07 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
MosheDovid'sMom wrote:
Isn't that interesting, when I've been working with computers for nine years, and don't feel qualified enough, I hesitate to apply, feel like I wouldn't succeed. This girl has total confidence, and lands a job despite no qualifications? How do you do that, what's the secret?

I think she has connections. and I guess it doesn't bother her to work with no clue what she's doing. although I totally get what you are saying and agree. honestly, I don't know if she wants microsoft outlook or outlook express. anyways, I guess she worked it out bec she hasn't called me back.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics