Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby cries all day long

nicole81

Post Fri, Jul 01 2005, 12:15 am
I have a 3 month old, who wakes up all smiles in the morning and within 5 minutes is crying. it only goes downhill from there. she won't ever finish a bottle because she gets too worked up, so on top of whatever's bothering her, she's always hungry too. if I go out for a walk she cries. if we take a drive in the car, she cries. she never naps because she's too hungry/overtired. she wakes up 3 times a night, but at least she goes back to sleep. but all day long it's a constant battle to feed and soothe her. I mentioned this to her pediatrician last time and he just shrugged it off. I feel guilty because I'm going back to work in 2 weeks and I'm really looking forward to it. my daughter is sooo difficult-- any suggestions on what to do? she's my first. thanks:)

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Jul 01 2005, 12:21 am
Babies have only one way to commuicate with us and thats crying. Something is probably bothering her.

For a whole year my sons ped told me taht he was fine and that throwing up was normal. After a really hard year of my poor son vomiting numerous times a day and have severe inflamation of the throat. I finally found out that he was allergic to DAIRY. All my family and doctors told me taht he was just diffficult and it would pass. Yeah it passed ounce I stopped giving him dairy. So follow your instinct. You are her mother and know her best. Don't accept that its nothing if you don't feel comfortable with it.

baby's mom

Post Fri, Jul 01 2005, 12:45 am
well said PL, follow your instincts. Does she want to be held?
Are you nursing her?
My baby hates the car seat, when shes tired she yells and screams in it. (Unlike some babies who fall asleep in it) maybe she doesnt like sitting in the stroller...
Its very stressful for a baby to cry and not to know how to help him/her.
I hope you figure it out soon.

technic

Post Fri, Jul 01 2005, 9:38 am
I dont know ur baby BUT was it a difficult birth?...my first was long labour and only yrs later did I read that such experiences can make baby unsettled cos head is constricted (during labour)- cranial osteopathy can help but I didnt know that at the time Sad ...if its ANY comfort shes now batmitzva age and v happy - hardly cries at all Exclamation

lucky

Post Fri, Jul 01 2005, 11:17 am
Most of my kids cried endlessly. No babysitter would take them twice. But with each child there was a different cause.

Always follow your instincts! Mother knows best!

Digestive trouble is common in infants. maybe it is something you eat.(if u r nursing)
Some kids r very sensitive to noise, light, and stimulation.
Some babies have reflux, which dr. told me feels like constant heartburn.
It is NOT NORMAL for baby to cry so much.
Try switching formula. Try a noise machine, it calms some babies. Maybe u should get a second opinion?

When your daughter wakes in the morning, r u already tense "because she is going to cry all day"

baby's mom

Post Fri, Jul 01 2005, 12:31 pm
how about massaging her? That may calm her down.
You can try taking ehr to a chiropractor too!

proudmom

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 7:19 pm
she might be colicky. Her stomach might be bothering her. Try massaging her belly and push her legs up to her stomach and see if she will relieve some gas.

Mandy

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 7:57 pm
I had a friend who had a colicky, cranky baby and she read some famous book where the author says that babies need the womb environment re-created. And he says you have to take very specific steps : swaddle the baby in a tight blanky, rock her in a rhymthic and strong motion, have some white noise ( static) and some other things. It worked for her. Not instantly but her baby was much better. I can try to get the name of the book if u want.

baby's mom

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 10:22 pm
Mandy

sounds like the book "the happiest baby on the block" by Dr. Sears.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 11:00 pm
I was pumping for her (she refused to nurse- a whole other story) and supplementing with formula, but she was crying all the time that it was way too time consuming for me, and since I am going back to work in a week anyway, I decided to switch 100% to formula starting friday. well since friday I wouldn't say she's been 100% happy, but what baby is? there's been such an improvement with her. it must've been something in my diet. I do the leg movements with her and she lets out a lot of gas so I think that's also a problem. she still is a cranky little one, but her moods were soooo much more manageable this weekend. and without having to spend hours pumping each day, I have more time to play with her and I also think that makes her happier. I just hope this wasn't a one time thing and she stays this way!

lucky

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 11:08 pm
Nicole, how is your baby doing? A crying baby challenges your coping skills. My kids all cried most of the day. sometimes the solution is to get away from your baby. You will come home from work you wont be so upset that she is crying since u didn't listen to it all day. My youngest I used to send to a babysitter for 3 hrs a day, just because I couldn't listen to her cry anymore.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 11:14 pm
lucky, that's how I feel. I know that when I go back to work, I'm going to be so much more excited to see her and even if she's crying I'll probably handle it much better. I try to handle it now as best as possible, but by the end of the day, sometimes I'm a mess too:)

smile

Post Mon, Jul 04 2005, 2:36 pm
My sister in law had also a baby crying non stop and not being happy. She tried many things till one doctor told her that the baby eats to much and she should nurse her less. for example leave it out once a night. ok at the beginning she was crying but next day she was much happier. So she started feeding her less even leaving it out at night. Since then the baby is much happier.
So try to be careful not to feed whenever the baby is crying it might be that she is too full.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Jul 05 2005, 6:14 pm
unless you wanted to anyway, don't give up nursing b/c of the crying. you can elimate things in your diet that cause gas.
Also - for gas you can give Mylecon drops (I'm just not sure if there's a kashrus problem with it)

lucky

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 10:48 am
Mylicon was my lifesaver with each of my kids.

1stimer

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 11:45 am
If you can hang in there it does get easier though.

Good luck

nicole81

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 3:00 pm
if I were nursing, I wouldn't have quit. but my baby only wanted a bottle. she gradually developed less and less interest in me, and I was almost exclusively pumping. this is extremely difficult, as I was spending at least 30 minutes each time to get a decent amount, and this was every few hours. plus then I had to wash the pieces and the bottles, and it's all very time consuming. when you have a baby who is crying all the time, you don't want to be dealing with the pump, you want to be holding her. it's amazing that instead of pumping first thing in the morning I play with her, and she's happy for hours, instead of crying for hours! especially because I'm starting work tomorrow (very long hours), I want to spend my time at home taking care of her. iy"h in the future I'll have a baby who actually likes to nurse!

1stimer

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 3:55 pm
Good for you!

malky

Post Wed, Aug 03 2005, 4:06 pm
[quote="lucky"]Mylicon was my lifesaver with each of my kids.[/quote]

check with ur pediatrician first before using it - not all dr's like it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics